MS admits Vista is bloatware

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

King Harold
Calc King

MS admits Vista is bloatware

Post by King Harold »

By showing Windows MinWin, Microsoft has effectively admitted that Vista is bloatware. As if we didn't know it already: it's ridiculously huge in memory consumption as well as in disk space compared to any normal OS, while not offering that many extra features (not so many that it would explain over 4GB disk space or the 512MB RAM requirement).

Well it also proves that Microsoft is not totally evil..

There was also something weird in a news paper I read..
The new Mac OS 'leopard' is already popular because it allows people to install and use the OS'es of Microsoft
What kind of crap is that? How can the ability to install windows on a Mac be due to the Mac OS? Also, if that's the reason that it is so popular.. why don't all these people switch to Windows?
Timendus
Calc King

Re: MS admits Vista is bloatware

Post by Timendus »

King Harold wrote:By showing Windows MinWin, Microsoft has effectively admitted that Vista is bloatware.
I disagree. MinWin has absolutely nothing to do with a fully fledged graphical user targeted operating system. That's like comparing a bare Linux kernel with some busybox things (typically about 3MB and boots on your average washing machine ;)) to a DVD of Redhat. You can't compare them.
As if we didn't know it already: it's ridiculously huge in memory consumption as well as in disk space compared to any normal OS, while not offering that many extra features (not so many that it would explain over 4GB disk space or the 512MB RAM requirement).
It is indeed. They should be able to optimize it a LOT, but it appears they considered releasing it early a priority. Their loss.
There was also something weird in a news paper I read..
The new Mac OS 'leopard' is already popular because it allows people to install and use the OS'es of Microsoft
What kind of crap is that? How can the ability to install windows on a Mac be due to the Mac OS? Also, if that's the reason that it is so popular.. why don't all these people switch to Windows?
Easy question: You can run Word on a Mac. Or Powerpoint. You can even run arbitrary software you buy in a computer store thanks to parallels. Yet still it isn't Windows, and many people (myself included) consider that an advantage in security and stability (though you need to have Win XP running in a virtual machine, which is a huge drawback, but people don't always know that).

Of course, OpenOffice should get working on giving a better user experience, and explain the benefits of ODF and whatnot before companies will finally stop depending entirely on Microsoft Office for all their internal documentation. Perhaps, if people aren't as dependant on Microsoft Office anymore, they will start to wonder why exactely it is that they think they need Windows (on a Mac or otherwise).
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

I disagree. MinWin has absolutely nothing to do with a fully fledged graphical user targeted operating system. That's like comparing a bare Linux kernel with some busybox things (typically about 3MB and boots on your average washing machine Wink) to a DVD of Redhat. You can't compare them.
I didn't mean that, I meant that if MinWin is so small, then Vista's kernel is not what is bloating Vista. If MinWin would have been, say, 1GB, then I would have found it reasonably understandable that Vista would be over four times as large (after all, it does have more functions than MinWin) but over 100 times as large..? I do not find that acceptable, no matter how much extra functionality Vista may have.
Easy question: You can run Word on a Mac.
Why would you want to do that anyway?
But well, the point was: how can people think that "leopard allows you to install Windows"? That sounds like "Windows allows you to install Linux" - what does any OS have to do with other OS's that you may install? nothing, right? how could an OS disallow installation of an other OS anyway?
So now loads of people are buying Leopard just so they can install Windows on their Mac..
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I doubt that, I figure most Mac users will know that any Intel Mac can run Windoze.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Well it was in my newspaper (NRC)..
So either the author of the article was an idiot, or all those people out there buying Leopard from the wrong reason are, or both.
Art_of_camelot

Post by Art_of_camelot »

windows running on macs has nothing to do with mac os, and this is nothing new any ways. I've seen older MACs running windows much before the started putting intels in them.(like 7 or more years ago) So yea, what they said is a load.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Is any of you going to either listen or do some research? :)

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallels_Desktop_for_Mac

Especially take a good look at all the screenshots on the wikipedia page. They do run side by side (NOT dual boot), which does have something to do with the OS. Of course, it's mainly the achievement of the Parallels VM software that's just 100 times better than VMware or Microsoft's crap, but it also has a lot to do with integration with the windowing system.
If MinWin would have been, say, 1GB, then I would have found it reasonably understandable that Vista would be over four times as large (after all, it does have more functions than MinWin) but over 100 times as large..? I do not find that acceptable, no matter how much extra functionality Vista may have.
So, somehow, there's a difference between that and the Linux kernel being 3MB and a complete distro 200 times as large (one cd)?

