Share your desktops

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

blueskies wrote:cool background and icons demon. what's your distro?
Judging by the presence of Iceweasel it must be Debian.
Demon

Post by Demon »

"Python has dynamic typing, and dynamic binding, which means that not only does it make a great secretary, it is also pretty damn kinky." --Henry the Adequate

<My Artwork>
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

Sweet 8)
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

haha, nice!
waeV

Post by waeV »

I also have XP, but Linux is cooler:

http://www.ubuntu.com
http://www.compiz-fusion.org/
Last edited by waeV on Sun 11 May, 2008 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Demon

Post by Demon »

O SHI--!

That looks freakin' awesome.
Now I miss my flaming windows. :cry: :P
And my flaming Windows, too. :twisted:
"Python has dynamic typing, and dynamic binding, which means that not only does it make a great secretary, it is also pretty damn kinky." --Henry the Adequate

<My Artwork>
waeV

Post by waeV »

Yeah, the cube is one of my favorites.

The only problem I have with Ubuntu linux right now is it uses Firefox beta 3 with is slow, buggy, and tends to crash. Firefox 2 is WAAY better.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I still do not understand why one would need the cube...
waeV

Post by waeV »

Well you can have homework on one desktop, and forums open in the other!

It's actially really useful for following tutorials and stuff, because you can just Ctrl + Alt + left / right back and forth between the guide and whatever you're doing without having to minimize and maximize, among other things.

It doesn't have to be a cube either. I did this a while ago... :roll:
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

that is just scary..
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

All that compiz-fusion desktop eye candy stuff is fun for like 5 seconds (for me at least). I found that it just slowed both me and my computer down, so I took it all off. One thing I did install though, to be completely off topic, was GnomeDo. Best utility I've found for linux in a long time. :D
waeV

Post by waeV »

For me at least, compiz fusion on linux runs faster than XP does after 8 months without a reinstall.

But I do have a newer PC that can handle those graphics.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

The default install doesn't feature the cube, but four workspaces next to each other, with an Apple-like switcher. I've arranged them to be in a square of two by two workspaces, which makes it look like an Apple even more. Mind you; I'm not really an Apple fan, but they've got a few things right about productivity.

And wobbly windows are just too much fun to turn off :) In fact it annoys me now to work with static windows. Like you have to work with stone tablets when you're used to paper ;)

Also, the fancy effects like flaming windows are all set to something useful by default, like a proper 2D accelerated minimize/maximize. It all "feels" much more natural.

What I'm trying to say is that it's not just "fun for 5 seconds" when you're not trying to show off the most crazy effects, but instead use the right effects in the right places to enhance your productivity.
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Recently I was forced to install fluxbox on a Linux box, becuase it’s a bit old to handle all the shiny fancy desktop environments (even Xfce). Well, I’m quite amazed. :D The whole thing gives you nothing more than a bunch of workspaces, two menus and of course the usual window decorations, and everything can be completely customised (keypresses and mouse actions can be tied to arbitrary actions, menus and workspaces can be tweaked to your taste, and of course theming is supported too). And response times are practically zero even on that old piece of junk. :) That’s pure productivity for me.
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

I've played around with and used the desktop effects for a while, obviously more than 5 seconds. And my pc can handle them just fine, I just don't really enjoy them. If they could work perfectly, without minor tearing or my firefox decorator turning transparent randomly (probably my main annoyance w/ the whole c-f deal). The one I did like, and do miss, was min/max and close/open of windows did this cool fade/bend thing, where it looked like it was either coming out of or going into the screen.. that was my favorite.

oh, and wobbly windows are SOOO annoying, but transparent windows during movement are pretty cool (and allow you to peek behind at something).