Trouble moving (overwrite) a file (weird isn't it?)

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

I haven't tried it on my laptop I've seen it work on at least a dozen laptops at school and friends' places.

Vista's excuse in this case is the user or hardware compatibility. If you don't even know which release you tried then you probably didn't even really try seriously which is no way to judge an OS. Your experience is moot unless you know why it did what it did.

Vista does not generally use more than a percentage here and there running idle on a PC with the minimum specifications.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Why would I remember exactly what OS I tried a year ago?
I think it was the second beta if that helps you
After testing it very briefly (say, booted it 3 times on purpose) I decided not to use it because it was terribly annoyingly slow and laggy, and a few months ago I finally got around to removing Vista completely (it took some effort to remove to dual-boot)
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

hehe you deleted vista? You do know that from now on you're registered in microsofts database "microsoft haters" do you, so prepare for bulk mail and treatnings. :mrgreen:

EDIT: hmmm, I'm not so sure if I spelled treatnings correctly :D. Think it should be treathnings :)
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

lol well it can't be that bad can it, and I still have 1 bought XP (it came with this comp.. otherwise I wouldn't have had it)

Vista doesn't want to be deleted, you can't just select it all and delete, and you can't overwrite the boot loader with XP's by just telling XP to do so..
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

hop wrote:So that's why the minimum requirements are 800mhz and 512mb ram.
Give me a source link that had better start with http://*.apple.com or you're just trolling.
ImageImage
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

The developer pre-release comes with a readme file that says this. It may not be official for the final release but they're not going to double performance and make features like real-time reflection, realtime movie thumbnail rendering, and spaces all at the same time fluent at that clockspeed in a couple of months.

I say you come up with some technical insight for how these features could possibly run fluently while working with the OS on a 400mhz G4 or you're just trolling.

I'll trust technical insight for which I've given several reasons and insight from people who've tried the developer release which has requirements included and have reported on it's features and performance over your or CDI's claims which so far have only been backed by.. well absolutely nothing.

It may run but as said you can run XP on a 15MHz system if you really want to, but that doesn't make it very practical.

Also I still have Vista's bootmenu, lulz. First grub, then vista, then xp. I'll probably try hardware graphics rendering on the latest vmware build and if it's satisfactory switch to ubuntu with vista and xp sp2 in a vm (yay seamlessrdp) completely.
Last edited by hop on Wed 22 Aug, 2007 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoostinOnline

Post by JoostinOnline »

I would like to see you run Vista on a 400MHz P3 with 256MB ram [ and yes, WITH aero ]
Not sure why you would want to run vista anyway. It sucks just as much as OS X :lol: .
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Yesterday evening a I talked with a friend (even I have some) who to his great dislike is stuck to vista because his parents use the computer as well. Guess what, it turned out that Vista has the filehandle problem as well! And Unlocker doesn't even work on Vista (I told him to try it).
Not sure why you would want to run vista anyway. It sucks just as much as OS X
2nd
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

King Harold wrote:I think it was the second beta if that helps you
Hm, you're complaining about a final product based on the quality of its beta? :roll:

Anyhow, as I mentioned earlier, use Process Explorer. Search for the file handle and nuke it. Works in Vista. Thus far I've only had problems with a 3rd-party thumbnailing app causing problems. Explorer has been much more reliable to me (no more of XP's impossible-to-delete folder bug, for one).
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Considering the extremely poor quality of said beta, yes.
Even if the final product would be twice as good, it would still be bad.
Is the final product really that much better than the second beta? And what of the number of results for http://www.google.com/search?q=vista+broken+promises ? nearly 1,2 Mil..
Even moving normally-sized files was slow.

Btw, that friend who is stuck with vista complains just as much about it - just not here because he's not a MC member.. yet
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

The initial release wasn't any better but some things have been fixed by now. Still crap though.