Have you considered that it may not be all that difficult to get a kernel running with some threading and memory management? That you can do this in a few tenthousand lines of code, and you don't need any real resources? Of course, the Linux kernel also has quite a few drivers in it. But still, the majority of memory is wasted on the graphical parts. Hell, if you include two or three desktop backgrounds with your distribution, that's already the size of the kernel...

Apart from that I do think that Vista is a bloated piece of crap, but this is simply not an argument for that statement...

Edit: Oh, one more thing..
Easy question: You can run Word on a Mac.
Why would you want to do that anyway?
Because you're an average Joe user and you have succesfully been trained into thinking that you NEED Word to be able to read .doc files. Like Windows users think they NEED MS Paint to be able to open bitmap files. And because you need to use doc format or otherwise your manager or your secretary will not understand how to open the creepy files you e-mail to them.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Have you considered that it may not be all that difficult to get a kernel running with some threading and memory management? That you can do this in a few tenthousand lines of code, and you don't need any real resources? Of course, the Linux kernel also has quite a few drivers in it. But still, the majority of memory is wasted on the graphical parts. Hell, if you include two or three desktop backgrounds with your distribution, that's already the size of the kernel...
Windows isn't Linux, and the DLL's seem to be the majority of the disk space (whatever the heck is in them anyway). If you are right (and you usually are) then MS is on the right track now by removing redundant crap.
That does not mean that Vista isn't bloatware or that MinWin doesn't prove it. No matter what all that extra space is used for, it's bloat.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

:mrgreen:
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Timendus wrote:Of course, it's mainly the achievement of the Parallels VM software that's just 100 times better than VMware or Microsoft's crap, but it also has a lot to do with integration with the windowing system.
Note that MS VirtualPC was not developed by MS, they just bought it.
Timendus wrote:So, somehow, there's a difference between that and the Linux kernel being 3MB and a complete distro 200 times as large (one cd)?
Which distro is so little? :P A full Debian copy takes up 21 CDs, and it already needed 2 disks back in 1999 when I first tried it.
Timendus wrote:Because you're an average Joe user and you have succesfully been trained into thinking that you NEED Word to be able to read .doc files.
Reading is the easier part, and even that is quite problematic as soon as some non-trivial features are used.
Timendus wrote:And because you need to use doc format or otherwise your manager or your secretary will not understand how to open the creepy files you e-mail to them.
Uhm, MS Word 2003 couldn’t open the rtf (!) file created by OOo. When I tried to export the same thing in doc (a simple one-page doc with absolutely nothing fancy in it), some table rows simply disappeared. It doesn’t matter whose fault this is, but it is a fact that interoperability between OOo and MSO is rather poor, so unless you build a new corporate IT infrastructure from scratch, there’s little chance you can change this kind of culture around you.
King Harold wrote:Windows isn't Linux, and the DLL's seem to be the majority of the disk space (whatever the heck is in them anyway).
Shared libraries, of course... Good luck deleting /lib and /usr/lib to optimise your system. ;)
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

