[Staff][Dev] Project Dark

Here you can find side projects of the staff and great projects which we think should get extra support. (Note that featured projects are not projects by staff members of MaxCoderz)

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Also remember, this project is still under the planning stage.. I don't know everything that's gonna be in it yet :P
Last edited by DarkAuron on Sat 25 Jun, 2005 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

yes you do, remember? it's supposed to be:

good stuff! :P
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Okay, apparently I'm getting off on a bad start for this little game I'm playing with you all, but.. I had a bad day today. Sorta. I've been very tired all day for no reason, and been stressed a tad bit.. eh.

Next bit of info: it's gonna be live action. :sick:
merthsoft
Extreme Poster

Post by merthsoft »

Awsome, this sounds more and more tempting, keep up the bad work ;)
Shaun
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Live action rpg? o_O Tjis project sounds more like Aura everything you post.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Well so far, but as I give more details it'll stray from Aura :P This project will be a learning experience for me, artistically because I've not really done any non-sprite pixelation before. Most of the tiles I've made so far weren't very good IMO, simply because their color was too bright. But since I'm dealing with 4 specific colors only in a balanced set, it should work better. We'll see.
Comikal

Post by Comikal »

heh, another live-action rpg in the works. Nice. I can't wait to see how the game will actually play. If you need any beta testers (I won't be available from July 17th to August 12th tho) I'm game.

Off topic: I don't wanna steal the spotlight from DA, but what are some good greyscale libs.
Working on my FastRPL physics sim.
Game in planning stages.
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Considering I havn't done anything work-related lately except help my dad fix the fence, havn't worked on Tankies, and have had to deal with the ever so crappily-falling #tcpa and its n00bish users that ruin the place, I havn't had the will to do much lately. And the suspense is killing me with bringing out the plans for this project. So sadly, I'm giving in: I'm gonna give some of the juicies!

My main plans for it involve.. oh how should I start, let's start with the movement system. It'll be in a 2.5D movement system (I think that's the correct term for it) where you can move left, right, jump up and fall down, and also move distant and far. If you've played river city ransom, mario & luigi superstar saga, or double dragon, among other games, you'd know what I'm talking about.

The stats system will be growth-based. Instead of gaining experience and leveling up with static growth or using a point building system, it'll ignore the whole level system and each stat will grow on its own depending on what you're doing. If you run amuck slashing monsters with your sword and neglect your magic, your magic abilities will drop to nothing, and vice-versa. How this would work is there'll be a change variable that will have a constantly changing value. If you use physical abilities and attacks, that'll decrease the magic change variable, and if it gets negative, it'll subtract from your magic-related stats every now and then. But to keep it balanced there'll be buffer variables so that it'd be possible to raise all stats in a balanced manner, just not nearly as fast of a growth rate if you based yourself on one side. It's a bit hard to explain how this works, some of you might understand, others might not.

Also what's different is the use of magic and regenerating life and magic. During gameplay theres 3 meters at the topleft, one for life remaining, one for magic remaining, and the third one is the regeneration bar. That bar fills up slowly, and when it's completely full, it'll add to life and restart. Magic on the other hand regenerates by itself, but it's a bit special. You can use all the magic that you have, and more because if you run out of magic, you can drain from the regeneration bar, as well as your life. This can be a bad thing however, because you can die from magic abuse. Also doing this can reduce, by a fraction, some of your physical stats. So you can get crazy with magic use but there are consequences! This brings a slightly new system I've never encountered before, and it may bring a new rpg experience.

The stats for magic and skills will also be focused on their subclasses: for physical attacks and such, special skills and built up abilities will be based on the type of weapon you use, like axes, bows, swords, spears, etc. For magic there'll be focus for different core elements such as air, earth, water , and fire, but there'll also be pure neutral magic that won't be as damaging but won't have to deal with major resistances and element types whilst fighting.

Equipment will be mostly standard, although I'm thinking on how to do a system for simple upgradeability/forging that allows you to maximize the performance of a single piece of equipment, even a simple piece of cloth could have special properties (not necessarily magic ones).

