So... what happened?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

currahee
Calc Wizard

So... what happened?

Post by currahee »

So I come back here... it's been what... 5 years? 4 years?

What happened? :crazy: is the TI community still alive?
Detached hasn't had a post since 2009 (their forums are somewhat active)
I see UTI has killed off their subdomains

... and people are still downloading that crappy Pokemon game I ported over god knows how long ago. People still tell me it doesn't work and that it resets their calculator memory. Kinda funny though :lol: if only they knew GraphLink is a better program than TI-Connect...

So how's it going? :mrgreen:
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: So... what happened?

Post by tr1p1ea »

I saw currahee and thought, i know that nick!

hows it been going?

Sadly life is taking priority over calc programming which is a real downer sometimes, but i do check the forums nearly every day :).

Am still marginally working on a couple of projects that i want to finish sometime in the next decade :).

What have you been up to?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

The TI community is still pretty alive, lots of new stuff being worked on or released and BrandonW hacking everything he touches (using a 84+ to jailbreak a Playstation 3 for example).

I would even say that from Fall 2010 to Summer 2011, the TI community was more active than in 2003-05, both in terms of posting and releases. It's just that pretty much the entire TI community moved to Omnimaga and to a lesser extent Cemetech over the years. I would say it's partly due to Axe Parser and TI-Nspire hacking for the former and Doors CS7/SourceCoder for the latter, but also the fact a lot of MC/UTI/DS staff went inactive and the lack of project updates caused people to check less and less over time.

Today both Omni and Cemetech are still active, but less than they were one year ago. Eg in Nov 2010 there were over 12600 posts on Omni and in 2011 it went down to 9000.

I personally do not check calc posts much anymore, although lately it was more due to being more into music producing combined with being sick and busy (*cough*Starcraft II*cough*).

Something MaxCoderz should do is:

- get the entire staff to update all of your releases readmes on ticalc.org and change the URL to www.maxcoderz.org instead of www.maxcoderz.com/net. In 2009, there were people on Omni asking me what happened to MaxCoderz website because the .org move was never announced anywhere outside MaxCoderz.

- Put back all old downloads on the front page (or somewhere on the site). That stuff was part of MaxCoderz history (FFTOM2 is still my favorite calc RPG) and it would be great to see that stuff put back on the site it originated from.

-Post a bit more updates about projects, although that can be hard if life comes in the way or if you no longer do calc stuff. in the latter case, I guess you can always branch out like Cemetech did (hardware mods, Minecraft/Blockland maps, web design, computer projects, etc)
ImageImageImageImage
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Hey trip, nice to see a familiar name!
I just got done with college, i'm saving up money before I become a poor graduate student 8) I've pretty much lost interest in the graphing calculator ever since the computers stopped shipping with a serial port lol.

Hey Omnimaga, I see your site has a lot of activity! I'm surprised fzero is on there. It seems like its been awhile since ive seen a port attempt.

I miss the days of alienhead productions with Hitoshi's legendary BASIC games. Any of you know what happened to him?
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

OH RIGHT! Alienhead Productions! That was where Hitoshi actually started. I didn't get to see the site much because of the Calc.org crash in 2002 and the merge with MaxCoderz. As for Hitoshi the most recent thing I remember is one post from him on my Youtube FFTOM video and I think he did post on Omni's new board once, around 2009, but he said he was DJ'ing at the time and had no plan to code. If I remember he asked what happened to MaxCoderz and I pointed him out to the "new" URL, but haven't heard about him ever since.

His post is lost in a myriad of others by now, so it might be hard to find, and right now Omnimaga is down so I would need to wait a few hours to be able to check again.

My guess tho is that Hitoshi really moved on from the TI community. Hopefully things are better than they were in his life back then, though.

