8x8 Sprite Requests: Rainbow Six Characters

A place for graphics

Moderator: DarkAuron

Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

8x8 Sprite Requests: Rainbow Six Characters

Post by Floodkiller »

I have no artistic talent, so that is why I am hoping someone here is willing to make some sprites that look different than the crappy stick figures that I can do. Obviously, I will credit you for the graphics in my game and readme if you do them and I use them (just post what name you wish to be listed as).
Main Projects:
Zombie Attack: 20%

Side Projects:
???-25%

Staff member of Hikaru Rakuen Programming.
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

8x8 pixels? you mean only the face, right? or were you actually wanting a really low detail dude. did you want a gun? can it be Grayscale?

I might be able to help (and if I can't TheCheat, my brother, is really good at Black and White Pixelating [is that even a word?]. I could notify him, if he's willing you'd be in luck, as he's really good. I on the other hand, am OK, but am much better at color.), that can still be worked out.

... and you never mentioned the aprox. slides you wanted it to be, nor the actions (walking, running, crawling, picking their nose, ect.)
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

Homestar wrote:8x8 pixels? you mean only the face, right? or were you actually wanting a really low detail dude. did you want a gun? can it be Grayscale?

I might be able to help (and if I can't TheCheat, my brother, is really good at Black and White Pixelating [is that even a word?]. I could notify him, if he's willing you'd be in luck, as he's really good. I on the other hand, am OK, but am much better at color.), that can still be worked out.

... and you never mentioned the aprox. slides you wanted it to be, nor the actions (walking, running, crawling, picking their nose, ect.)
Sorry for not detailing it much. Well, in the form of 8x8, I know that it can only be very low detail, so probably either a low detail dude or certain types of weaponry varying on the squads strongsuits (demolition pack, assault rifle, etc. whatever weapons you could create). Since I am making this in xLib, I would prefer a black and white creation, but I will suffer through learning how to display greyscale sprites if you can do those better.

Also, with slides, I really just need one of them standing still and one with a little firing if you are doing a low detail guy.

However, if 8x8 turns out to be not so good, I will try to convert the program to a 16x16 grid read with 8x8 collision detection and slower movements so that it could use 16x16 sprites.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

kk, gottcha, I'll see what I can do, I can tell you right now that I'll have much more sucess with the 16x16 though. I'll see if I can get back to you in aout 1hour with some samples.

One thing though, could you get me a few screenies from Rainbow 6 you really would like to imitate. aka, weapons, characters, buildings, ... as I'm sure something inspired you to give a go at making this game :D ... be back in an hour...

Edit: here's all I have to show so far, some screenies would really help... In addition to my brother :wink:

here's a two cycle...

and here's 2 versions of the 3cycle, couldn't figure out how to make them smooth... need more pixels I think... I might try for something bigger later, however, finals are next week :x . and guess which is more important. :D

Image Image

here he is walking backwards... (abcbabcb...)Image

and another variotion of backwards... (abcabc...)

although a little jerkier, has a better treadmill effect.

... and their not true 8x8,but 8x10.
Last edited by Homestar on Mon 04 Dec, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

Well, from school I can't access hosting sites or game-related sites, so instead I can just post you links to images...

The Squad
Interface and some action
A quiet scene

Also, if the 8x8's don't work out, feel free to do the 16x16's. My code isn't too far ahead yet in which it will mess up the whole game, and I would much rather see better graphics than a more compact map (I did a stickfigure in a 16x16 that really looks real compared to the one I did in 8x8 with the arms sticking out barely and it not even looking like it is something worthwhile).

Edit: Didn't see those before I got kicked out of the LMC. Those are pretty nice :D. I'll see if I can encorporate them in to my little demo so far of 8x8 and check out how it moves with the A* pathfinding formula I just worked out for it. I will also make a 16x16 demo using some of my non-moving stick sprites, then just post the screenshots up on the main thread and start a vote to see who likes what view better for it.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Homestar wrote: I might be able to help (and if I can't TheCheat, my brother, is really good at Black and White Pixelating [is that even a word?].
He's your brother? I've been wondering how he's doing. His pixel art is always really impressive.
Image Image Image
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

Yep, sure is, doing good too, he should get on in a minute, however he's rather preoccupied with a puse jets, a ramjet, his new weilder, and a 35mw lazer. :yes:

And @ flood: What's pretty funny is I'm really good at color sprites, and my brother is really good with grayscale, however neither of us are really good in the other's feild.

a.k.a. some of my work, (all of these were made using MS Paint)

(here was my previous Icon before the size and byte limits) :(

here's one I used for a nightvision forum I used to go to.

