COVID-19 - Check-in

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

COVID-19 - Check-in

Post by tr1p1ea »

I hope everyone is going OK regarding COVID-19? Particularly those who reside in countries that are affected more than others.

Let me know if you need anything.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DJ_O
Calc King

Re: COVID-19 - Check-in

Post by DJ_O »

We've hit record amounts of daily cases over here as the second wave hits, especially in my city and Montreal, but so far they didn't put everything in lockdown like during the first wave. Stores are open, restaurants offer takeout/delivery and we can go out, but bars, theaters and sport venues are closed.

As I am disabled and cannot work, COVID pretty much changed nothing for my finances, although I noticed that grocery stores increased their prices.
ImageImageImageImage
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Dang that sucks - hopefully in the last month things have gotten better DJ?

Also that's a low act by grocery stores, raising prices in a crisis. Some governments instituted price freezes for staple items, which was a good move.

Here in Aus things are getting better, my state hasn't had a new case for 17 days now.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Over here it got worse in Alberta province, but in Quebec the amount of new cases per day has been steady for almost 3 months now. In my city things seems to get better, though.
ImageImageImageImage
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Any progress? Hope everyone is going ok.

In Australia we are mostly over it with a few cases emerging from returning international travelers ... but as we know it doesn't take long for it to get out of control.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

It kind of got out of control during the holidays but in recent days daily cases have gone down significantly. Keep in mind we have a curfew now, though (8 PM to 5 AM). With vaccines coming in at an increasing rate I'm kinda optimistic, though.
ImageImageImageImage
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Hope you are all well.. was the board reset? :insane:
I work in public safety and thankfully got my first shot/jab last week (pfizer)

Had some... interesting reactions. Hopefully it isn't a bad sign for the second.
Hope you can all get yours soon.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Long time no see, currahee, hope you've been well! My girlfriend's an optometrist and so also had her first jab last week (Pfizer) but only had a sore arm for a day or so afterwards. It's the people I know who've had the AstraZeneca one that seem to be more prone to feeling unwell afterwards, but fortunately even then they're in the minority.

The hosting company for this server removed PHP 5.x and so we had to update phpBB to a more modern version which sadly doesn't support the older skin we were using, but at least we could hang on to the old content.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Hey currahee, hope you're feeling better and glad to see you here!

Out of interest, what made you check the forums?
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

benryves wrote: Wed 17 Feb, 2021 11:52 pm Long time no see, currahee, hope you've been well! My girlfriend's an optometrist and so also had her first jab last week (Pfizer) but only had a sore arm for a day or so afterwards. It's the people I know who've had the AstraZeneca one that seem to be more prone to feeling unwell afterwards, but fortunately even then they're in the minority.

The hosting company for this server removed PHP 5.x and so we had to update phpBB to a more modern version which sadly doesn't support the older skin we were using, but at least we could hang on to the old content.
Thank you, I have been doing well and I hope it's been alright for you in the UK. That's good that she's had her vaccine, I was pretty tired the first two days. I get my 2nd on Monday. Interesting how they removed PHP 5.x but I guess they did it for security? 1&1, my hosting provider, has been forcing (pay for support or upgrade) everyone to run the latest versions.
Hey currahee, hope you're feeling better and glad to see you here!

Out of interest, what made you check the forums?
Hello there! Doing well thank you!
Sometimes I just like to stroll down memory lane and take a peek at the state of the TI community, and see if old websites I've been to still exist. Saw that there was some activity here and thought I'd say hello :)

I'm surprised to see that La Planete TI is still around... the TI community really seems empty now. Looks like Cemetech is slowing to a crawl and Omnimaga is almost done in terms of activity.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Yeah, in recent years most big sites became very quiet. CodeWalrus had a good run a few years ago after it split from Omnimaga, but after I got PTSD and juju got a job it kind of died (even MaxCoderz has more posts now) and nowadays most of the remaining CW activity has been concentrated on Discord. Cemetech is very quiet as well sometimes, but both TI-Planet and Cemetech have active Discord servers it seems.

I barely do anything TI related nowadays but I still plan to release another version of First Fantasy in the near future. It took me nearly two decades to discover that SetupEditor can unarchive lists and I have other things to update as well in it. By La Planète TI, do you mean the old TI-83 french site or the newer site? The former hasn't been updated in nearly two decades, yet it's still online.

As for COVID, my former city is nearly free of covid cases now and my current city doesn't have that many per day anymore. Vaccination is really slow, though (about 2000-10000 people per day get their shot) so it's gonna take a while to vaccinate 8 million people.
ImageImageImageImage