CoBB wrote:Which distro is so little? :P A full Debian copy takes up 21 CDs, and it already needed 2 disks back in 1999 when I first tried it.
Well, none really, as most have repositories, but an Ubuntu live CD for example has a kernel, a windowing system, some useful applications, drivers, et cetera. So that's more or less a "complete" system.
Uhm, MS Word 2003 couldn’t open the rtf (!) file created by OOo. When I tried to export the same thing in doc (a simple one-page doc with absolutely nothing fancy in it), some table rows simply disappeared. It doesn’t matter whose fault this is, but it is a fact that interoperability between OOo and MSO is rather poor, so unless you build a new corporate IT infrastructure from scratch, there’s little chance you can change this kind of culture around you.
I never said interoperability isn't poor. In fact, it's horrible. But the idea that you can only open and edit a file type with one application is very much 1990, and Microsoft likes to keep the average Joe user in 1990 because most of Joe's files are in Microsoft's file formats. And it being difficult to change the IT culture in a corporate environment is exactely my point why it's a good move from Apple to make MS Office run on Macs.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Timendus wrote:And it being difficult to change the IT culture in a corporate environment is exactely my point why it's a good move from Apple to make MS Office run on Macs.
But is it really news? After all, MSO has been available under Linux too for ages thanks to Wine, not to mention virtualisation environments. It’s still the same application though.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

King Harold wrote:As if we didn't know it already: it's ridiculously huge in memory consumption as well as in disk space compared to any normal OS, while not offering that many extra features (not so many that it would explain over 4GB disk space or the 512MB RAM requirement).
What exactly is a "normal" OS? The only OS I dare run on that low-end hardware is Windows 2000. My old XP machine had 40GB disk space and 512MB RAM, and ran (in general) very badly. You need much more than that for anything approaching decent performance. :\

I'm not sure where you're getting Vista's high memory usage statistics from, but I'm guessing that's parroting bloggers who look into Task Manager, see a small amount of free physical memory and assume that low free memory = memory hogging. On the contrary, free memory is wasted memory and Vista caches as much as it can into RAM. The result is 4MB free physical memory on this machine (out of 2GB) but lightning fast use.
Well it also proves that Microsoft is not totally evil..
Bah, all big companies are evil. :)

Yes, a free Vista install is ~7GB. With storage being so cheap these days I don't think that's worth getting your knickers in a twist over, though, to be honest. Frankly, it's worth that to not have to use XP any more. :)
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

I can't read this entire post and not jump in somewhere. I have serious issues operating system wise as a programmer (now, at least) of PC games. The industry revolves around MS, some people detest MS for being popular and thus use Macs to prove they can, and everyone secretly knows linux is probably better but is scared to even try it. What results is a huge mess of company conflicts and not a lot of progress on any one OS, mainly because companies are too busy it seems trying to support all of them at once.

I would normally agree with you ben, and say that we should all switch to Vista, but my experience with Vista has been less than great. I much prefer XP at the moment, because that's been my most stable operating system, and I'm most comfortable. Aside from the missing "Parent Directory" button in Vista, I'd be all to happy to make the change if it weren't for the fact that trying to get my particular Vista setup to do anything media rich is like pulling teeth. It just doesn't go anywhere.

Now I'm not bashing linux here, but I personally have never managed to get anything up running on linux with 3D of any kind. I'm sure it's possible, I've just never had the patience to do it.

I've used many word processors in my day, tried out the features, grown old waiting for Open Office to finish crashing for the 17th time, and decided that (for once) MicroSoft seems to have known what they were doing with the Office Suite. In general, Office is the most stable thing they release, and it far outperforms the competition in terms of it. Operating systems, however, do not appear to be their strong suit.

I would be typing this from XP, but I'm stuck waiting for a recovery disk to come from HP (I personally hate that company) so I can repair my XP partition, as a Virus has attacked it and left it unable to start any processes at all. (they crash all over and make BSoD soup.) Alas, I am stuck in Vista for the time being, mainly until I can figure out where all of my personal files are, back them up, and wipe my entire machine so I can start fresh. Gee... windows is great...

OK, I think I'm through ranting now.

-thegamefreak0134

PS: I know I'm probably wrong in a lot of places, this is purely my opinion and nothing else is guaranteed. <(^_^)>
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

benryves wrote:What exactly is a "normal" OS? The only OS I dare run on that low-end hardware is Windows 2000. My old XP machine had 40GB disk space and 512MB RAM, and ran (in general) very badly. You need much more than that for anything approaching decent performance. :\
No, that’s perfectly enough for XP as long as you’re not a developer or a power gamer. I had a quite similar setup for years, and I never had performance issues with XP (on the other hand, .NET stuff was ridiculously slow). Of course I never ran VS2005 on it. ;)