upload

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Batman

upload

Post by Batman »

since all of you smart people are here... i have a question about file uploading on a host internet website provider... say they have a flash application that needs to be fixed, you fix it on your computer, but how do you put it back on the server??? Does this make any sense? :puzzled:
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: upload

Post by benryves »

You can usually access the files over FTP. Windows Explorer supports FTP reasonably well; just enter ftp://<your_host_name>/ into the address bar, enter your username and password then copy and paste between that window and any other Explorer windows as normal.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

I'd probably use FireFTP though, not because I want to go into an FTP client war but because I don't really trust Explorer with anything other than exploring the harddisk (burn a cd with it or use a networked drive to know why)
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

King Harold wrote:I'd probably use FireFTP though, not because I want to go into an FTP client war but because I don't really trust Explorer with anything other than exploring the harddisk (burn a cd with it or use a networked drive to know why)
The FTP client is rather primitive but it works well and provides a consistent interface that most people will be used to.
That said, I've burned many CDs and DVDs in Explorer and browse network shares in it on a daily basis and have yet to encounter any issues, so am not sure what you're getting at.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Maybe that's just my luck, but it totally screwed up a cd that I tried to burn with it (I've yet to see someone burn an ISO with it, AFAIK you can not even try to), and exploring a network share? Not even close. It "disappeared" every few seconds for no reason at all (causing all transfers to error instead of just pause) on top of being far too slow (on a fast university LAN)

Maybe Vista has improved in this regard.. although I've heard stories indicating the opposite (with network shares anyway, haven't heard anything about cd burning)
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

King Harold wrote:Maybe that's just my luck, but it totally screwed up a cd that I tried to burn with it (I've yet to see someone burn an ISO with it, AFAIK you can not even try to)
You are correct, you can't burn ISOs with it (for that there's ImgBurn). I've only burned one ISO in my life, though, so this isn't exactly a big deal for me. ;-)
and exploring a network share? Not even close. It "disappeared" every few seconds for no reason at all (causing all transfers to error instead of just pause) on top of being far too slow (on a fast university LAN)
Hrm, maybe there is some problem with the way your network is set up? Are you using domains or workgroups?
Maybe Vista has improved in this regard.. although I've heard stories indicating the opposite (with network shares anyway, haven't heard anything about cd burning)
Vista can burn DVDs from Explorer now, which I suppose can be flagged as progress. Also, if something fails in Explorer it will now allow you to skip or retry, useful if you try and move thousands of files around and leave one of them open for editing.
I did hear reports of some people having performance issues copying files under Vista, which were allegedly fixed in SP1 (I never had the performance problem so can't comment).
Batman

Post by Batman »

so back to the ftp server/host question... what does it mean to log on anonymously?
like ftp://maxcoderz.org ???
is that where if you had a logon you could update the page???
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Most servers that offer anonymous FTP access are read-only. You'll need the proper credentials to upload new content.
Batman

Post by Batman »

sweet, thanx a lot. you know, this is where i get all the good computer info! :D
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Hm I don't mean to say that that is a bad idea, but do you know CodeProject?
Batman

Post by Batman »

wow thank you, i need sites like that. I'm internet illiterate so any help works! :)
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Just be careful, if you say or ask something stupid they will not forgive you..
Batman

Post by Batman »

you mean like unintelligable, or something that is not supposed to be asked?
I just signed on with them
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I found CodeProject to be a bit of a mixed bag. I've found some extremely useful code on there, but seen an equal share of poor articles. That's the beauty of the comments system, I guess. :)
Batman

Post by Batman »

it seems perfect for me, because it teaches visually, i was just looking at the button tutorial for beginners, i just learned something... i like this kind of teaching. i downloaded that microsoft visual c++ quite a long time ago, and i think i am finally going to understand it...
Any other sites like that?