[Staff][Dev] Fractals

Here you can find side projects of the staff and great projects which we think should get extra support. (Note that featured projects are not projects by staff members of MaxCoderz)

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

[Staff][Dev] Fractals

Post by DarkAuron »

I suppose Announce Your Projects is as close as this topic will get.. it's not technically a project really, just a little thing to toy with. Fractals are cool, and I just learned what they were last week. After researching a bit, I kinda figured out how to graph them.. so I made a simple little program to graph Mendalbrot's fractal in BASIC. Check out the screenies (first three on the left are stretched for the whole screen, second three are proportional).

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

First at the top is drawn from 6 iteration checks, second is from 8 iterations, and third is 15 iterations. I can't go past 15 because of TI-OS limits (unless I stored values myself and calculated them). Don't expect an ASM version, I don't plan on doing that. I just learned what fractals were, and I got bored tonight so I made this. Have fun :) Oh, and the last pic is a zoomed in render (I'll get to work on the engine later so you can put in custom values and such). I'm not giving animated screenshots because it takes about 3-5 minutes to render a 15 iteration check picture in VTI without speed restriction :shock: But hey, it works.
Last edited by DarkAuron on Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow, you really did end up getting it to look cool!

Nice work DarkAuron :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

I see a pink bunny in a blue field of snowflakes :D
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

'Boku' can't save the world - Blaze Rennaul
--'Boku' doesn't have to... - Klyne Ryuuno
Blue World - Coming soon
CalcKing

Post by CalcKing »

Hmmm... after seeing these screen shots I decided to search ticalc for a fractal program that I had seen before. As it turns out, there are more than I had expected, but of the ones I saw, this looked like the best one for the 83+ in the archives.

Looks like someone beat you DarkAuron, but don't get discouraged about your programming! :)

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well there have been fractal generators on calc for years. But that is certainly no reason to stop making them :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Well, like I said, it wasn't a project or anything, just a little stab at creativity. I didn't wanna sleep, I wanted to graph fractals >:)
koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Post by koolmansam375 »

tr1p1ea wrote:Well there have been fractal generators on calc for years. But that is certainly no reason to stop making them :).
Its like that little random number thing. You know the Input "",A A+rand, Disp A thing? Everyone makes those even though you can prolly get it on the internet

Pongwars shall live!

blog is down atm. :-(
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

tr1p1ea wrote:Well there have been fractal generators on calc for years. But that is certainly no reason to stop making them :).
Definitely! Fractals are cool, making them yourself is even cooler. 8)
Looks like someone beat you DarkAuron, but don't get discouraged about your programming!
Yeah, but it's not a race. Besides, I'm gonna do something I don't think that program has: shading! So my fractals might be lookin' pretty soon, who knows :P

My creation can give thanks to the people in #tcpa; if it weren't for them, I wouldn't know about fractals for some time.. Oh and (1)these (2)crazy (3)links!
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Sorry for double posting, but I gotta say that yesterday my calc decided to slow to a halt and bring up the blue screen of destruction (SE does a full blue screen, as opposed to blue lines in the regular ti-83+) while I was messing with my program, which leads me to believe that the TI-OS has a memory leak after doing a few hundred thousand BASIC calculations non-stop. O.o I've been a bit scared off from working on fractals since then..
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Actually it is possible to get "a full blue screen" on a regular 83+.
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 24235.html
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

not sure if this is related or not, but does anyone else have little spots on their LCD screen on the inside? like ink or something exploded? i'm thinking that some of the screen got damaged on the inside thanks to my little brother
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

Blue World - Coming soon
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Test Mode can cause such damage to the LCD.
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

za?
Test mode?

Blue World - Coming soon
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Quoted from Learn TI-83 Plus Assembly in 28 Days, Day 25:
Test Mode
This is a pretty useless feature, but you can really scare some people with it! By sending an instruction in the range $1C to $1F, you put the LCD driver into something called test mode, affectionately known as The Blue Lines of Death. In a nutshell, during test mode the liquid crystals are receiving an abnormal amount of energy. So much in fact that you get blue horizontal lines across the screen. Even weirder, the lines overflow out of each pixel cell (there are normally thin areas of blank space separating each pixel). By sending multiple test mode commands you can make more blue lines appear, potentially you can make the entire display blue.
To cancel test mode, send command $18. This will also set the contrast to its darkest.

Now that you know about test mode, please, don't use it. There is no way to make the BLODs appear on a specific row, nor can they be constrained. If you had any hopes of making some kind of waterfall animation, you can just as well forget about it.
As well, test mode is dangerous! If you leave the calculator in test mode for more than a minute, you risk damaging the LCD. Even a few seconds of BLODs may leave an imprint on the screen (not unlike phosphor burn-in when you forget your screen saver).
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Thats wierd, that's exactly what he did.
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 25987.html