[Staff][Dev] Project Dark

Here you can find side projects of the staff and great projects which we think should get extra support. (Note that featured projects are not projects by staff members of MaxCoderz)

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

dargx001

wow

Post by dargx001 »

if you need any help with the battle system let me know and tell me what type and if its used in a game and ill see what i can do but i really would love to work on it and be in on such an amazing project
the minnions are gathering and resurections are coming.
sincerely,
deaths minion, Dargx001
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Tankies is nearing its completion by the day, and hopefully shall be released before 2006 (wishful thinking.. heh). And I did say I'd be working on Project Dark once I finished Tankies.

Basically, I'm just saying to expect some activity soon. :)
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

what heven't you finished yet?
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Check the tankies board, I made a new topic.
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Ah, New Year's Eve. Such a fun day. Anyhow, tonight I more than tripled the number of eyes that a player can choose for their character, as well as those eyes being used on npcs throughout the game. I wasn't kidding when I said that the character will be very customizable. Just graphics for now but since it's a multiple of 4 (2 bits wide, 2*4=8, yay 8 bits) I can easily nab and use the eye graphics data in the engine (which I'm not going to work on until Tankies is done, that's a promise). If I calculated correctly, ALL 28*4 of those eyes combined is only 168 bytes of data. Small if you think about it. And here are the eyes:

There are 4 different directions for each eye color: forward, up, down, and behind/to the side. Theres a fifth too but all of the eyes have the same graphic for blinking, so I didn't include that in there.
Last edited by DarkAuron on Sun 19 Aug, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Looks great and good to hear it is being worked on still along with Tankies :P. Some of those sprites remind me of bobble bobble.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

I moved this topic. I hope ya don't mind... Very nice sprites indeed :)
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

Yeah, that's really cool. Customizable characters.....on a calculator!!! Who woulda thought?
cheese=yum
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

I'm guessing this is an ASM RPG? or basic with xlib?

Customizable characters are so cool! Too bad xbox rpgs like Jade Empire and KOTOR have such limited customizations.
Image Image Image
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I'm pretty sure this is assembly.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Yeah it's assembly.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Yes it will be made in ASM, and those sprites are awesome DarkAuron!

I know that i have said it before, but this just might become one of the greatest calc games ever made :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Wow DA...customizable characters. Nice man I cant wait to see the fruits of your labor! :)
The Revolution is here...
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

The character will be able to face in 4 directions: left, right, up, and down. Left will be a mirror of right, and the eyes for facing the screen are the same as the eyes for facing left/right, just one eye will be mirrored of the other, thus I don't have to use up any more space. I arranged the sequence of the eyes a little bit better, and created 4 more. I think I'll probably stop at 32 though.. since I have to have multiples of 4, and adding more at this point is tedious. 32 is plenty though, right? :)

I figure for the engine I could just prevent eye movements for those last 8 that don't have pupils (the very last one is no eyes at all, which is kinda freaky), thus saving me some space and making up for the 4 eyes I added.

Here's the updated left/right eye sheet, plus another sheet for the forward direction, and then the 4 directions of my sprite (still in the works but I'm satisfied for now).

Image Image

Oh, and the reason why the forward-direction sheet is smaller is because I took out the side-view strip. Forward can look both left and right, using the same graphic for both eyes instead of mirroring one eye.
Last edited by DarkAuron on Sun 19 Aug, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Can we customize clothing too?
Image Image Image