[Staff][Dev] Project Dark

Here you can find side projects of the staff and great projects which we think should get extra support. (Note that featured projects are not projects by staff members of MaxCoderz)

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

[Staff][Dev] Project Dark

Post by DarkAuron »

After Tankies is finished, I'll be starting a new project. Until after then, I won't give any details on it, except for what's in this post. I've been planning on it and thinking about what I want to do in it, and I'm figuring it probably won't be able to fit on a regular ti-83+, even with compression.

The project will be very involved, with *MANY* sprite images, LOTS of data, and a ton of flexibility and variance to boot. I'm promising myself to not work on any other side projects once I start this. It'll be that big. In fact this is the kind of project I've been planning for years, it's just now evolving in my head.

And it'll be in full blown z80, in grayscale. Not only that but I might be using Jim's RGP for the grayscale, hopefully taking full advantage of the crystal timers for speed and perfection.

I'm not going to say what kind of game it'll be, any names, or any ideas. I'm just simply announcing that I *will* start this after Tankies.

Until then ideas might totally change, or stay the same. Only time can say what'll happen, so.. discuss about this if you wish, I'm just here to say I've got future plans. :)
Last edited by DarkAuron on Wed 29 Jun, 2005 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
Spooner

Post by Spooner »

Finish tankies I WANT TO HERE MORE!!!! This sounds awsome I hope this project can go through. You seem to have most of the game laid out now you just have to make it.
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

what happened to your avatar?

this sound really good I wouuldn't munt helping with sprites...
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Sounds like the project I'm doing after Ender's Game- Aura. Not that it sounds like a similar game, but the sheer size, complexity and attention required.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

@thecheat: I changed my avatar to a 4 level grayscale pic of Auron's head, which I created by converting in iStudio and then doing a bunch of editing. As for the sprites, thanks for the offer but I'm going for a specific style and your pixel art is far too different.
Last edited by DarkAuron on Sat 25 Jun, 2005 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spooner

Post by Spooner »

How does this look for a sprite I know it looks like crud but it took me 2 hours it was the first one I have ever done.

DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

It's too big to be a sprite, but for your first one that's pretty good! It almost looks hand-drawn with a pencil :) A few things to note though: The head needs to be rounded more, the arms look rather disfigured and either the legs are too long or the arms are too short, it's hard to tell. The waist seems a bit too large or at least the thighs do, and the feet should be about the same size. Also you *might* want to add a bit more hair, but the hair that's there, being all wavy is really cool :D That's a good start, it's just too big to be a sprite. Sprites on the calc are almost always 16x24 or less, depending on what kind of sprite it is. Some people think that even 16x24 is too big.
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

it sounds like you're going for a more ah japenese style pixil art correct...?
if so well oh well you could tell what you want it to look like because I would like to try... :roll:
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

thecheat wrote:it sounds like you're going for a more ah japenese style pixil art correct...?
if so well oh well you could tell what you want it to look like because I would like to try... :roll:
DA's a talented pixel artist by himself. And the sound of this project he whats to do pretty much every thing him self.

But come now DA, a little hint would be nice. Role playing?
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Jim e wrote:DA's a talented pixel artist by himself
That, my friend, is an understatement. Tankies is a cool game, but it doesn't really reuire pixel art skillz. Man I can't wait to see a huge game with DA graphics!

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Tankies doesn't have my only existant pixel art you know..

Last edited by DarkAuron on Sun 19 Aug, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spooner

Post by Spooner »

Dang auron I guess you don't need any help those are really good. You must have put alot of time into that.
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

A good chunk of my life I suppose :) It all started with the desire to make my own characters and pixel art for my RM2k project. After getting some advice from some great artists I started developing my own style, and I continue to get better, teaching myself to fix things and make them look better, more detailed, and less choppy even at such small spaces. It takes patience, dedication, and love for your own art to keep at it.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow! Although i have seen all of those gfx before .. i have never seen them all on the same page!!!! That is awesome! :)

You big project is going to be sweet ... whatever it may be :twisted:.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Okay, I've got a fun idea, kindof like a personal game: each day I'll either vow myself to work on tankies for at least 30 minutes, OR if I fail to meet this, release another small bit of info about the upcoming project. I want to keep it rather secret but if I don't work on tankies, it deserves to be spilled out. Nyahahaha! Even more so, I'll post a daily update on my site (which I'll give a link to) on what I did for tankies. This'll be good.