Instead of being based on a linear plot, there'll be many many quests to get if you talk with npcs. I'm going to try and make them dynamic so they'll be given to you depending on what kind of stats you've got so they're not too hard or too easy to do.. for example a quest involving getting a special magic item that magic users would need would be given if you've got high magic stats and low physical stats. Such a detection isn't that complicated to do, I would just have a very large quest database to fulfill this. Which is why I don't think I could fit this game on a standard ti-83+ :)

Not only will the quests be more interesting and far less linear of a plot, but allow for a dynamically changing world that immerses itself on what you do in it. Not so much that the entire game changes from one thing you do, but gradual changes. I don't see why such a game isn't feasible on a calculator, just most people would think it's too much to work for. And thus, you might lose track of what quests you've got going, so I will probably implement a journal-based system allowing you to view quests you've done so far and what you need to do, and they'd be categorized as well.

The NPCs hopefully won't be spitting out the same exact line every time you talk to them either, I'll see about making some kind of text tree based on personalities and types of topics for them to talk about. It'll be more interesting if I can pull it off.

Really alot of that stuff that seems dynamic just requires lots of hand-made creation and labeling to allow for it. Now, that basically summarizes the main stuff, I won't get into details as I don't really have any yet. Still under planning stage 8)

I planned to keep this slightly under wraps for awhile because if I decided not to do it, I could just cancel the idea and no one would really be disappointed. But I think I'm going to go for it now. Which is why I decided to release all this info.

Needless to say, I think I might need a few people to help me with this project. As in for the entire duration of it. But not now. Especially since I havn't started it yet, I'm just planning things.

Some of you may think some of these things are too unreal to have on a calculator, that it isn't feasible to have them because they'd be too utterly complicated and not fast/small enough to work for the calc. But see, these are ideas in the planning stage, it doesn't mean they'll be there the entire time. I'm just hoping I can do that.

As for a name, I don't have one yet. Oh, and please don't ask if you can work on the project with me. I'm not really going to take requests like that, especially not NOW. So don't, really.. don't. Don't ask for beta testing either, that'll be decided much much much later. Also don't expect it to be finished within the next 2 years :P
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Sound nice so far, I hope to see this project finished in the future :)

And yeah about #tcpa I saw what happened this afternoon, altough I wasnt really involved in the discussion this was the complete opposite of what is Omnimaga, Calchaven and TI-Freak Ware :evil:

Its sad to see how ppl can be, sometimes the channel is peaceful then someone comes in and disturb and annoy everyone
ImageImageImageImage
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Also to add to that, remember this stuff?:

That style will probably be used in the game. 8)

Oh, and also, the character will be a bit customizable (male only, sorry girls.. if there are any!) for hair style and eye color/type. I've already got a lot of them made :D Also all the equipment that is worn will effect all the frames of the character on what he looks like. So if you equip a sword, he'll be holding a sword. If you take off all his armor and clothing, he'll be running around in his undies. Etc. :roll:
Last edited by DarkAuron on Sun 19 Aug, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

why no girl? she could have a different advantage than a boy. Say guys would be stronger but girls more agile. Why can't we have girl running around in her undies instead of a boy? :P :lol: jk jk

Sounds great so far. But it also sounds like it's gonna take a while. :(
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Wow, sounds really cool- we need some non-run-of-the-mill rpgs around here.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Ahh you spilled the beans DarkAuron :), although i did know some of the info its nice to read your peliminary plans.

This could very well become one of the greatest calculator ... actually not just calculator but one of the greatest games ever concieved :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Possibly. At the moment I'm doing some sprite ripping and color conversion so I can study patterns like brickwork, rock formations, fire, fur, etc. to improve and broaden my pixel art skills. I'm going to have to for this project.
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Looking good mate, and the plans you have are also nicely thought out. I am looking forward for the progress. And remember: 'don't let tha hataz stop you from doin' ya thang!'. Aight?
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version