Here's a slideshow for my dad to use in his signature on a chainsaw forum

Here's one I made for one of my friends during an old debate we had 6 months+ ago in this forum (quite a debate I'll admit)

And then the smileys in my signature were also my doing Image Image Image

Other than that I gave my go at a POW! smiley, and a talking computer, these were my only two really sucessful grayscale works.

Image_______Image

and then a still godzilla smiley Image

My brother on the other hand did some really complexly compressed B&W as well as grayscale, here are some of his...
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

Hey!

I'm fine... not usually on here as I've just got lots of school... and I'm building jet engines... I'm pretty sure I'm the only kid who asks for sheet metal for christmas. :roll: yeah, I just bought a welder so I'm having a blast... Actually, (back on programming) I'm programming these "Pickits" (made by microchip) it's VERY similar to TASM except you've got like three registers... and it's big indian programing.

Here are some samples of some of my work, I made it, and as far as I know, the games never made it, so if anyone wants 'em they can have them.

OK first off, Ice blast, was for some final fantasy game, but I think it was an overhead shot, not a sidescroller...

Some misc. SSMB sprites

a random monster... (energy absorb equipped!)

A rebel assault "invisioned" demo... (runs a really fast online for some reason though)

and last, but not least, my avatar (all 100+ slides of it...)

useful sprites for you:

here's one I made for a duke nukem game, one that died in the inital programming... (correct me if otherwise)

PS: I'll try to get something in 8x8...
PPS: Oh and if you want to see me playing with my ramjet...
http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/ ... amjet1.flv
http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/ ... ghtrun.flv
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

The duke nukem one looks really good :D. I put it in my demo right now for the 8x8. As soon as I get the A* program to work, I will put up a screeny of the 8x8.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow, you are going to do pathfinding in BASIC? That would be a pretty awesome achievement!

Guys, your sprite-work is really neat ... reminds me of tiny dude. Maybe you could guive him a gun :twisted:.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

Ok, ive got both a version of homestar's guy (barrel is just decrease one bit for size issues, as well as the extra row that was used for the three cycles, and it is just a still right now, I am working on the engine, not the animation part right now) as a terrorist, as well as thecheat's duke nukem one for ding chavez right now. The pathfinding routine is working out well so far. It calculates how far the distance marked is, adds three for each obstacle in the way for each path, and subtracts and adds accordingly. However, it still has some bugs, and it is tearing my hair out :P.

Edit: Such as picking a route that leads right into a wall, and it not knowing how to move out of the way :evil: . Anyways, it pretty much takes into effect the fact that asquared*bsquared=csquared AKA the length of moving left and down is the same as moving at a diagonal down to the left. Right now I am just trying to iron out the bugs that cause it to get stuck in a corner due to trying to take a route through an obstacle because the other route has an obstacle messing it up. I am going to try a flip flop of letting it decide between two different routes, picking the one with better options, and then it might pick a different one after moving along a certain route long enough.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

Hey Floodkiller...

I guess christmas comes early this year :P

I decided to make you a few different weapon types.
(I enlarged them aswell so you can visually see them on this forum)

In order from top to bottom:
sniper
pistol
pistol (modified)
bazooka
shotgun
grenade
tommy/machine gun
and a flamethrower.

...and here's a poor attempt to make flames for the little dude

:D Cheers!
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

Those look awesome :D. I'll try to incorporate them in asap.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

Ok, I decided to spend some more time on the variations of the little guy...

now I've animated his weapons and given him a new action, crawl...

Crawl

although this looks wrong, when he's moving (as in the demo clip) it actually turns out quite well. Also works well for a dying man.
ImageHere's the trans slide from walking to crawling and back again.

Flamethrower
after fixing him up a little bit, I smoothed out the animation.

Pistol

you've got to admit this looks cool.

Rocket Launcher

adds some effect to the inadtimate log on his sholder.

Shotgun
looks really good how he cycles/cocks the weapon each time he shoot it.
Edit: added a second shotgun with a kick

Tommy/automatic rifle

notice the shells falling from the gun :) .

and finally, the demo showing what it would actually look like in game play.

Rainbow 6: Red Dawn
Last edited by Homestar on Sat 09 Dec, 2006 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Wow, simply amazing..the last animation mockup was great!