As for F-Zero, calc84maniac is actually developing it, but right now he's focusing on TI-Boy SE (GB emulator) and a TI-Nspire GBC emulator. I think afterward he'll probably work on his Mario clone, but maybe he'll resume F-Zero again. He tends to jump from a project to another. :P

EDIT: Ok I found a Google cache: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... ient=opera
hopefully Netham45 fixes the server soon, though.

Also I really gotta get Ben or tr1p to change my nick. I've been using DJ_O on most active calc sites for a while (I used to use Kevin then later xlibman)
ImageImageImageImage
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Hey, congrats on finishing your degree!
I just recently started coding again (over at RevSoft) and several months ago started what turned into the beginnings of an RPG until my computer crashed. Also, i don't even have a calculator anymore, i just use WabbitEmu/PindurTI :D
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

tr1p1ea wrote:Sadly life is taking priority over calc programming which is a real downer sometimes, but i do check the forums nearly every day :).
This is my issue, too; work has left me with very little time to work on my own projects this year but I do try to keep relatively active in the community.
DJ_O wrote:Something MaxCoderz should do is:

- get the entire staff to update all of your releases readmes on ticalc.org and change the URL to http://www.maxcoderz.org instead of http://www.maxcoderz.com/net. In 2009, there were people on Omni asking me what happened to MaxCoderz website because the .org move was never announced anywhere outside MaxCoderz.
Hopefully maxcoderz.org will be around a bit longer as I work in web development. :) It's a shame we don't have those domains any more, but I think the affected readmes are more likely to be from members who no longer post on here so I'm not sure what we'd be able to do.
- Put back all old downloads on the front page (or somewhere on the site). That stuff was part of MaxCoderz history (FFTOM2 is still my favorite calc RPG) and it would be great to see that stuff put back on the site it originated from.
I'd be glad to do this but don't know what "all" the downloads would entail. I agree that an archive of all MaxCoderz releases would be great to have, however.
-Post a bit more updates about projects, although that can be hard if life comes in the way or if you no longer do calc stuff. in the latter case, I guess you can always branch out like Cemetech did (hardware mods, Minecraft/Blockland maps, web design, computer projects, etc)
To be perfectly honest I think no news is better than irrelevant news, myself, and there are far better places to go for Minecraft or computer programming topics than a calculator-based site like Cemetech.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Shoot, I was typing a response and my Galaxy Tab crashed. Anyway.
Omnimaga, I remember when Hitoshi posted the FFTOM3 demo. I tried downloading it but it disappeared! I think what happened was that his computer crashed right? And that's when he stopped altogether.

Shame, my most anticipated Hitoshi game was that cowboy bebop like game where you were a bounty hunter.

Thanks chickendude! Good to see another familiar face (?or rather name) around here.

I have some programs before the great ticalc.org archive purge. Kinda want to try them out again. The thing that keeps me away from my 83p though is my smartphone. I just can't stand things being slow. Maybe I should get a 84+ and actually make games for once.

I thought coding on the TI-83+ sucked. Which was kind of why I didn't want to be a CS major. Though when I took programming later as an elective, it sure is a hell of a lot easier when you have a 22" screen rather than a small black and white screen! I had the unfortunate experience of taking COBOL. That language just needs to die in a fire.

I was also thinking about making FFTOM as a custom campaign for Warcraft 3. I've toyed with the idea but never stuck to it. Now that I have endless amounts of free time for now perhaps I should go with it...

Oh and I am most impressed with the Gameboy emulator. The CPU is the same on the GB and TI-83 series calcs. Most impressive indeed...

