[News] [Staff] TV Demonstrator

Here you can find side projects of the staff and great projects which we think should get extra support. (Note that featured products are not products of MaxCoderz)

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

[News] [Staff] TV Demonstrator

Post by benryves »

The TV demonstrator is an easy-to-build electronic device that allows you to take a screenshot of your calculator display and show it on an NTSC or PAL television set. It's based around an inexpensive ATmega168 microcontroller and only requires a handful of additional components.
Unlike the TI-Presenter™ this does not require a special calculator or a USB adaptor; it uses the 2.5mm link port. The chief disadvantage of this method is that it does not automatically mirror what is shown on the calculator's display on the television; you need to press a button to manually capture the calculator's display.

The TV Demonstrator will only work in situations where the calculator allows you to capture a screenshot via the link port. It will therefore work in most places within the calculator's operating system, but will not work when the calculator is busy or otherwise not responding to screenshot requests. If in doubt, try using the screenshot function within your calculator linking software of choice to determine when it will work and when it won't.

For more information as well as downloads, please see the dedicated TV Demonstrator page.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: [News] [Staff] TV Demonstrator

Post by tr1p1ea »

Amazing and very useful at the same time!

As usual great work ben, you always manage to pleasantly suprise us with your genius :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Thank you tr1p1ea; I'm not sure if it's that useful in its current incarnation but people may find other uses for a 96x64 pixel graphical TV output library and some TI calculator linking routines.
Art_of_camelot

Post by Art_of_camelot »

Didn't you have an older topic about this floating around on the board somewhere? I could swear I've seen it here somewhere. Pretty cool nonetheless. It's also nice to see that the front page news is up and working. Are you guys planning on updating the color scheme to match the rest of the website?
Projects:
Projects:TBA-Soonish. :)
Updated 5/3/12
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Thanks; you may be thinking of this old PAL project.

I do wish I had a copy of the old forum theme, but sadly do not.
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Yeah me too ha. That red and tan was my favorite. I like the dark color too, but it wasn't quite the same MC feel.

Oh and let me say that could certainly be useful Ben.
The Revolution is here...
Art_of_camelot

Post by Art_of_camelot »

@Ben: I do remember that topic, maybe that was what I was thinking of. I'm not sure. Maybe I saw it on your personal website. My memory is a bit foggy at the moment.
In regards to the "News" page I just meant was the color scheme going to be changed to match the current color scheme of the rest of the forums.
Projects:
Projects:TBA-Soonish. :)
Updated 5/3/12
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I think it would have been a popular project (where one could manufacture them for profit) back in the 83+ hayday :). Awesome project ben, you are the king of external displaying!