[LOOM] Loom - A Mystical Adventure Game

Projects that are no longer in development anymore.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Looks like he is using pindurti to make screenshots.

Looking good.
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

PindurTI it is :)
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Looking good, i tried to early build and it is pretty nice. Good stuff L4E_WakaMol-King :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

If anyone actually downloaded and tried the file that I posted on the PindurTI thread, let me know what you think. Is it too slow? I can speed it up at the click of a button... but I think right now the animation moves at about the right speed.

It doesn't seem like much, but there is more code in it than meets the eye. Obviously, each time you move there are 4 frames of animation... and while you are in the process of moving, you cannot do any other actions. But the move animation isn't its own CPU-hogging routine. Even though you can't do anything, the calc is in idle mode at all times, except when displaying a new frame. That means other stuff can potentially be going on unhindered in the background while you move, like animated sprites or other characters moving around. This demo doesn't take advantage of that capability, but it will be a blessing later. The only advantage to it right now is that you can exit the game in the middle of a move. For example, you could walk to the right and press the DEL button in the middle of the animation, and you would immediately exit the game.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

I've never said you should release it, I'd just want to take a look at it to 1. learn myself (because I'm not that good an ASM coder myself) 2. see if i can help a bit, with optimization/faults :p And the screenshot looks awesome, nice work! And the thing u just explained sounds really ingenious ;)
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Looks excellent. One thing, I haven't played the original so I don't know if it has this, but I'd say you could use some floor tiles and a little more detail on the column tiles. Otherwise, looks great, and it's an interesting graphical concept I haven't really seen anything like on the 83- in some ways it's a bit like what I'm trying to do with Aura.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

I was thinking about floor tiles also... but none of my designs looked very good. If anyone would like to design a floor tile or redesign any of the tiles in that screenie, please do so and I will plug them in and see what they look like.
gangsta
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by gangsta »

can u post a spritesheet, b/c i need to work on my pixel-arting skills w/ front n back views...
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

There is one a page or two back... not actually a sprite sheet, but it's pretty obvious where they break down. They are 16 x 16.
elfprince13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by elfprince13 »

this game looks ubersweet
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

I must say this game looks very nice indeed! Keep it up king...
The Revolution is here...
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

yes, it looks great. I do hope that you don't permenantly give up on quest quest though.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

I may pick it back up once Loom is done. One of the problems with that project was trying to come up with a decent story line that still had enough challenging puzzles in it. The nice thing about porting Loom is that the story is already done (though I am adding a few little extra bits).

Latest update: Now I have the walking engine working such that you can't walk on top of walls or items. I also have the text display box working.

Next on the list of things to do is to get the main program talking to the data file so that you can actually look at things. Once that's done, I have to get the scroll engine working automatically and add in some of the script engine pieces so that you can actually play an interesting demo.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

It's good to hear that this is progressing so well. I don't think I've ever seen any calc programmer go from idea to working public demo as fast as you have with quest quest, and seem to be ready to do with this. I'm really impressed with what you're accomplishing, and I always love a demo. Great job. :)
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

yes, this is coming together nicely it sounds like. Keep it up! :wink:
The Revolution is here...