So, I'm wondering what to do with Aura...

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

dysfunction
Calc Master

So, I'm wondering what to do with Aura...

Post by dysfunction »

I've lately come to the realization that Aura is simply far too large a project for a single person, what with all the coding, map design, and art that needs doing. The art alone would probably need more than one person, or at least one very very talented person with a lot of free time. My skill at art on the scale of the 83+ doesn't really translate too well to high-res, high-color sprites for PC, since how I get my results with calc sprites- trial-and-error pixel-by-pixel manipulation- is way too time-consuming at that level.
I'd love to get a team together to work on this, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. I'd say ideally, I would have one or two coders besides me, a map designer, and two or three artists, if not more. I have gotten as far as a simple overworld engine and the bare rudiments of a battle system (the overworld engine is more advanced than what I had on calc, but the battle engine isn't even close to as complete) in Gamemaker. Having a team to work on it with me in GM would be great, since I could still take a very active role in the actual coding, but making it in 3d in a real language would be great as well, though I wouldn't be able to take as active a role in the programming. But without much to show at the moment, I don't know how to convince anyone this project is worth undertaking.
For over two years I have contributed every one of my best ideas to this game. I think about it on the bus on my way to school, I daydream about it, I even dream about it. It is basically fleshed out, completely, in my head. I have the plot all planned out, the characters, the gameplay style, the weapons, the general locations of stuff on the worldmaps, the bosses, a lot of the various puzzles and sidequests. And I truly believe that with a good development team, this game would be literally mind-blowing, not only for its novelty of play and entertainment value, but for the sheer depth of the universe I have created just for it. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I absolutely believe this could end up being one of the greatest video games of all time. I will absolutely not see it die, but at the moment I have no idea how to progress.

So, sorry for that rant, but does anyone have any ideas or advice for me? Anyone willing to join a team as an artist or coder, or know someone who would be, or know where I can find people who would be?

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

1) I think you shouldn't give up on it yet, keep going, try to put a team together, I'm sure you can do it.

2) By what I've heard and seen, this will be an awesome game, but I doubt it has the potential to become one of the greatest video games of all time, ESPECIALLY if you make it in Gamemaker. Nobody'll even want to play it, there's no real "market" for this sort of games. If it would be made in a real language with 3D-graphics, it could be, but I think that would be a MASSIVE project, needing a REAL game development team, like in those game studios.

3) I'll give you any help I can. I don't have any experience coding in Gamemaker though, and I suck at pixel graphics.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Bleh, game maker is a shortcut, like EZAsm or Bas2Asm. If you're going to make something, make it well.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

What is Aura
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

hop: http://kvince83.tengun.net/maxboard/viewtopic.php?t=110 -> The original thread of the original Aura project.
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

If you want to make some of it yourself in 2D without gamemaker, I suggest giving hge a try. It's very flexible, simple, and powerful. I've never tried this gamemaker stuff, but it appeared to be a little limiting at first glance.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

I don't think you should give up as well.

I duno who could do the artwork and has free time to do it.

And i duno much about coding on the computer.
Image Image Image
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I have no intention of giving up. cryzrbl: I'll try hge. Gamemaker is powerful enough for my needs though, actually.

Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: So, I'm wondering what to do with Aura...

Post by Patori »

dysfunction wrote:I've lately come to the realization that Aura is simply far too large a project for a single person, what with all the coding, map design, and art that needs doing. The art alone would probably need more than one person, or at least one very very talented person with a lot of free time. My skill at art on the scale of the 83+ doesn't really translate too well to high-res, high-color sprites for PC, since how I get my results with calc sprites- trial-and-error pixel-by-pixel manipulation- is way too time-consuming at that level.
I'd love to get a team together to work on this, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. I'd say ideally, I would have one or two coders besides me, a map designer, and two or three artists, if not more. I have gotten as far as a simple overworld engine and the bare rudiments of a battle system (the overworld engine is more advanced than what I had on calc, but the battle engine isn't even close to as complete) in Gamemaker. Having a team to work on it with me in GM would be great, since I could still take a very active role in the actual coding, but making it in 3d in a real language would be great as well, though I wouldn't be able to take as active a role in the programming. But without much to show at the moment, I don't know how to convince anyone this project is worth undertaking.
For over two years I have contributed every one of my best ideas to this game. I think about it on the bus on my way to school, I daydream about it, I even dream about it. It is basically fleshed out, completely, in my head. I have the plot all planned out, the characters, the gameplay style, the weapons, the general locations of stuff on the worldmaps, the bosses, a lot of the various puzzles and sidequests. And I truly believe that with a good development team, this game would be literally mind-blowing, not only for its novelty of play and entertainment value, but for the sheer depth of the universe I have created just for it. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I absolutely believe this could end up being one of the greatest video games of all time. I will absolutely not see it die, but at the moment I have no idea how to progress.

So, sorry for that rant, but does anyone have any ideas or advice for me? Anyone willing to join a team as an artist or coder, or know someone who would be, or know where I can find people who would be?
Hmm... about a year ago, we were about to team up on this. I'm still up for it.
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I am as well, Pat, but I was under the impression your free time had gone out the window. Weren't you getting married or something?

If you still wanted to do an 83+ app version I'm up for that, and I could handle all the art for that myself.

Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Hey I might help out too if the art's already ready!

I wish you tons of luck man.
Image Image Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

dysfunction wrote:If you still wanted to do an 83+ app version I'm up for that, and I could handle all the art for that myself.
That would win my heart the most, but anything will do :P.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

George: He WAS getting married, but it went awfully wrong ...
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Actually, I'm not sure I could do all the art for an 83+ version either, not and have the amount of variety I want.

the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Well, I'm sure it's easier to do an 83+ version and get someone to help with art than try to take on a pc project with a whole team.