[MARIO] Mario

Projects that are no longer in development anymore.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

I'm just using it, but its gonna be removed because getInput should check that.
teoryn

Post by teoryn »

Home-Made object oriented programming in asm, very cool.

Looking really good, I might actually have to start playing calc games again :D
You've seen the posts, now see the sites!
http://hiddenuniverse.blogspot.com
http://teoryn.deviantart.com
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow Duck, that is very advanced! I really like it when you can write a handful of functions that are not written for anything specifically, rather can be used for a whole load of things. Sounds like you have thought a great deal about this engine :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

Duck wrote:Which Mario sprites do you not like? Small mario or big mario? I've done my very best to make these as mario'ish as i could. Actually i especially like the big mario.
If you can draw anything better, try. I would consider using them.
hmm okay, this is what i made:
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

very nice man! Those are damn good! Yes, Duck, it seems you put a whole lot of thought into this engine! Which is great to hear! Keep us posted on this beaut!
The Revolution is here...
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

Hey, these sprites are indeed actually quit good. Once there's a Mario board I will make a poll :) I've got some alternatives lying around as well.

Just now I've fixed the bug I mentioned earlier. At this moment I'm working on improving the inter-object collision code. I need a good stable one before I can start on making the moving shell kill enemies and implementing Flower mario.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

When is there going to be a Mario Forum?
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Very proffesional Duck :). I know that in proffesional game engines (atleast in HL2) every object also has a set of standard methods and variables and new objects derive from that class and add functionality.

I was also planning on making a uniform object handler but it wasn't going to implement it so strict as yours :o .
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

Well its not really really strict, but its just the best way to do it for this game. Much things are a like for a lot of objects.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Don't call your primary functions. Include the code straight into the main loop.

#include "objects.asm"
etc.

It will still be tidy.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Hey duck, good work man! I know from my small steps with Indiana Jones, that it really can get confusing to have different objects on screen and handle for each one the actions to be done. It get's very hard to read after a while... maybe you could write a tutorial about this? :twisted:
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

spencer wrote:Don't call your primary functions. Include the code straight into the main loop.

#include "objects.asm"
etc.

It will still be tidy.
The functions arent just called in the main loop, but also in some other parts (like in some animations, when you need object movement but no player input, or in the future for example to show a game demo at the background of the menu).

Well, i dont really like writing tutorials about his kind of stuff because it is mainly based on common stuff most people know, and if it works well for me it doesnt necesseraly work well for you... But if you want to know, these are some rough guidelines I use. On the top level, split your important loops (menu, gameloop) into well distinguisable parts/functions. When writing a (sub) function, think well about if it should be split into several parts. When writing a function, define the input and output well, and put the information at the functions name. This way you wont have to read all the code to understand it the next time you see it.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

I'd call this approach 'feature-oriented' instead of OO, since entities are rather combinations of properties than separate black boxes. It's a clever idea nevertheless, and it allows for great freedom when properly implemented. The glue code is the key here.

You could still throw together a white paper about the architecture. Not a tutorial-type writing.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I wish to do something similar with what i am working on atm :).

I wouldnt waste your time making a document of any kind about it, it would take up precious coding time! :D.

:shock: - 200th post :roll:.
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

Have you ever looked into the Super Mario 3 romhacking tools out there? It seems that it would be quite possible to write a level loader that takes in the original NES levels.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.