Your Computer Specs

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

... not for laptops ...
ImageImage
gangsta
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by gangsta »

my comp is a desktop...
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

coelurus wrote:I can't get my head around to what good a 6800 with 256 MB of vid RAM will do. A 6600 gt 128MB will do anything currently at very high settings and they're really cheap in comparison.
how about a 7800 with 256 mb RAM? For that matter, how about 2 Geforce 7800's with 256 mb ram each, in SLI configuration :twisted: :excited:
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

gangsta wrote:my comp is a desktop...
yes, but they were specifically talking about laptops...
ImageImage
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

lloydkirk1989 wrote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834224034

Thats a cheap amd64 laptop.
*cough*Integrated Mirage 2 Graphics Engine*cough*
AndySoft wrote:... not for laptops ...
Uhh actually yes. The laptops I am looking at are desktop replacement laptops, and you can change ANYTHING in it except the motherboard. :P It all pops apart so you can add ram, buy another hardrive, upgrade the graphics...

EDIT: here's a picture of the alienware one-
CompWiz wrote:
coelurus wrote:I can't get my head around to what good a 6800 with 256 MB of vid RAM will do. A 6600 gt 128MB will do anything currently at very high settings and they're really cheap in comparison.
how about a 7800 with 256 mb RAM? For that matter, how about 2 Geforce 7800's with 256 mb ram each, in SLI configuration :twisted: :excited:
While the regular 7800 is out, the 7800 go isn't out yet.
bananas... o.o
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Spengo wrote:
lloydkirk1989 wrote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834224034

Thats a cheap amd64 laptop.
*cough*Integrated Mirage 2 Graphics Engine*cough*
AndySoft wrote:... not for laptops ...
Uhh actually yes. The laptops I am looking at are desktop replacement laptops, and you can change ANYTHING in it except the motherboard. :P It all pops apart so you can add ram, buy another hardrive, upgrade the graphics...

EDIT: here's a picture of the alienware one-
CompWiz wrote:
While the regular 7800 is out, the 7800 go isn't out yet.
That's why I don't like replacement desktops. What is that like 5 freakin cooling fans? My mainstream grade laptop only has 1 fan and like 2 vents (no fans). Sure you can't upgrade it but it's bound to run much cooler than a desktop replacement. I guess if you want mobility and power you can get desktop replacements but mobility always assosicated itself in terms of you can actually carry it around and use it on battery power.
I would seriously get this Compaq and I wish I could exchange my laptop for it.. but I guess it's kinna late. Oh well at least an X600 is better than a 9200 and .... Intel's Integrated Graphics *shudder*
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopp ... uter_store

Starts $899 and you can choose from a Celeron M or Pentium M cpu. Comes with a Mobility Radeon X700 w/ 128MB of framebuff memory. BTW The X700 has 8 pipes unlike the X600 which has 4 *pissed*
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

I really don't care much about the battery life. I can always find somewhere to plug in. I'm also willing to lug around an extra 3.5lbs to get the geforce 6800 go. (The one you put says 6.5 lbs. The one I like says 10lbs.)

...and it's four fans and a few vents, not five fans. :lol: One of those round things on the bottom is a subwoofer.

Hopefully, when alienware comes out with some amd gaming notebooks, they will still be around $2k and will have a lot longer battery. :o
bananas... o.o
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

No, the batteries die out faster actually if they're exposed to heat. You're better off reducing them to 40% and then storing them if you don't plan on using them for some time.
BTW, 5 fans because there is a side CPU fan... isn't there? Oh maybe i'm having hallucinations again... d@mn atomware!

... umm what good is a subwoofer on the bottom? It's like the guy who said "Hey! Let's put speakers on the shoulder rests on laptops!"
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

I don't understand what you are no-ing to at the top of your post. Subwoofers...weeell, I suppose if you're listening to music on it or something. :? The alienware in the picture I posted has four fans.
bananas... o.o
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Jeez, why don't they just slap a radiator on it. :roll:
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

the subwoofer is definitely for the music. this is Audio DJ compatible, notice the
you can play cds without loading windose.

as for my comp....

Dell dim 2350
2 Ghz
768 RAM
128 dedicated Radeon PCI 9250 grfx card
(crappy dells, no agp...)
xp home sp2
dvd-rom, cd R/RW, floppy
37gig HD

im going to college too, so I also need a laptop/notebook. Im looking at the ones from Cyberpowerpc over alienware because
#1 the Area-51m have WAY more than i need
#2 the Sentia only has a 12' model
#3 no AMD :x
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Post by koolmansam375 »

CompWiz wrote:
how about a 7800 with 256 mb RAM?
theyre somewhat expensive (compared to a 6800 Ultra or 6800GT), but i found a good one on newegg im planning to get.
For that matter, how about 2 Geforce 7800's with 256 mb ram each, in SLI configuration :twisted: :excited:
too freakin expensive

Pongwars shall live!

blog is down atm. :-(
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Damn, a PCI 9250. I installed a PCI 9200SE on my sis' desktop and you can obviously notice the bottlenecks of PCI.
BTW- what's the sound on it? Intel HD I presume?
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Do the amd 64's run 32 bit programs faster than the Ghz of the processor? 'Cause most programs these days are still 32 bit.
crzyrbl wrote: im going to college too, so I also need a laptop/notebook. Im looking at the ones from Cyberpowerpc over alienware because
#1 the Area-51m have WAY more than i need
#2 the Sentia only has a 12' model
#3 no AMD :x
Lol a twelve foot laptop! Inches are ". :lol:
bananas... o.o
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Huh? :? AMD64 cpus use AMD's 32-bit x86 extension called the x86-64. Basically what AMD did was instead of an entirely new architecture overhaul, thyey extended the original x86 32-bit commands to 64-bit so coding and transistion would be eaisier. And of course they threw in a couple of new 64-bit commands 8)
as we speak, Microsoft supports AMD's x86-64 architecture in it's Windows XPee Prostitute Edition 64-bit.
Anyway it shouldn't matter. All AMD64s own Pentium 4 CPUs.