Gosh this is making me want to buy a refurb NSpire I saw on ebay for about $67!
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

benryves wrote:
tr1p1ea wrote:Sadly life is taking priority over calc programming which is a real downer sometimes, but i do check the forums nearly every day :).
This is my issue, too; work has left me with very little time to work on my own projects this year but I do try to keep relatively active in the community.
DJ_O wrote:Something MaxCoderz should do is:

- get the entire staff to update all of your releases readmes on ticalc.org and change the URL to http://www.maxcoderz.org instead of http://www.maxcoderz.com/net. In 2009, there were people on Omni asking me what happened to MaxCoderz website because the .org move was never announced anywhere outside MaxCoderz.
Hopefully maxcoderz.org will be around a bit longer as I work in web development. :) It's a shame we don't have those domains any more, but I think the affected readmes are more likely to be from members who no longer post on here so I'm not sure what we'd be able to do.
I'd be glad to do this but don't know what "all" the downloads would entail. I agree that an archive of all MaxCoderz releases would be great to have, however.
To be perfectly honest I think no news is better than irrelevant news, myself, and there are far better places to go for Minecraft or computer programming topics than a calculator-based site like Cemetech.
By readmes I meant the ones by the staff that are still around. For example, Desolate readme still goes to an outdated MaxCoderz link.

As for all downloads, you would have to check the Wayback Machine from around 2005. In 2006 when the site switched portals, FFTOM, FFTOM2, Dark Star, Stardust, Phantoom Star, etc, were all deleted from the site. I think it kinda sucked in some ways that almost the entire MaxCoderz history got deleted and only some of the new stuff was kept.

I guess you are right about the Minecraft comment, although it kinda depends of people. Because the TI community is in direct competition with smartphones and handhelds, we had to fight harder to keep people around for longer and still keep a certain interest towards calcs. On Omnimaga for example there is an entire section for computer development and a gaming sub-forum, and a bunch of members like to have all of this there instead of having to go to another site. Of course everyone is different, though
ImageImageImageImage
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Good to see some other familiar faces around here and MC still somewhat active. Kinda like RevSoft at the moment ha
The Revolution is here...
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

I wish we could get in touch with some of the older folks to see if they still had source to release, it'd be nice to see some new progress on those projects :)
ISUCK
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by ISUCK »

I gotta say, for the longest time I would continue checking Maxcoderz almost monthly. I think it all stopped when I got my DS. Even then, I came around occasionally. Shame I go to a university where calculators are almost like an endangered species.

I remember all of you guys... it's crazy. This was one of my adolescent stomping grounds...
Xeda

Post by Xeda »

I've not been around in ... a while :/ I actually think that was due to my switch from Firefox to Chrome o.O In Firefox, I had all of the calc sites bookmarked and I have been too lazy to bookmark everything again. I just got done bookmarking a few other sites and I still have a few more to go :D

I am one of the younger members to post in this topic, probably (or at least newer), but life is going to catch up for me, too, soon.
shmibs

Post by shmibs »

currahee wrote:I thought coding on the TI-83+ sucked. Which was kind of why I didn't want to be a CS major. Though when I took programming later as an elective, it sure is a hell of a lot easier when you have a 22" screen rather than a small black and white screen! I had the unfortunate experience of taking COBOL. That language just needs to die in a fire.
i've had the opposite experience thus far. with all this "object oriented programming" everyone's using these days, everything is ridiculously convoluted and arbitrary, and simple things take so long to implement. just give me my raw data to shift around, thank you very much!
currahee wrote:Oh and I am most impressed with the Gameboy emulator. The CPU is the same on the GB and TI-83 series calcs. Most impressive indeed...
the gameboy uses a modified z80, but it was close enough, i guess :)
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Wow, you people are all still here :shock: That's awesome :D

I haven't been here in ... years I guess. But someone found my essay on multi calculator networking and started bugging me about it through e-mail. So, here I am, finding myself in memory lane :)

It REALLY annoys me, looking back, that I've had to move my server off-campus because I no longer live there. That means that I don't own the timendus.student.utwente.nl domain anymore and the assembler API, my CLAP and Bell projects, the Vera website and others are all down and all the links are broken... :(

Anyway, good to see you're all still alive and that some bit of calculator history has managed to survive in this time of smartphone and tablet madness ;)
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS