[Featured][Dev]Robot War 2: Official Announcement

Here you can find side projects of the staff and great projects which we think should get extra support. (Note that featured projects are not projects by staff members of MaxCoderz)

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DigiTan
Calc Master

Re: [Featured][Dev]Robot War 2: Official Announcement

Post by DigiTan »

Here's an update from the crane zones of JET Fortress. In order to reach your objective in this stage, you'll need to use the barrels, weapons, and other combustibles to clear a path through these breakable blocks. But don't hang on too long, or the barrels will take out your crane too!

If you mess up, run out of barrels, or wreck your crane, you can hit [mode] to escape crane mode and try again. And you get unlimited tries.
  • Barrels - Your basic block-clearing tool.
  • Missiles - They blow up only when dropped.
  • Mines - Same as missiles
  • Guns - Can shoot blocks away. But avoid its bullets
  • Tanks - *secret*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
So, in November it's all going to be about porting this thing to 83+ flash. Some basic codes have already been written and it shouldn't be long until the graphics routines are converted over. The TI-82 version will be packaged as a Lite Edition that is mostly an action beat-em-up. The Flash Edition contains complete RPG elements and other enhanced features.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
Wesley

Post by Wesley »

Wow, what else is there to say. I think everyone else already expressed my astonishment on this project. I am still being dazzled by the power of a calculator :twisted: . Sometimes I hold my calculator and chant the words "feel the power" :worship: . I can't get over what my, once seemingly math calculating gimmick, calculator can do!
These things simply are amazing. I can't wait until I start understanding programming some more.
ImageImage
ImageImage
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Thanks. Well, I should also thank Spencer for urging me to keep coding on this project. Or else I might be hooked on Tribes:Vengeance again. :D

Update: The level-up system was finally added this week. Just like with the first Robot War: each level-up grants an across-the-board +1 bonus to all eight of your major stats:
  • HP and HP capacity
  • EP and EP capacity
  • Attack
  • Defense
  • Speed
  • Level
...Plus one additional +1 point somewhere based on your diet. Promotions get triggered when you collect enough free skill points (♪). The amount you need will increase with each level gained. So far, I've had the ♪ indicator giving your running total of free skill. From now on, it will modified to show the remaining ♪ points needed until a level up occurs.

You'll start the game at LEVEL 0. As soon as you win your first battle and collect the point, you'll meet the requirements for a LEVEL 1 promotion. It only takes a few minutes to get up to LEVEL 5, but the others will take some time. As you advance in the game, you'll have better options for collecting ♪ points in bulk. Large enemies tend to drop crates, which might contain up to 12 ♪'s that scatter out on contact (see Grand Grove video). Similar crates will give instant rewards in the dozens. And bosses can offer payoff's in the hundreds. Excess points will roll over into the next level.
Projects:

DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Here is the planned sprite sheet for the JET Fortress stage. This week, a persistent graphics bug was fixed and several new areas of this region were completed. So it's almost time for another animated trailer.

Just some minor trivia:
  • JET = Joint Earth Tribunals or "Area 22"
  • Unlike previous regions, there are no inns or restaurants. Supplies are well-hidden.
  • Enemies are primarily the metal and earth types.
  • It's the 4th of the 5 total regions in the game.
  • There are more enemies per map than any other region.
Projects:

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

:shock: Some really impressive sprite work there DigiTan. How on earth are you doing this all by yourself?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Yep. I really had to make JF an especially cool place because it's my favorite level so far. And the visual layout is a lot like an improved RW1 base.

So far, the Sentinel is my favorite enemy and probably the most-improved. In the Oceanside video, it only flew around. But now, it scavenges up metal objects to use as a revolving shield. And it can use some really off-the-wall stuff like chemical barrels, ninja stars, and even gold coins. Then it flings them at you (pretty darn hard too :rofl: ). The Golem will be a special code challenge, as it's the most complex enemy so far. And of course you've got the Nightwing, which is the biggest and fastest game object so far.
Projects:

DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Heads up! The abridged RW2 storyline has made it to the 83+ version!

Years ago, Dr. Edmund waged war on humanity with his army of drones. The hero -Edgar- used artificial PSI to topple him. Sensing a new threat, Edgar journeys to Oceanside to rebuild the Institute that trained him. Good luck!

...Keeping with the trend set by RW1, both the flash and non-flash versions feature some sort of cogwheel/sprocket in their main screens. That backdrop will also be the file select screen where you can create, open, copy/paste, and delete your saved games. TI-83+/84+ owners get a special treat, because this the only version where you can name and configure your own game. Or write protect them.

More details about the RW1->RW2 storyline, the fate of Edmund, and Edgar's skills will be revealed as you unlock your first areas within the Oceanside area.
Projects:

DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

This is slightly what the File Select menu will look like on the first run. You cycle through your 3 savegame slots and the help guide with up/down. And scroll through options with left/right. In this case, there was a saved game I named "Joe" on the system.
Projects:

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Looking very professional Digi :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Sweet, I am getting excited about this!!
cjgone

Post by cjgone »

Lol release this already, I wanna play it. ;)
ahudson

Post by ahudson »

That's how we all feel when someone is making a game as good as this one...but don't worry. The programme was said to be released round spring 2009. Coming to think of it, that's only a few months away!
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Yep. Luckily, I'm sorting the last of my mail and the apartment's pretty well broken-in, so I'll be putting in the long programming session this week. I'm also cutting level 5 out of the TI-82 version, which will keep that version's size reasonable and let me develop the 83+ level a lot faster. As you may have heard, the major codes had to be restructured. Now that that's behind us, things will really be picking up.
Projects:

DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Here's the completed list of File Select features...

Unlike other versions, the 83+ edition has a build-in option for deleting games (no more going back to the Mem menus). Also new:
Custom names - "Joe" in this case
Copy/Paste - Game duplicator
Lock - Avoids accidental overwrites from other players
Undo - Rolls back accidental deletes and pastes
Last edited by DigiTan on Thu 09 Apr, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Projects:

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Looks excellent, as usual. :D