Next version of xLIB - features?

Moderator: tr1p1ea

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Demon wrote:It'll display a mouse on either the homescreen or the graphscreen that you can move around and when you hit any other key other than the arrowkeys to move it, it'll return the key pressed and the cursor location.
You can program that yourself in basic right now.
JoostinOnline

Post by JoostinOnline »

That's a good idea, but I think that somthing like that would be better as a small assembly routine, since it wouldn't be used very often.
"Macs are the Perfect Computers", said the Perfect Idiot.
Testing for:
Vera
Demon

Post by Demon »

kalan_vod wrote:
Demon wrote:It'll display a mouse on either the homescreen or the graphscreen that you can move around and when you hit any other key other than the arrowkeys to move it, it'll return the key pressed and the cursor location.
You can program that yourself in basic right now.
I know, but it's really slow (see PyroEdit on an 83+).
"Python has dynamic typing, and dynamic binding, which means that not only does it make a great secretary, it is also pretty damn kinky." --Henry the Adequate

<My Artwork>
magicdanw

Post by magicdanw »

I know that DoorsCS has a mouse routine for assembly programs to use. If KermMartian wanted to, he could probably add a parser hook to his app that let basic programmers use the mouse too. However, I think he's got his hands full right now, what with his hosting company disappearing and taking his site with it :(
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

tr1p, are you working on that thing I requested? I just want to know whether I should just try to work around it.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I can implement it, but well xLIB is kind of between versions atm. I guess i could patch the current version for you.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

It would be great if you could that whenever you've got the time. Thanks man!

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Vuurrobin

Post by Vuurrobin »

phew, I can't beleave I read the entire topic in one go.

anyway, to get to the point, here are my ideas (althouh some are already suggested).

function 1, the drawsprite function, has an option to flip it horizontal. could you include a vertical flip option. IMO that is usefull for walking sprites. you would only need one sprite for both left and right.

for the drawmap function, couldn't you create string support for it. I mean, a 10*10 matrix is 911 bytes and a string with a length of 100 is 111 bytes. this would mean people could use 8 strings (one for tiles, one for hit detection, one for events, ect) instead one matrix and stil it would be smaller. you could even use 3 tokens for one tile. example:

"000001002003......098099100->str1

you could even treat non-number tokens as 0, so people could stil hide information in it.

function 8, the getkey function, to support multiple keypresses with 2nd and alpha. it would be usefull as a running button, shooting or as a charge beam while walking or as a sword and shield with zelda like games.

a execasm( command. this way, people can use small routines like the ones found here. other asm programmers could help with making small hex programs, and people will bug you less with functions for xlib. this will also allow you to delete some functions like the runindicator to make some room, since people can use a hex code for it.

and if you are afraid people will misuse this to create virus programs, then don't be. it is not your responcebility and there isn't anything you can do about it. if someone has the hex code of a virus program, then he/she can just put in a program and use it that way, or they can use omnicalc or celtic3 or something.

and people should make sure that they type the hex code correctly and test it before sharing it.

a linking function. currently, it is really hard to create linked games and a good linking function would really help.

a music function. music in basic would be a bit hard, and not that many people has the right equipment for it, but it would be cool to do.

that are all the functions for xlib, but I do have some other stuff.

does the tokens for the hacked pics work with archive/unarchive. if so, could you tell me/us how to get those tokens, (or create a small asm program that gets the tokens). since celtic3 includes a group unpacking function, people could use it to create a installing program that ungroups a group with hacked pics and then archive the pics so the user wouldn't need to do it. and if the asmexec( function will be included, people could use this to archive programs to.

edit: I forgot that celtic included an option for archiving programs

could you explain the screen buffer and the lcd_update in the readme, since I feel a lot of beginning xlib programmers don't know what it is and that it is confusing them.

same go's for the AND, OR and XOR logic to draw a sprite.

could you also include a routine in the readme to detect if xlib is installed, I think a lot of people would find that handy.

maybe update the demo, there are some improvements that can be done.

if backward compatabillity will be broken, then so be it. there are already great games out using xlib, but if there will be more great games with the new version, then IMO it is only a good thing. however, if you decide to break compatabillity, then:

-eather give it a new name (like xlib2 or xlib+), or change the version to 2.00 or something (and chance this version to 1.00)
-name the app itself something different than it now is, so people can have both version on there calc at the same time (just swith a lowercase or an uppercase letter)
-put the download as a new program, instead of updating the current one, so people can still download the old one.

edit: if the links are broken, than it is becouse h t t p somehow is a spamword.
Last edited by Vuurrobin on Wed 26 Sep, 2007 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

You can already check if xlib is installed, and you would not be able to if xlib was not installed (have xlib check if it is installed..).
magicdanw

Post by magicdanw »

Vuurrobin said to include the routine to check if it's installed in the readme, not in the app. He meant to write the basic code you need to check in the readme file. So he wasn't saying that xlib doesn't currently have a routine, and he wasn't saying xlib should check if itself doesn't exist. He was just saying to explain how to check in the readme.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

real(0
If not(Ans:Then
Disp "XLIB NOT ENABLED
Stop
End
ImageImageImageImage
Demon

Post by Demon »

DJ Omnimaga wrote:1
real(0
If not(Ans:Then
Disp "XLIB NOT ENABLED
Stop
End
or

Code: Select all

1:real(0
If not(Ans
Menu("xLIB Not Enabled","Quit",X
Lbl X
ClrHome
Output(1,1,"
"Python has dynamic typing, and dynamic binding, which means that not only does it make a great secretary, it is also pretty damn kinky." --Henry the Adequate

<My Artwork>
calc84maniac

Post by calc84maniac »

vuurrobin wrote:does the tokens for the hacked pics work with archive/unarchive. if so, could you tell me/us how to get those tokens, (or create a small asm program that gets the tokens).
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 39138.html
[/self promotion]
~calc84maniac has spoken.

Projects:
F-Zero 83+
Project M (Super Mario for 83+)
Demon

Post by Demon »

calc84maniac wrote:
vuurrobin wrote:does the tokens for the hacked pics work with archive/unarchive. if so, could you tell me/us how to get those tokens, (or create a small asm program that gets the tokens).
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 39138.html
[/self promotion]
Is there a non-interactive version of that that you just put a the decimal number of the token in Ans and it returns to you the character?

<My Artwork>
Vuurrobin

Post by Vuurrobin »

kalan_vod wrote:You can already check if xlib is installed, and you would not be able to if xlib was not installed (have xlib check if it is installed..).
like magicdawn already said, I didn't mean a function in the app itself, since I already knew that was impossible and that there was a basic routine (the one DJ Omnimaga posted) to check if xlib is installed.
but I know that because I check forums like this one, UTI and omnimaga. but since people mostly download it from ticalc.org and it's not explained in the readme and there isn't a link in the readme (exept the name in the credits section), most people won't find out about this routine (or the explanation of the graph buffer or the display methots) and end up confused, not taking the full power of xlib or not using xlib altogether.

and how hard can it be to copy some code or put an explanation in the readme :wink:

Is there a non-interactive version of that that you just put a the decimal number of the token in Ans and it returns to you the character?
if you have some time left, you can create a basic version of that by getting all the tokens, put them in a string, and use sub( to get the correct one out.

I have seen serveral people posting this:
real(X)=X-imag(X)

but when I try it, the imag( turns the imaginary number in a real number. am I doing something wrong or are all those people that posted that wrong?

I did get it to work by putting a i before imag(

why is it that I can't post something with h t t p in it and others can?