The New xLIB - An APP

Moderator: tr1p1ea

DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Nope as all sprites are repeated at least 5 times in the game and some are repeated 50 times or more. Using pictures for every maps would waste preciuos memory and 256 pictures is not enough for reuben quest
ImageImageImageImage
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

Oh dam, now i'll have to make EBL an app too to be able to compete with this.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

well, i dont think we should be competing against each other ...
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Yeah, Bram, EBL will be slower but take less mem, xlib will be faster but larger (since xlib uses matrices for map data and EBL uses strings) plus EBL has Direct Input (though it would rock if XLIb had it as well, because I could use some really fast key detection for Aura's real-time battles).
Also, I have a couple ideas:

1. Make the tilemap routine only able to draw maps with tiles that are multiples of 8 pixels, but drawsprite able to draw sprites of any size (would it be possible to remove the limitation in Omnicalc that only allows sprite widths to be multiples of 8?)

2. Allow tiles to be from pics 1-255, or at least pics 1-40.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

I dont think that removing the horizontalk multiple of 8 limit would be possible it would far away too slow :p

EDIT: The grayscale PWNZ! It's so fast compared to Omnicalc that I'll even have to slow it down to sync with the TI-83+SE LCD when making title screens :)
ImageImageImageImage
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well sprite data has to be a multiple of 8 ... but that doesnt mean sprites have to be. If you want a 12x16 sprite, just draw it in a 16x16 sprite?

I have a direct input routine but it is of no use ... key detection is not what slows basic programs down, its the processing of the keys (the If K= blah etc).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Btw have you fixed the maps yet Because I tried the ademo.8xp with the new beta and it didnt seemed to work fine. :P
ImageImageImageImage
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

1.) it would be cool to have greyscale graphic files stored as programs to alow fairly fast greyscale tile maps and sprites by recording to 3 screen graphic buffers and using an interupt for 4 level grey
2.)a sprite scalling/stretching/rotating/deforming routine (could alow for some amazing special effects)
3.)isometric tile map
4.)Matrix rotation would be cool, as would a generaly faster matrix imput (to store a number into y/x on a matrix) and matrix output
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Hmm I guess he would have to rewrite the whole APP. I think he should just implement the basics functions in this version then maybe make a new APP/program with the routines you are talking about later.

@tr1p1ea: don't allow archived pictures to be recalled, it would be too slow. If youare planning on doing this you should make a separate recallpic function so the current one wont get too slow

EDIT: (After testing new beta you sent me): Now the grayscale in title screen is almost ASM like on my 83+, I just see a few scanlines going down slowly from the top of the screen to the bottom, yeah truse me, it's now almost flickerless on my 83+ :twisted:

I dunno about the SE though, do you know if Jim e LCD fix can improve grayscale quality on the SE?
Last edited by DJ_O on Tue 26 Apr, 2005 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Yeah, good point. You can always just unarchive pics beforehand. However, it would be great if you allowed it to read pics higher than 10. Guess what my next project's gonna be.. I think I'll do the first-ever BASIC greyscale rpg with sprite masking and tile scrolling! Btw, is there already a release? I wonder how greyscale looks on a black 83+, it was flickery with omnicalc but I hope we can achieve flickerless grey on a black 83+ with this.
EDIT: Oh yeah, I don't think I use 1000 tiles... though I haven't drawn al my tiles yet. My tiles are just really large. I have things set up on a 16x16 grid, but many of my tiles are as large as 48x48.

DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Hmm, problemo: I cleared my RAM, I reinstalled and I tried the new version on my SE and it doesnt seems to work properly. On the 83+ the gray demo work flawlessly as I said in my post above, but on the Silver Edition the picture look completly distorted and during grayscale execution some part of the pictures appearf randomly anywhere on the screen as vertical bands, when I quit the program then go on the graph screen it look fine. I am wondering why this happen? It used to work yesterday with the other version but now it doesnt anymore. Here is a screenshot of what I got on my SE:
I know this is not the grayscale because I putted a pause command after thew first line of code (where the first pic is displayed) and this is what I got and I never get the same result/screen. :(

*downloads Jim e LCD fix*

EDIT: Jim e LCD fix didnt fixed the problem, it just made the LCD refresh state smoother

EDIT 2: Anyway, I think you should change this topic title to "Omnicalc got p\/\/n3d!!!111" :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Sounds like tr1p foregot to turn off the 15mhz speed before updating the lcd, That would explain the buffer being correct and the lcd being messed up.
You know tr1p there are alot of extra clocks in between the needed delay at 15mhz, you could do something useful with that.

My lcd fix wouldm't do squat for that. Different hardware :(
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Just a thought: I guess it's the calc speed that cause problems like Jim e said but could this be also the TI_OS compatibility, because on my 83+ I have version 1.14 and on my SE I have 1.18 ?

Also would setting the CPU to 6 MHz everytime the LCD is updated slow down the function a lot?
ImageImageImageImage
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

I'm still leaning towards the cpu speed, but you never know. You could try upgrading or downgrading one the calcs.
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Tr1p, this rocks sooo hard! You are now officially my hero.