What programming language do you dream most in?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

C
31%
C++
6%
C#
No votes
Java
13%
z80 Asm
25%
x86/64 Asm
No votes
other
25%

Total votes: 16

King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Actually any dream with a substantial amount of programming code in it counts, not just dreams entirely in code (that doesn't happen too often to me anyway)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Yeah i sometimes dream about z80 :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

if you dream in programming code you have obviously a serious problem. get out of the house more
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I can't say I've ever had a dream about programming, myself.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

kv83 wrote:if you dream in programming code you have obviously a serious problem. get out of the house more
It's not bad enough yet that I dream entirely in code ;)
Is it not normal to dream about the things you did in the previous day? Or about your work and hobby?
I thought I've seen something on Discovery Channel about it..

Ah well, dreaming code is sometimes handy, 2 days ago I found out a pretty bad mistake in some of my code that way (accidentally typed a wrong number as array index causing the texture mapping of the midpoint vertices to be wrong, for some reason I kept overlooking it)

Some day you will probably dream some code too :) (considering the number of days you are likely to live the chance it pretty high)
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

Sometimes I dream about making very cool games (the kinda dreams that give you a boost to get that sloppy thing of yours running ;))
But mine mainly go about programming on a GBA or NDS (that gotta be awesome!), ignoring the fact that it most likely is much harder than z80.

Then I dream about fantastic and huge RPGs and such... ya know, the impossible. Tough currently I'm very interested in color and pixel manipulations (wich are 'kinda' hard with monochrome and a 6MHz machine :P)
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

King Harold wrote:Some day you will probably dream some code too :) (considering the number of days you are likely to live the chance it pretty high)
I'll confess that if I have a knotty problem to solve, the idea for the algorithm will usually not come when I'm sitting behind a computer screen but - more often than not - in the shower, dozing in bed or doing any other thing that requires that I switch off my concentration for a bit.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I do not dream per say, but I have thoughts of Java and z80 asm/basic. I wish to pursue C though...
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

@benryves: Exactly! Though it doesn't work if you intentionally do something different...
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I hate it when you're just about to nod off to sleep and you think of something you did wrong or solved the problem so you have to get back out of bed again and code before you forget :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

benryves wrote:
King Harold wrote:Some day you will probably dream some code too :) (considering the number of days you are likely to live the chance it pretty high)
I'll confess that if I have a knotty problem to solve, the idea for the algorithm will usually not come when I'm sitting behind a computer screen but - more often than not - in the shower, dozing in bed or doing any other thing that requires that I switch off my concentration for a bit.
Yep, that happens to me too. Work is another place that happens- I spend a fair bit of time at my job doing work that is easy but time consuming, which allows me to not pay much attention to it and think about other things. I'll also come up with just the perfect melody to get whatever song I'm working on really moving, but I'll forget that by the time I am home and pick up my guitar. At least I usually remember the code I think of.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Can't say I've ever dreamt of anything even remotely associated with programming.

But how do you dream IN code? Scrolling matrix font style?
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes I dream only code, pages and pages long, usually it doesn't even do/mean anything, it's just there..
Kinda weird yes I know. It's usually C, although I program in z80 asm more, also strange..
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Absolutely none. And why would I? :?
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
magicdanw

Post by magicdanw »

I once had a dream in which Rube from the TV show Dead Like Me was teaching a class. I and the other characters from DLM were in the class. The class was about how, since (according to Rube in the dream) the government mostly used computers based on z80 cpus, and z80s have poor security features, it was very easy to hack the government in assembly code.

I've never had dreams where I solve code problems. But once I woke up in the middle of the night, said (I forget if it was out loud or in my head) the solution to a computer problem (the pc wouldn't boot up after installing linux), and went back to sleep. I woke up the next morning, tried my solution, and it worked! :D

In the opposite direction, I figured out how to run subprograms on the calculator that were archived after staying awake for 36 hours. I forget why I was awake that long, I guess I just never got tired :D. There was no conscious thought process, it just came to me. I suspect that the human mind works out problems subconsciously, and the solution can come to you whether you are awake or asleep. You just need to give the subconscious time to think, which sleeping/36-hour-boredom helps.