Work in progress Samus

A place for graphics

Moderator: DarkAuron

wild8900

Work in progress Samus

Post by wild8900 »

Heres a WIP samus sprite that Im going to use for a game when I figure out xLib :x
What do you think? If you want to use it, please ask. :roll:
If you are wondering why they are all 8x16, I just wanted to try something new, Ive never seen a tall samus in BASIC games.
Next I will do some enemies and tiles.
Delnar_Ersike
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Delnar_Ersike »

If you learn ASM, there is a GBA-clone library on ticalc.org that can help you significantly :wink:
wild8900

Post by wild8900 »

Thanks but Im a bit sceptible about using ASM. I heard it could kill your calc. Ill stick with basic for now ;P

Btw, what do you mean by GBA-Clone Library?
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

ASM kills a calc? HAHAHAHAHAHA... That's a good one. In normal circumstances, the worst ASM can do is clear the RAM, leaving the archive alone. In order to do worse, the program has to be specifically designed to do such.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
wild8900

Post by wild8900 »

:O You dont have to laugh at me, its not like Ive ever used it, Ive just heard about it. I think Ill try ASM after I am through learning BASIC ;P
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

Dwedit wrote:ASM kills a calc? HAHAHAHAHAHA... That's a good one. In normal circumstances, the worst ASM can do is clear the RAM, leaving the archive alone. In order to do worse, the program has to be specifically designed to do such.
There's this program around that completely kills the archive ^^
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

wild8900 wrote: Btw, what do you mean by GBA-Clone Library?
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 39478.html

It's an engine for ASM users designed for making sidescrollers easier to make.
Image Image Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

wild8900 wrote::O You dont have to laugh at me, its not like Ive ever used it, Ive just heard about it. I think Ill try ASM after I am through learning BASIC ;P
It is just that almost everyone who starts coding in basic is afraid like you, take it from him he is very knowledgeable about asm. Those sprites look real nice btw.
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

kalan_vod wrote:
wild8900 wrote::O You dont have to laugh at me, its not like Ive ever used it, Ive just heard about it. I think Ill try ASM after I am through learning BASIC ;P
It is just that almost everyone who starts coding in basic is afraid like you, take it from him he is very knowledgeable about asm. Those sprites look real nice btw.
I ain't afraid, just utterly confused :S.
Main Projects:
Zombie Attack: 20%

Side Projects:
???-25%

Staff member of Hikaru Rakuen Programming.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

xLib is written in ASM, so in that theory it could be possible to kill your calc already :)

Your sprites look good btw,
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

I've had all sorts of problems with asm. My calc has crashed, I have weird "ghost-like" errors from messing with the wrong memory, I've had my archive become corrupt (trying to write to flash mem and (for some odd reason) succeeding o.O) and the typical literal blue screen of death. (Where the black pixels go into testing mode, and bleed out blue until you take out the batteries.)

So yes, asm can, in the worst situations, have problams. (Although I've never really had any crash more serious than having to take the batteries out...)

You know what I've really learned though? When you sit down and mess with it and understand how to mod a greyscale routine so it will run in an APP, understand how to make sprites dance at the beck and call of their button pressing overlord (stealing a sig here, I know) you realize that the rewarding program made through all the fuss is really better than any safe BASIC program can ever live up to. If optimized BASIC code is fast, think of how much faster it can be in pure asm?

Yes, improperly used it can cause a lot of damage. However, properly used, you have so much power in the little device you wouldn't have thought would have so much power that it becomes the only way to go. Honestly, I only use BASIC now to test out my ideas before writing the asm routines.

-thegamefreak

PS: I'm through ranting now, please go about discussion as usual and don't mind me. ^_^
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
cartj

Post by cartj »

That GBA library looks awesome but all the documentation is in French which I don't speak a word of. (I speak fluent in English and moderate Spanish)
Delnar_Ersike
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Delnar_Ersike »

cartj wrote:That GBA library looks awesome but all the documentation is in French which I don't speak a word of. (I speak fluent in English and moderate Spanish)
Hehe, I know. That's why necro made a rough translation of it here:
http://omnimaga.org/index.php?showtopic=979
cartj

Post by cartj »

Thanks necro and Delnar_Ersike. necro, did you get the results from the translator yet?
Cure

Post by Cure »

wild8900 wrote:Thanks but Im a bit sceptible about using ASM. I heard it could kill your calc.
That's what emulators are for. :D
And besides, the worst you can do by yourself with no malicious intent, can be fixed (at the most extreme) by re-installing the OS.

Anyway, nice sprites, and the screenshots of this game look good too. I actually prefer these sprites to xlibman's Metroid 2.