EarlyMorning - Progress & Discussion

One suite to code them all. An complete IDE and assembler for all your z80 projects!

Moderators: benryves, kv83

kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Isn't a table enough? You know the start label (map) and just add the values of the table to that label

Code: Select all

ld  hl,maptable
ld  d,$00
ld  e,3 ;We want to load level 3
add hl,de
ld  a, (hl)
ld  e,a
ld  hl,maps
add hl,de ;hl-pointer points now to level3.
Of course I agree that it needs to be part of EM, since that is the source of output, and it should do it in a way so that programmers don't have to edit the .inc file anymore.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Thats several bytes of code just to get 1 map. But in any case that only allows for a map collection to have its last map to be no further than 256 bytes away from the start. For comparisons sake that means that slippy could only have 3 maps in one collection.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Of course the table could be 16bit instead of 8bit. Another approach would be that you only give the length of each map and loop through the table until you have the adress of the map you want.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

The next release of EM will be delayed a lot. (Sorry Jim). I have to rewrite a lot of the core-files, including the classes which handle resources like sprites and maps.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Ok. I got a "compiling version" again. There are a lot of "bugs" I have to fix now, since the core-files are really changed and not everything still works as it did before. It's really try&guessing where errors can occur, but at least I can start it up again :P

The new version will break compatibility with previous versions, so you might want to wait till the new version is out before starting a new emr file. I propably make a little "conversion tool" so that you can update your old .emr files to the new version :)
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

If you guys thought this would be dead, guess again. I'm currently starting from scratch, writing a whole new framework for EarlyMorning. This time i'll make use of the ability to use library's (dll) a lot. Also everything will be redone in C#. I'll use my experience I gathered in the "old" EarlyMorning to organize things better (and make everything more generic, which will make it even better to change things later on).

Also i'm planning to make it opensource as soon as I get a stable first version, so if everyone is intrested to look into the source or even want to expand it, just wait a little longer :)

(A nice feature is btw, that with the new organization other tools, like LateNite, could "use" the controls from EarlyMorning. Imagine having the sprite editor starting up within LateNite instead of EM. :) )
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Sounds great! :)

I have some code you might (?) find useful - a Floyd-Steinberg dithering implementation, Photoshop palette file loader and Photoshop-styled colour picker. I know it's colour-related and the TI doesn't give us much to play with, but it might be useful for dithering images to B/W or TI greyscale. (I wrote it to help convert images to the SMS).
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Would be very nice, since importing bmp's was a headache till now. Also, EM will propably also be able to handle more colors than 16... (256 for example.)
Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

How does this work? I can't figure out how to import bitmaps or even copy and paste images in. I like the arbitrary zoom.

Buildscript wizards looks great and generates buildscript_new.txt -- but crashes when I click finish twice ("index was outside the bounds of the array"). The first time it didn't do anything.

Then when click build, it says there's no buildfile or its corrupt.

If this works, I'd gladly write a plugin to do Zelda's map compression and use this as a sprite/map manager.

Edit: Ahh, I figured out why it can't build. It wants both a buildscript.txt and buildscript_new.txt -- as I just started using it there's no buildscript.txt. Copying the file and renaming solved that problem. But I still can't use it until I can import my images.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

How does this work? I can't figure out how to import bitmaps or even copy and paste images in.
There is no import for bitmap or pasting pictures yet. It's on the TODO list though. (Will come supported if I step over to a new control to draw the bitmaps actually)

There are quite some bugs int he current version. Never got around to work on a new version, but I might just do that soon :)
tribal

Post by tribal »

Wow... been awhile... hope this isn't dead...

Anyway if it isn't I was wondering if this could get animation support. That would be great :D
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

It's more dead than alive.