[Staff][Demo] Metroid Infinity

Here you can find side projects of the staff and great projects which we think should get extra support. (Note that featured projects are not projects by staff members of MaxCoderz)

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

[Staff][Demo] Metroid Infinity

Post by CDI »

A millenia ago and lightyears away, a sun erupts, sending dense waves of cosmic radiation through the universe, this sun was a rather large one, and the waves strech far and wide. Creating life on distant worlds, even jumpstarting a little star far off with a few dead rocks orbiting it, causing it to glow bright yellow, and the ice to melt on one of these rocks. Time passes and life evolves in the universe, eventually taking ot the stars...

As you defeat Mother Brain on comet S5G8 you see a quick chance for an escape, risky, but possible. You make it back to your ship with miliseconds to spare, lifting off just as the comet begins to break apart, just then something odd happens... a dense wave of radation from millenia passed hits the comet causing it to spiral out of it's normal path, your ship goes crashing to the surface. You are knocked unconsious as the thunderstorms begin, the landscape shaked and reforms itself.

You awaken to find your ship molded into the ground, the hatch stuck closed, looking about, you realize what has happened... to an extent, you know this is the same comet at least, then as you wander about you see something out of the corner of your visor, looking to what it was, and finding nothing there. As you continue to explore you keep seeing these... things, finally catching a glimpse of one...

--==--

This is Metroid Infinity, the 3rd [ and hopefully not the last ] Metroid in me and Kévin's series, starting right after Metroid II : Evolution, the events that happen here will feel slightly... familiar, if you have ever played Metroid II, as a large portion of the map is reused, just not all in the same order one might like. The sprites are a little different for some things, and the boses are new to an extent. It'll still be using xLIB, and hopefully be able to fit on the 83+ and run correctly. Sadly enough, it won't have every cool effet Kevin did, but then again, it does have a lot of other things.

So far, the item list is--

Gun
Wave Beam
Morph Ball
Varia Suit
Energy Packs
Super Jump

The areas to explore are--

Staria
Kraid's Nest
Abandoned Ship
Infernia
Ruins

So, yeah. I have the first part of the map done for the most part, the sprites done, a good portion of the movement engine done, and I am going to finish this, so... FUN! When I have decent things to show you all, I will
Last edited by CDI on Sun 18 Feb, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Sounds amazing, I hope to see this progress further! I like the story so far though I haven't been into metroid XD.
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

I hope that 'thing' isn't an X parasite!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Cool backstory, ive been hearing your comment on graphics progress on IRC ... hopefully we can get a screenie soon :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

Okay, here are some pics, for those that asked...

Original Metroid title screen for Metroid BASIC 83+

Edited title screen for Metroid Infinity

And some all important sprites

Discuss
ImageImage
Delnar_Ersike
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Delnar_Ersike »

:o Nice screenies! Now all we need is a greyscale title screen by Spellshaper *looks at Omnimaga* and we can be thoroughly satisfied!

Some improvements from the previous versions that should be implemented:
-Less programs
-Rocket launcher :P
-Faster! Even on my silver, the previous versions were sooo slow!
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Delnar_Ersike wrote::o Nice screenies! Now all we need is a greyscale title screen by Spellshaper *looks at Omnimaga* and we can be thoroughly satisfied!

Some improvements from the previous versions that should be implemented:
-Less programs
-Rocket launcher :P
-Faster! Even on my silver, the previous versions were sooo slow!
No point really, it looks great as it is.

I am liking the new Samus sprite, looks more like the original.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I agree, the Samus sprite is looking nifty and the titlescreen is tops! :). It reminds me of some joke i saw a while ago about infinity ... but thats for another day :).

I didnt think the previous versions of Metroid ran too bad, especially for a BASIC platform game.

Im glad i got to see the sprite sheet i was hearing about on IRC too, im impressed :).
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

GS title screen? Like the one he made for me over a year ago that I can't find anymore? If you get ahold of Spellshaper or that pic, it would be great.

ImageImage

Less programs? Well, Metroid Pure was all of 14 programs, and that was small :) it's not going to be all to many, but it might be more than you'd think. All of it actually will increase speed hopefully, if it slows it down, then there'll be less programs, simple.

Rocket Launcher...? Now where does that fit into the game? :) I already have a normal gun, and a wave gun, and I might include missiles, simply because I like them. If I do however, then the Super Jump is gonna be axed.

Faster? Well, speed is hard to get depending on what you are doing. I have always tried to use the smallest and fastest methods of getting the job done, and I'll continue with it, but I cant promise it'll be any faster than Metroid Pure... Metroid 1 was just, sad... and Metroid II had a lot going on, so, yeah ;)
ImageImage
Super Speler

Post by Super Speler »

CDI working on another metroid game? AWSOME! I can't wait to see how it goes.
Cure

Post by Cure »

I agree. It's great to see you working on another project.
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

Heh, Map Demo time, this is just a map demo, and I know some tiles are off, and you can go off the map, I messed some numbers up or something, I dunno

HEREYAGO

report any odd bugs with it to me, not that it matters, and yes, this took me all of Saturday to do

Also, [2nd] will turn rain on or off
ImageImage
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Titlescreen is awesome, im impressed! :).

Map seems to be working ok, but like you said its a little off in some spots, still its a good start :).
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

UPDATES!

Game

and

screenie
ImageImage
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Nice haxxed jump. Map looks pretty big too.