[Featured][Dev]Robot War 2: Official Announcement

Here you can find side projects of the staff and great projects which we think should get extra support. (Note that featured projects are not projects by staff members of MaxCoderz)

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DigiTan
Calc Master

[Featured][Dev]Robot War 2: Official Announcement

Post by DigiTan »

Robot War 2: Official Announcement

OVERVIEW

In the first Robot War (released 2006), Edgar and his friends built a team of artificial telepathy-controlled robots to defeat his enemies. Now it is 4 years after the war. Much of the planet has recovered from the wicked Dr. Edmund's failed conspiracy to destroy civilization. And Edgar--now 22 years old--has left his hometown to rejoin family and friends in the a fast-paced city of Oceanside.

Image...........Image
Left - TI-83+/84+ titlescreen concept. Right - TI-82 titlescreen

STORY

Much has changed in 4 years. When Dr. Edmund's bases were destroyed, the artificial telepathy fuel "Chrysalene" leaked into the biosphere. As a result, almost 1 person in 800 has at least some mild psycho-kinetic (PK) ability. Due to Edgar's direct exposure, he's become an ability shifter--the versatile kind of PK (though not the strongest). Edgar arrives in Oceanside to learn his mentor, Dr. Noah has reinvented his research lab--the Atlas Institute-- into a sort of university hospital for the paranormal.

Noah reveals that Dr. Edmund was not alone in the Robot War. His military coup was backed by an advanced, forgotten civilization from the Frozen North. Although Edmund himself is presumed dead, it is believed this civilization is poised for a second invasion. All seemed be centered around Dr. Edmund's 5-year-old daughter Clara--who is omni-kinetic, and has the strongest abilities in the world.

Meanwhile, the military alliance: JET (Joint Earth Tribunals) is determined to prevent disaster. But no one knows if they also consider the Atlas Institute or Edgar and Clara themselves to be a threat. Or what measures they are willing to carry out.

Will history repeat itself? And can Edgar harness his skills before all hell breaks loose? Only time will tell.

HOW TO PLAY: Battles

All your enemies will start with 2, 3, 4 or 5 Hit Points (HP), which are shown as a tiny health bar to their right. Your attacks have a 1% to 99& chance of taking 1 of those points away. Whether your chance is good or bad depends on how powerful your character is compared to the enemy...
  • HP - Your Health Points are shown below Edgar's picture.
  • EP - Energy Points are like ammunition.
  • ATK - Attack ensures high hit likelihoods.
  • DEF - Defense counteracts your enemy's ATK.
  • SPE - Speed is how fast you can run.
Above - Edgar uses basic kicks and punches near the high-speed turnpike.

CHARACTER EVOLUTION: Choose your strength

There are at least five ways to boost and modify your character's qualities as you play...

1. Level up by gathering musical notes dropped by fallen enemies. Every level-up raises your stats (HP, EP, ATK, DEF, and SPE) by +1.

2. Buy equipment with the coins dropped by fallen enemies to raise your attributes by small quantities.

3. Eat food to level-up one of your stats faster than the others. It works a lot like real life...
  • Bread - x2 energy growth next level
  • Meat - x2 attack growth next level
  • Dairy - x2 defense growth next level
  • Fruit - x2 speed growth next level
4. Explore the game and unlock Edgar's unknown abilities. At the start, your only "move" is walking. Play on to learn "jump," "slash," and others. Eventually you can learn: fire, water, metal, wind, and earth.

5. Choose your favorite color at the start of a new game to determine Edgar's special attack.

Above - Edgar has unlocked "Hydrokinesis." Your enemies have abilities too!
Last edited by DigiTan on Fri 02 May, 2008 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

STAGES: Welcome to Pearl Island

The images below will be shown in the flash version when you enter each stage for the first time. As a plot twist, you can "sell" these pictures to a character in the game for money.

Image...Image...Image
OCEANSIDE - A fast-paced seaport with an abundance of ocean and highway-themed challenges. This is your starting point.

STADIUM CITY (flash version only) - A borough of Oceanside lined with arenas, gridiron, and ballparks as far as the eye can see.

GRAND GROVE - A vast forest crawling with giant plants and insects. This stage is larger than all of Robot War 1's levels combined!

Image...Image
CALDERA - A volcanic wasteland with timed puzzles. Precision, practice, and quick thinking are your keys to victory.

J.E.T. FORTRESS (New!) - A vast war factory and hypercomputer. Larger-than-life enemies and logic-themed puzzles dominate this fortress.

VIDEOS: Meet the Levels

* Oceanside on Youtube
* Grand Grove on Youtube
* Caldera on Youtube

EXPECTED RELEASE TIME and PLATFORMS

Will be released for TI-82, 83+, and 84+ between winter 2008 and spring 2009.
Last edited by DigiTan on Fri 02 May, 2008 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Projects:

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Surely to become one of the most awesome games to ever grace this community, im glad you've made a project thread here DigiTan :). Amazingly i am more excited for this than for Sonic!

Exceptional skill and effort have gone into this project, i eagerly await what is to come! :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Yep. I figured it would be cool to take an RPG and make it about as chaotic as as games like Dodger or Sonic.

Most of my first ideas came from bugs. Like when you bash enemies away from you. Originally that wasn't a feature and it was more like RW1 with free-roaming enemies. On one my first ever-runs, I hit an enemy and a physics bug made it to fly off screen in hilarious fashion. :lol:

So as far as the project goes, I think Maxcoderz will be the first to receive all the story announcements and upcoming character bios. 8) Spoiler-free of course.
Projects:

Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

thanks for making this forum not so dead!!!!

and thanks for making such an insane game!!
Image Image Image
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Looks like truly excellent work, DigiTan, with fantastic attention to detail. :) I look forwards to its release!
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Greatly appreciate you sticking to your true roots (82), and to possibly making the port to 83+ ;)..I am extremely excited to see this finish and what is to come of it!
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Wow, that's amazing. I love the pixel art, and the gameplay looks very smooth. Awesome!
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
ISUCK
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by ISUCK »

Wow. DO want :)
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

I almost forgot. This is one of a few RPGs to allow jumping and flight as part of your move set.

The aerial antics can lead to some Smash-Bros-style hilarity. Especially when enemies are thrown into walls or other enemies. Depending on your levels, you can knock enemies back just a few pixels, or halfway across the map. :lol: There's also some unique camera effects engines "ScreenFX" and "Dynamic Camera" that help add to the visuals.
Projects:

qarnos
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by qarnos »

That's seriously awesome!
"I don't know why a refrigerator is now involved, but put that aside for now". - Jim e on unitedti.org

avatar courtesy of driesguldolf.
GuillaumeH

Post by GuillaumeH »

There must be interesting collision detection routines in there...
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

*HOW* exactly are you managing to impress me more and more with these tidbits of info? I keep reading them and thinking 'it cant get any better than that' ... but it does! :D.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

Whoa... That looks amazingly flexible :P (gameplay wise)
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

omg that's a lot of inflight shadows!!
Image Image Image