[Featured][Dev] Battlestar Galactica

Here you can find side projects of the staff and great projects which we think should get extra support. (Note that featured projects are not projects by staff members of MaxCoderz)

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

dysfunction
Calc Master

[Featured][Dev] Battlestar Galactica

Post by dysfunction »

It will follow the show's main story, but focusing more on Kat and the other "nuggets" (rookie Viper pilots). I'm just adding an extra nugget who you will play as.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Dysfunction, from the moment you told me about this project, the more I was unsure. But again you wow me with your awesomeness...keep it up and as always, you never cease to wow me! :wink:
The Revolution is here...
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Oh of course (what was i thinking) PindurTI :). Well i am very impressed with the speed at which it runs, great work! :).

Sad to see Ender's game go, but at least some of it can live on. Would you mind telling us how long you have been working on BSG?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

This game looks pretty cool. Assembly, I'm assuming?
cheese=yum
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

katmaster wrote:This game looks pretty cool. Assembly, I'm assuming?
Basic with xlib.
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

kalan_vod wrote:Basic with xlib.
Really?! Where's the run indicator?
cheese=yum
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I don't know where the run indicator is, but look at the way he executes the program.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

katmaster wrote:
kalan_vod wrote:Basic with xlib.
Really?! Where's the run indicator?
With xlib you do:

Code: Select all

real(7,0
and it takes off the runind.[/code]
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I don;t think tr1p has released the version of xlib that contains that function to the general public yet, but you guys can see a preview of some of the functions in the xlib version that is currently in beta in that screenshot.
tr1p1ea wrote:Sad to see Ender's game go, but at least some of it can live on. Would you mind telling us how long you have been working on BSG?
About two weeks now, I decided to scrap EG about two months ago and was casting around for a new theme until recently. To keep it true to the book (the Little Doctor weapon, zero-g, etc) would be far too unwieldy in gameplay; I didn't want a game with such a steep learning curve.

On a side note, here's something that demonstrates the xLib lines function, a flight sim engine I made in about a half hour:

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Yeah that looks pretty nice there :) , and Pats line function is so good.
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I'm working on the tutorial campaign now, I should put up a new screenshot soon. However I am pretty occupied with other things, mainly the new amp I just got for my guitar.

CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

dysfunction wrote:I'm working on the tutorial campaign now, I should put up a new screenshot soon. However I am pretty occupied with other things, mainly the new amp I just got for my guitar.
you don't mean, guitar is more important than calculator programming, do you? :shock: (banish the thought)
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I made up some very large (40x32) sprites for battle animations like in Advance Wars, I'm actually quite proud of them. From top to bottom: Cylon Raider, Colonial Viper, Colonial Raider.

For those who are not familiar with the show, some info on the various ships:

Raiders are the Cylons' primary space superiority fighters. They come in several varieties. They all carry twin auto cannons mounted under the wing and most have missiles of some form; one variety carries nuclear missiles for taking out enemy capital ships. They are equal in speed and maneuverability of a viper. The Raider's chief advatange, however, is the great mass in which the Cylons are able to produce them; also it is suspected that Raiders are piloted by remote, a great advantage over the manpower-strapped Colonial Fleet. However, in my game, the Raiders will carry neither missiles nor have jump capabilities (except in a few missions).
Vipers are the Colonials' primary space superiority fighter. Most of Galactica's Vipers are of the sopmewhat outdated Mark II variety. The Galactica had just been decommissioned when the Cylons wiped out the Twelve Colonies, and was to become a flying museum. Therefore, most of her newer Mark VII and VIII Vipers had been re-assigned to battlestars on active duty. Most of the Mark IVs and remaining Mark VII Vipers were destroyed by the Cylon virus, as they used newer computer linkages which the Mark II did not have. The Viper has no jump capability and a limited missile package; however it is very fast and maneuverable. Unfortunately, the Mark II variant, lacking more sphisticated computers, is very difficult to fly; and only the most experienced pilots can easily handle them.
Raptors are the workhorse of the Colonial fleet. They are not very manueverable, but can carry a wide variety of weapons, have excellent jump capabilities, and can be fitted with a range of mission packages for intelligence, transport, and many other types of missions. In the game they will be the only fighter with missile or jump capabilities, however they can not move many spaces per turn.

katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

Sounds coolz. Keep up the good work!!!
cheese=yum
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

New episode of BSG tonight, aaaannnnddd... New Screenshot!

As you can see, attacks are now fully coded. The objectives system isnt quite done yet, but is getting close. I've actually gotten more of the tutorial campaign finished than is shown in this screenie, but I didn't want to ruin much so I only showed part of the first tutorial scenario.