Request:Boxer headshots for my boxing game

A place for graphics

Moderator: DarkAuron

ninja_master

Request:Boxer headshots for my boxing game

Post by ninja_master »

I'm making a boxing game and need four headshots of the boxers. The dimensions are 24x21, so you have a pretty big canvas. Also the pictures need to be in 3 scale greyscale. Here are the different boxers.

Pete - Small, quick guy, small set and not very strong.

Ironman - Big, can take any shot coming but slow and bulky.

Mike - Bigger than Pete and can knock anyone out in one hit but can't take hits. So not giant like Ironman.

Tyrone - Medium set, kinda in the middle for everything.

If you can help me I would be more than happy. If you can think of anything else to include go crazy be creative. I will also include you in the credits. Oh, and also you can pick which one to make or you can just make all of them. It's okay with me. :D
Wright Studios.org the place for calculator graphics.
nepmarauder

Post by nepmarauder »

Well, I am a pretty good pixel artist, but I don't think this project will require anyones work.

Here is what I suggest. Change the characters to four real boxers. I think a line-up of Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, Mike Tyson, and Evander Holyfield would be best. Maybe with a special character, Rocky.

For the head shots, go to Google or find a website with head shots of boxers. Find the correct headshots and save the to your computer. If you have Photoshop, resize each image to 24x21. Delete the background if the pictures have backgrounds. Resave the pictures.

If you are using TI BASIC, put the headshots in the proper place in a 64x94 Paint document. Save it and send it to your calc with TI Graphlink.

If you are using TI ASM, you have two options. First, you can create a 64x94 Paint document and convert the whole screen image with iStudio. If you want a 24x21 sprite, just use the Photoshopped headshots and convert them with iStudio.

I'll post an example soon.
IT'S GREAT TO BE A MICHIGAN WOLVERINE!
nepmarauder

Post by nepmarauder »

Here is my first attempts. I used the TI ASM method above. I didn't spend too much time on them. If you would like better photos or something different let me know. Or, you can always try my methods yourself to find what looks best.

ninja_master

Post by ninja_master »

Those are good but remember it is in 3 color greyscale. Other than that I like that idea. Also those are just the characters that you can play as. I will also have 10 or so other caracters. So if you would be willing to design them I would be happy. I can take care of those 4. That was a good idea. If you are still willing to make some pm me. Thanks.
nepmarauder

Post by nepmarauder »

Oops. :) I didn't read about the 3 level grayscale. Well, that is good news. :) Those pictures will look a lot better with an extra color! What other character where you thinking of? Actual boxers? Or made up. I would recommend real boxers. I myself am a fan of realistic sports games, rather than arcade. I would support a Fight Night approach rather than a Mortal combat type game.

Before I make another set, let me ask you three questions...
1. What calculator are you making this for.
If you are making it for the 83+, I could help with some of the z80
programming. I've been thinking about a nice 83+ fighting game for a while.

2. What language will this be programmed in?
I'm not completely fluent in z80, but I am fluent in the TI Power language.

3. Three level grayscale of four?
Four would be easier since iStudio uses 4 or 8 level. Three would have to be made by hand, unless you could find another graphics program or if you know a way with Photoshop.
ninja_master

Post by ninja_master »

I would be glad to let you jump on the bandwagon. The more the merrier. This will be for the 83 + series. This is going to be in BASIC with help with xLib, but if you know Z80 that would be a lot of help if I need something done. Maybe the fighting engine could be in Z80 and the acual game in BASIC. Kinda like a hybrid program. In Photoshop which I have a trial of for 13 more days, I can make 3 color greyscale easily. We'll figure something out. I'll get a couple screens in a few days. Just need to finish a couple more things.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

You know, there have been a few fighting games released for the 83 series calcs. There was a boxing game that looked very good, but apparently wasn't quite finished. It was playable. Also, there was a street-fighter type game that was released with a bunch of external character files. It worked very well. Maybe if you could get the engine from one of those, or finish the boxing game, it would accelerate the progress of this. Also, a fully asm game would be much better than a Basic one with some asm code.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
ninja_master

Post by ninja_master »

Yeah but the thing with that is that I don't know Z80. So BASIC is the only one that I can make. I was planning on using boxers that are made up but look realistic. So I can just fit a name to a face.

Oh, Here are some screens of what I have so far. It isn't much. Hey if you get an image done in greyscale give it to me and i'll convert it over so it can go onto the calc. With Photoshop you can do it in five minutes.

Image Image
nepmarauder

Post by nepmarauder »

That screen looks great. BASIC, huh. ;) Well I am very good with BASIC. Used to program all the time in math class (teacher boring, homework easy, good grades, might as well just program).

Also, I have been thinking of a good boxing game for a while. I would be glad to work on this project with you. It just depends on the time I have. School ends soon, but then the long football season starts. I don't know. I'll see what I can help you with.

As far as in school BASIC programming, my problem is that I have an 89 Titanium now. My sister has my 83+. What I can try is program in 89, open it up with Graphlink and port to 83+.

Finally, xLIB. I have only used the library once. So I'm sure I can learn some new things. When you started talking greyscale, I figured 68k calc game or z80 with Duck's library. I didn't even know that xLIB supported greyscale. That is sweet.

Well I do some more work tonight. See ya.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Probably the easiest (and best) way to create x-coloured images is to use Photoshop's File->Save For Web dialog. Select GIF, then type the number of colours into the colour box. You can then preset the output colours by clicking on them in the colour palette, rather than let it pick the best ones (as well as playing with dither settings).
Last edited by benryves on Thu 11 May, 2006 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well, xLIB doesnt support grayscale natively ... but using some of its functions you can achieve it.

Talk to Kevin or CDI about it, they are the masters!
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Yes, xLib achieves quite good greyscale, albeit with some complicated coding... also, the results look far better on an SE.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Or you could use rigview if you want :P..
ninja_master

Post by ninja_master »

kalan_vod wrote:Or you could use rigview if you want :P..
Rigveiw wouldn't work for this because there are menus going at the same time. Also it is only in the corner of the screen so it wouldn't work.
All you have to do for greyscale in xLib is
E=X for image
F=Y for image

Code: Select all

:Repeat Ans
:real(1,68,14,3,21,0,E,F,0,0
:real8
:real(1,68,14,3,21,0,E+3,F,0,0
:End
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

ninja_master wrote:
kalan_vod wrote:Or you could use rigview if you want :P..
Rigveiw wouldn't work for this because there are menus going at the same time. Also it is only in the corner of the screen so it wouldn't work.
Not true, just make the image have the menu options and put it in a loop.