New Years Resolutions? ('09 edition)

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

What are your top 3 Resolutions or Goals for 2009?

Poll ended at Thu 31 Dec, 2009 7:59 am

Spend more time with friends and family
8%
Exercise or loose weight
17%
Quit a bad habit
No votes
Enjoy life more, or Loose stress overall
13%
Get out of debt
No votes
Learn something new
25%
Get a better education / job
17%
Travel
8%
Help others
No votes
Get organized
13%

Total votes: 24

DigiTan
Calc Master

New Years Resolutions? ('09 edition)

Post by DigiTan »

Here's a neat forum idea. Basically, just post up a list of generic stuff you want to accomplish within the next year. And feel free to elaborate on whichever ones you want as you go along. Next year, we can bump the topic and see how far everyone's gone. Be sure to check out the poll too and vote for your top 3.

Here's my list. I guess this is mostly in the get-more-out-of-life category. In no particular order...

Start Drawing again
I want to go on to doing concept art for various games and projects. Like pencil sketches and stuff.

Lose 10 pounds
This one's super-easy. More salad...less everything else. But it can't be New Years without a weight resolution can it?

Master the backflip and monkey vault
I've done the vault before but not too comfortable with it yet.

Meet girls
This is gonna be an uphill battle. I've considered moving closer to the city just for the nightlife.

Help the community
Like volunteering and stuff. Or maybe volunteer research overseas but that might be a long while off.

Speed up and organize projects
Should be easy without school in the way.

Manage cash better
Because no one likes being on a creditor's speed-dial.

...I got a few more coming but that's the gist of it. Anyone else got resolutions?...
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
King Harold
Calc King

Re: New Years Resolutions? ('09 edition)

Post by King Harold »

Hm some of mine are probably rare:

Gain at least 5Kg
Being "extremely underweighted" really sucks. 5Kg would make me "underweighted" (I have no idea how I ever lost the weight..)
This will be hard. Simply eating more doesn't help at all.

Actually spend time studying
I'm sick of passing with meager 7's, and I know they're the result of my Dutch mentality. This will also be hard, but I've done it once already (for the Data Structures course) so there is still hope..

Replace broken stuff
I've been using broken sunglasses for nearly a year now. Am I really that lazy? Clearly, but that will just have to change (only just enough to replace broken stuff though). This can't be too hard..
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Yeah ive got to get fit for football season and i really do need to organise myself better. I plan on saving up for a better car this year.

Oh and of course ... release stuff! :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Post more, work on ti projects more, release stuff, get more fit, study more, get accepted in the nursing program, move out :P (want to), stop typing run on sentences...
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

I left one off...

Procrastinate Way Less
Especially with bill payments and bank-related stuff because the fees can add up. Last year I had more bad checks than a Bohemian prison.

and...

Make Money Outside Work
Probably through a lot of craigslisting. My best start is probably selling textbooks before the new editions come out. And there's gold/currency investing.

Keep 'em coming! Keep 'em coming! :excited:
Projects:

King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

I replaced my broken sunglasses! that was quite fast it only took me a few months..
And I had my eyes tested because it's free: +0.5 on both eyes.. doesn't sound like a lot but I actually only see less than half as well as I used to
And I lost some weight, what the hell? I guess I'll have to eat more..
And I managed to fail 3 courses in 1 semester, damn. None of it was my fault though, I quit the first course because it had class at the same moment as the other course, and then that other course said: "ok, we're not going to tell you how, but make a super complex 3D model, you have 2 weeks, start NOW!" hell with that. So I went to an other course but then we had to do a programming assignment in groups of 2 and my partner forgot to turn it in before the deadline and there is No Way to turn it in later - it's actually impossible. So, that sucks.
But at least that gave me some time to replace my sunglasses :)
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

King Harold wrote: And I lost some weight, what the hell?
I'll trade you mine. So far, I gained 2 pounds since New Years '09. Actually, 1kg sounds nicer. Still exercising the usual 6 to 7 days a week. It's gotta be the late-night carbs. Those little hell raisers will get you every time. If you want 2 extra pounds, do what I do: 2 tablespoons of cane sugar ON everything, IN everything, WITH everything! :excited:

I saved some money on my tax return. Between Wisconsin and the feds, I'll get back almost a month's worth of pay, and Texas has no state income tax at all. Just because it's an anagram of "Taxes" doesn't mean we'll apply that "Everything's bigger..." saying to the tax code.

Doing concept art for projects here and there.

Talking to girls but...mostly just at random store checkouts. I should maybe buy the athlete's foot lotion online from now on. :lol:
Projects:

Wesley

Post by Wesley »

DigiTan wrote:
King Harold wrote: And I lost some weight, what the hell?
I'll trade you mine. So far, I gained 2 pounds since New Years '09. Actually, 1kg sounds nicer. Still exercising the usual 6 to 7 days a week. It's gotta be the late-night carbs. Those little hell raisers will get you every time. If you want 2 extra pounds, do what I do: 2 tablespoons of cane sugar ON everything, IN everything, WITH everything! :excited:
Man, I thought I was doing just fine at 129 pounds. Then, I started running for the Bronco Track & Running Club (http://www.broncotrackclub.com/) and I lost 6 pounds! I didn't know I could do that.

Anywho, just keep a consistent workout schedule everyday and try to get your heart rate pretty high like 170-180 (if you can get it higher for awhile, go ahead!) for about 10-15 minutes sometime within your workout. And staying off the carbs at night will help too 8) .
ImageImage
ImageImage
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Yeah. I normally alternate between 3 and 5 mile runs with my heart rate leveling off near 176. Part of the challenge is I have one of those jobs where you just sit on your butt most of the day. Other than our lunchtime walks, which are maybe 1 1/2 mile, it's a long day of laziness to undo. Luckily, the company springs for free gym members ship as long as you use it regularly.

I'll probably stick to all-vegetables and lean chicken until I loose the first pounds. But then again, there's a pot luck Monday, so who knows? :lol:
Projects:

DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Start Drawing again - In progress
Lose 10 pounds - Done. (Thanks in part to H1N1.)
Master the backflip and monkey vault - In progress / Done
Meet girls - Some progress
Help the community - Done (Red Cross)
Speed up and organize projects - Done
Manage cash better - Done
Procrastinate Way Less - Low progress. Too many late fees.
Make Money Outside Work - Done (~$1000. Not finalized)

Anyone else?....
Projects:

Galandros

Post by Galandros »

Organised stuff - Almost...
Starting to write - started (1 poem and some notes)
Family, friends & girlfriend - heck I am forgetting a bit...
Learn new stuff - Learnt html, css, javascript, a bit more of linux ways and other minor stuff

Now were are not far away of the end of the year. :shock:
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Digi ... H1N1 ... !!*#!^#&!#*&!#!!!!

WHOA!
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

I knew I should have cut back on the pickled pig's feet, but that truck stop looked so darned clean at the time. :lol:

Yeah, I had H1N1 just before Halloween and didn't even leave the house for a good 8 days except for the medical center. It was like regular flu's big brother. When it was over, I lost like 5 pounds which was ironically a fitness goal. Not exactly what I had in mind, but a win's a win.
Family, friends & girlfriend - heck I am forgetting a bit...
I may have to start investigating these..."girlfriend" things on a tighter schedule. Might need the Axe body spray for this one..
Projects:

King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

I didn't need Axe to get one of those "girlfriend" things, it was surprisingly easy actually..
Do you want some tips?
Galandros

Post by Galandros »

King Harold wrote:I didn't need Axe to get one of those "girlfriend" things, it was surprisingly easy actually..
Do you want some tips?
Nah and the good fun of tries and failure?