[Staff][Beta] p3d

Here you can find side projects of the staff and great projects which we think should get extra support. (Note that featured projects are not projects by staff members of MaxCoderz)

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

mhmm Indeed it did, now I have to redo the entire If:Then tree and remake some tiles to make the perspective better.

I think I will be using Timendus' tiles, but modded a bit to fit my needs. He'll be credited.

When I redo the tree I'll make it do it does (#-10)+Ans10 instead of #+15(Ans=2) (for example... 8+15(Ans=2) will becme -2+Ans10) which will indeed save space, and make adding a 3rd tiletype easier. In theory I can have 25 tile sets. But the archive isn't THAT big. So I'll probably keep it somewheres around 2-5

I was thinking I indeed could do a TBS game here... but the AI would be HARD to do, idk, anyone here good at AI?
ImageImage
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

TBS?
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

Turn Based Stragety... It may be possible you know ^^
ImageImage
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

turn based strategy? I wouldn't have thought of it for this engine. I would think that that would work better with a top down 2d engine. This is more of a first person view, as far as I can see. Is there some TBS game that you are thinking of that uses a view like this? :?
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

You could do it tbs, but it would be so different! It would be cool, maybe make it like D & D?
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

I was thinking that this kind of TBS game would have a diffrent stragety than most. It'd be like a new kind of "fog of war" and you could switch between 3 or 4 "units" and move them around (sort of like what you do in Shining Force) and then the CPU moves, when you run across the CPU you attack!

Now alls I need to do is remake the tiles for the walls, remake the tiles for the doors, and do some other tiles... idk... maybe I can do something simplier
ImageImage
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

<updated>

Okay, here's some of the things I am working on with p3d;

-I am redoing the tile "templates" to make it more appealing to the eye.
-p3d now fully supports as many pics as the archive/ram can hold, being. You can have many tiles, as each tile is 10 pics
-The engine is slowly becoming faster and faster, as I am trying everything I know to remove that hugs "If:Then:Else" tree I have.
-A HUD is in the workings, if anyone wants to give me a hand, I am open to ideas. The HUD is the black part on either side of the screen, or, if I wanted, I don't need a HUD and can go full screen?

Thas all I have worked on in the past 2 weeks -.- ACK progressless
ImageImage
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

I say no hud and full screen. You should make it so when you press a certain key, a infoscreen pops up with the info.

Can't wait to see a new animated screenshot with those new templats you are talking off :)

Any idea what kind of game you'll use this engine for... if any?
dragon__lance

Post by dragon__lance »

CDI wrote:Turn Based Stragety... It may be possible you know ^^
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

you know, kv83, you could start reading back a few posts, so as not to ask questions that have been just answered. :roll:
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Uhm, he didn't say it will be a TBS, just was thinking about making it a TBS.... Please read the topic before throwing with such statements :)
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

It may not be a TBS, I don't know ;) though a TBS would be intresting, or maybe the first TBFPS?

The templates are giving me a LOT of problems, this perspective is hard... If anyone can help me that'd be great!
ImageImage
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

How about a good old-school rpg?
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

CompWiz wrote:turn based strategy? I wouldn't have thought of it for this engine. I would think that that would work better with a top down 2d engine. This is more of a first person view, as far as I can see. Is there some TBS game that you are thinking of that uses a view like this? :?
Advance Wars: Dual Strike maybe. A tile or unit in the the back of the screen was actually be smaller than if it was in the front.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

An old school RPG would be best. Actually, I was messing around on my sisters phone, and rememberd about DOOM RPG. Which would be perfect for this, because it's slow and turn based, and would work. I'm adding in switches now. 2 kinds (if I have the pic space for 40 pics >.>, may have to stick with 1 switch) But if I can go with 2 kinds, the first will be an objective switch that will do a ceretan action (like open a door, or activate another switch maybe?) or maybe I will make it so you have to flip all the switches in a level, to open a main door... yeah, I like that idea ;)

As for the levels, they are still matrixes, and thay now have a defined starting point, and the ending point is wherever you can open a door on the edge of the map.

(another thought just hit me, what if they where something more than just switches, but what if they could be, like, consoles that could do diffent things, they all look the same, but when you activate then you can do inventory management and sorts)

Once you beat a map, it loads the next one...

Okay, over the course of writing this, I have decided that I am going to put T14 on hold, and use the p3d engine (which I will be recoding to be a tiny bit faster, and easily moddable for others) to make a Marathon RPG game ;) because if you didn't know (if you hang out on #tcpa you prolly know) I love that game, and making a Marathon RPG, or something like an RPG... it would kinda be diffrent though, but fun... idk how I would do all the sprites though, I would have to tone down some of the heavy pic useage... atm it's down to 10 per tile... I could easily knock it down to 9, or 8... and that would speed it up too.

Any ideas? (also, it may look boring with 1 tile for walls, 1 tile for doors, 1 tile for consoled, but it's BASIC shaddap ^.^ )
ImageImage