upload

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Batman

Re: upload

Post by Batman »

Do any of you use microsoft visual c++? is their a better way to learn window programming?
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

I have used it, but not for long.. I manged to recompile libvorbis with it though, with proper optimizations which the open source community doesn't seem to like - they insist on making everything compatible with ancient crap like 80186's, they should really learn that performance is more important than theoretical compatibility with processors no one uses..
[/rant]

Anyway, does it have to be C++? C# is a lot easier/newer.. I was going to write a comparison between C# and C++ and Java but about halfway through I noticed that it was more of a Java rant and a C# comparison :oops:
Oh well. Just have a look at it's wikipedia entry
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

C# is generally much more suitable for Windows application development. I would probably have agreed with King Harold's Java comparison had he posted it (in that it's "Java Done Right"). ;)
Batman

Post by Batman »

to be honest, i thought c# was just the old c... :?
But it is actually better than c++ huh? i have the microsoft thing for that too, maybe i should look into it.
oh and speaking of "ancient crap like 80186's" i went to my dads last friday and picked up 2 "commodor 64's" and a "commodore 128"... is their any way you can program these directly, without having to use those big floppy disks, or those cartriges? or am i better off just trashing these???
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

C# is a modern language, and strikes a good balance between being easy to use and performance.

I'm not sure what you mean by "directly programming" a C64. You can program in BASIC on them, but you'll need a floppy disk (or similar, such as a tape drive) to save programs.
Batman

Post by Batman »

so they don't have any hard memory in them do they? ok, well i don't have any os on them so can you program on them without anything with them?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

They don't have an OS on them? Have you removed the OS ROM chips or something?

Edit: To clarify, when you switch them on they should boot into BASIC, like this.
Batman

Post by Batman »

ive only tried the commodor 125, at my dads. it just had a cursor, and you couldn't type anything...
he, my dad, has like at least 4 monitors, and i brought home one, but it doesn't show a picture on the screen, it just blinks a orange static then goes out. but next time i go over their i will get another monitor. i will have to learn basic for the commodore 64.... im guessing its nothing like ti83+ BASIC is it? :P
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

The programming language on the TI-83+ is not BASIC (TI have never given it a name to my knowledge). Commodore BASIC was based on Microsoft BASIC.
Batman

Post by Batman »

oh oops, i don't know why i thought it was basic, it must have been ticalcs BASIC, ASM links.
ok, i have a book on basic, its green with yellow hatches on the cover. i guess i'll take a look at that. or i have "Compute!'s Machine Language Routines for the Commodore 64" - it all looks like asm programming though.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

"Machine language" (or "machine code") is another name for assembly, though I've seen it more frequently used to talk about raw data (hex codes) rather than the mnemonics.
Batman

Post by Batman »

ok so i have 2 computers from my dad, commodor 125 and a (supercom corpcomputer xt dtk/erso/bios 2.24(c) 1986) <- i guess thats the name of the other computer - it says that after checking the 640k of ram... it doesn't have a hard drive, just 2 drives for the big floppy disks... i have 6 of those disks full of ms dos 5.0 but i don't know how to program on a big floppy disk... i guess i'll have to buy some kind of compiler for it that is on a floppy disk.
i haven't really touched the commodor 125, it doesn't take disks... if any could shed light on how to make an exe for the supercom that would be great... or if you know anything about qbasic? does it give you control of the computer like asm does? or is it like batch programming? :?
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Are you sure it doesnt have a hard disk? Is there another drive with a light on it near the 5.25" floppy drives? Are the floppies you have dos bootdisks? You could try booting off those.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Batman

Post by Batman »

i'm positive it doesn't have a hard drive. i installed dos 5.0 and it wouldn't let me have the option to save to a hard drve. i opened it up this morning and checked. i have the origonal msdos installation floppys for it and had to install dos on 6 disks. i don't know much about the hardware, but the floppy drives connect to a removable slider, or card (r.o.c board?). on it it has 15
.5*.2 inch units, 2 longer ones, 1 small one with 8 pins,(4 on each side)and its on a platform, and then it has a zilog z765APS FDC 8631... i'm assuming this is the main cpu.
does this have the same instruction set that z80 has?
do you know where i could buy a floppy disk that has an assembler, compiler, debugger, linker, all that good stuff???

learning qbasic! its really neat, and easy...
PLAY "MFT120L8<AL16P16AA>P4P16DP16DP16<B>P16L8CL16P16CCP4P16FP16F"
smells like teen spirit 8)
Batman

Post by Batman »

i've been looking around, and apparently debug.exe or com will take assembly code and make it .com.
http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/2072/asm.htm