This site is almost dead

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

zhangvict

This site is almost dead

Post by zhangvict »

Just feeling sad that nobody is doing anything much here anymore, with most recent posts being a year old on some topics.

random question, is web hosting for this site free? if not why is it still here?
Xeda

Re: This site is almost dead

Post by Xeda »

Yeah, I've been hanging around recently hoping for some random activity (like this :D).
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

zhangvict wrote:random question, is web hosting for this site free? if not why is it still here?
What do you mean by that?
Xeda

Post by Xeda »

Oh, ouch I didn't read that. That sounds a little provoking :upsetsurprised:
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

It depends on how you read it - it could be interpreted as the opinion that the site is so worthless that it's not worth spending any money on maintaining, or it could be that whoever is supposed to be maintaining it has vanished and the only reason the site is still around is because nobody needs to pay the bills to keep it running.

I really do wish I had more time to work on my own projects - I really loved working on Nostromo, but I haven't had any time to work on anything since November, really. Work has been absolutely crazy over the last few months for me.

I have just posted a news story about a project I worked on in October last year, though, remembering that I hadn't posted it on any calculator-related sites, just my personal one.
Xeda

Post by Xeda »

Oh, okay :) I only recently learned of MaxCoderz and before this year I pretty much had no internet. I am at college, now, but when I go back home I don't have internet :(

(that is usually when I will be less active:D )
zhangvict

Post by zhangvict »

Sorry, I didn't mean for my post to be intrpreted at this site being worthless, of course it is not ture. I did mean whether this site does not have any bills need to pay so that is the reason why it is still being maintained despite it's inactivity.

suggestion: make it so that you don't have to make an account to view forum posts. Maybe this will attract new users.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

zhangvict wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean for my post to be intrpreted at this site being worthless, of course it is not ture. I did mean whether this site does not have any bills need to pay so that is the reason why it is still being maintained despite it's inactivity.
Well, I didn't know how to read your statement. Money isn't an issue, here, though. :)
suggestion: make it so that you don't have to make an account to view forum posts. Maybe this will attract new users.
That's news to me; I can view posts when not logged in. I wonder if your IP address has anything to do with it? (We have had a lot of Chinese spammers, so it could be that an IP range has been banned...)
zhangvict

Post by zhangvict »

Yea, I am located in hong kong, which is technically in china.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

I could be wrong but I think the site had more activity since November until now than it did during the rest of 2010, though. Usually I check and there are some new posts from time to time. It definitively needs more activity, though. I hope to see some of the projects here be picked up again, even if not by their original author.

As for site hosting, if Benryves hosts it, then it most likely won't have any impact on his hosting bills, because he most likely uses his hosting space for other sites as well, such as his Benryves.com blog, kinda like how my music-related forum still remained on my old 1and1 space despite me no longer really managing it. I use the space regularly to store files and backups of stuff. I moved my own calc forum out of that webspace, though, because 1and1 isn't suitable for PHP/MySQL-dependent sites with 3 million requests per month.
ImageImageImageImage
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

DJ Omnimaga wrote:It definitively needs more activity, though. I hope to see some of the projects here be picked up again, even if not by their original author.
I hope so too. I haven't abandoned my projects, but haven't had any time to work on anything of my own recently. :(
As for site hosting, if Benryves hosts it, then it most likely won't have any impact on his hosting bills, because he most likely uses his hosting space for other sites as well [...]
Exactly this; the only overhead is the domain name, which is just a few quid annually.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

quid, man i love that word :).

This place isnt dead, like many calc forums it merely lays dormant. That said there is always something going on in the background. I still check this site almost daily :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Xeda

Post by Xeda »

I check in maybe 10 times a day since I joined :D Personally, I have been busy with other projects so I haven't really checked into the progress of many other projects, lately :oops:
Art_of_camelot

Post by Art_of_camelot »

I try to at least check weekly, but alas; it is a bit quiet here. :(
Projects:
Projects:TBA-Soonish. :)
Updated 5/3/12
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

tr1p1ea wrote:quid, man i love that word :).

This place isnt dead, like many calc forums it merely lays dormant. That said there is always something going on in the background. I still check this site almost daily :).
Glad to see you are still doing good, well around :)