Ipod Linux...

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Ipod Linux...

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Im sure most of you have heard about the Ipod Linux project. I recently joined their Dev team and I so im helping port the kernel to the most recent ipod models.

EDIT:

It looks like Apple has released a new series of Ipod. Since the ipod photo is no more, I think I will sway my efforts to porting the kernel to the newer generation. Freeipods.com has updated their products, so I think I'll go with them. Here is my refferal link. Thanks again. :)
Last edited by lloydkirk1989 on Thu 13 Oct, 2005 12:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Erm, i remember this free ipod business going around earlier this year. Im not sure if you can actually get one or if its just a scam. Either way, good luck ... and you never mentioned anything about a twin sister?!
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Re: Ipod Linux...

Post by koolmansam375 »

lloydkirk1989 wrote:Im sure most of you have heard about the Ipod Linux project. I recently joined their Dev team and I so im helping port the kernel to the most recent ipod models, in particularly the ipod photo.
Wow! you learned that much C/C++ that fast!

Pongwars shall live!

blog is down atm. :-(
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

0.0 I remember trying to join the PSP Linux project...
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Billy Gates should be panicking right now :lol: sorry it's not Windoze that's everywhere... it's LINUX :roll:
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

tr1p1ea wrote:Erm, i remember this free ipod business going around earlier this year. Im not sure if you can actually get one or if its just a scam. Either way, good luck ... and you never mentioned anything about a twin sister?!
Freeipods.com has been around for a while and it is legitimate. I personaly know several people who have gotten ipods from freeipods.com and other freepay.com sites sponsored by Gratis Internet.
Wow! you learned that much C/C++ that fast!
Sure, 3 months was plenty of time. Its pretty cool being able to program in C for your ipod. An SDL port is almost finished too. 8)
Last edited by lloydkirk1989 on Thu 13 Oct, 2005 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

so if my friend referred me to the free ipods thing, will i also get a free ipod, and do i have to be 18 or older to be referred?
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Most likely 18 or older... but honestly who is honest on the age eligibility questions? It's more like you need to be 18 because of the credit card stuff.. I think
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

lecks wrote:so if my friend referred me to the free ipods thing, will i also get a free ipod, and do i have to be 18 or older to be referred?
Yeah, if you complete an offer and get 5 other people to do the same. There probably is an 18 and over requirement, though I don't recall ever being asked about my age. Im 16 and I have a credit card, so its not a problem. There are credit cards for minors just to let you know. Visa Buxx is what I have.
koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Post by koolmansam375 »

Sure, 3 months was plenty of time. Its pretty cool being able to program in C for your ipod. An SDL port is almost finished too.
Nice! 3 months! Ive been looking for some good ANSI/ISO C references to learn from. Coelurus is a big help too ;-) !

One thing i dont understand however is how you went from this
Lloykirks UTI Blog wrote:My old paid host was on linux,but it was slow and unstable. I've never understood what was so great about Linux. Its probably one of the most non user friendly OS's out there besides Unix.
to porting Linux to the iPod......puzzling..... care to enlighten?

Pongwars shall live!

blog is down atm. :-(
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

koolmansam375 wrote:
Sure, 3 months was plenty of time. Its pretty cool being able to program in C for your ipod. An SDL port is almost finished too.
Nice! 3 months! Ive been looking for some good ANSI/ISO C references to learn from. Coelurus is a big help too ;-) !

One thing i dont understand however is how you went from this
Lloykirks UTI Blog wrote:My old paid host was on linux,but it was slow and unstable. I've never understood what was so great about Linux. Its probably one of the most non user friendly OS's out there besides Unix.
to porting Linux to the iPod......puzzling..... care to enlighten?
I didn't know anyone was still going to that site... :P
That was three months ago and at that time me and the Penguin were having relational problems. *couldn't get slackware to install* Im using linux on two of my computers as of now(one with ubuntu and one with slack). So my oppinion has changed. Ipod linux added alot of feature to the ipod which wasn't found in the default OS. Secondly, there realy isn't away to develop apps for the ipod default OS.* no doccumentation*. It just happens that ipod linux is the most advanced OS available for the ipod. You don't have to be a linux enthusiast to be realize that...