Desolate 2?

Moderator: tr1p1ea

the_unknown_one
Calc Master

lol

Post by the_unknown_one »

Why would you freak out? I would rejoice... I mean, i know its virtually impossible, but it WOULD be cool :lol: And i cant give $ 100 (= +/- € 80) either, i'm greedy & broke :lol:
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Imagine the possibilities if we could get farb rausch or some similar group to work on the ti-83+.. that'd be insanely awesome :twisted:
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

DarkAuron wrote:Imagine the possibilities if we could get farb rausch or some similar group to work on the ti-83+.. that'd be insanely awesome :twisted:
Yeah, or groups like maxcoderz... oh wait... we ARE working on the ti-83+ :wink:
RedNifre

User Interface

Post by RedNifre »

The game has a nice story, good gameplay and impressive graphics. But I didn't like the interface!
Here are some suggestions how it might be implemented in Desolate 2:

1. Entering door codes is very complicated in Desolate 1. You have to press left and right to move a virtual finger over a virtual keypad. Didn't you notice, that there's a REAL number pad on your TI83? :wink:
Serious, it would be a lot more comfortable if you could enter the codes on a real key pad.

2. In Desolate 1 you have 4 functions: search, close pop-ups, shoot and open inventory. But they don't have one button each. Instead XTOn changes the function of 2nd. Why not using 2nd for search and XTOn for shoot?
If you want to keep the nice feature that pressing a direction moves the character in search mode, while it only turns it in shoot mode: You could change it so that as long as enemies are alive in the current room the character turns and when the room is save, pressing a direction directly moves the character.

My suggestion concerning the inventory might be a little strange: If you arranged the inventory items in a matrix of 5*6 you could access them by pressing a button in the key reagion of MATH to CLEAR to + to STO->.
Example:
Your inventory looks like this:

Code: Select all

[Cardreader][1][2]   [3][4]
[5]         [6][Drill]
Pressing MATH uses the Cardreader.
Pressing COS uses the Drill.
Pressing X^-1 uses Datacadridge 5....

It took some contrast adjustments until Desolate looked good on my calc. Could you implement ingame contrast change? Like + for brighter and - for darker?[/code]
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Hey,

welcome to the board. I am responding to your suggestions, but might be wrong. here we go

your suggestions for the keys were not possible in the engine of tr1p, because checking more buttons would be a) taking up more space and b) be slower. I guess Desolate 2 will use a new written engine, since tr1p made a lot of exp. in this project.

contrast adjustment is not really neccesary imho. What would be cool is an in-game change of the interupt frequency.
RedNifre

Post by RedNifre »

Thank you for the welcome!

(Before you read this: Keep in mind that I have nearly no clue about asm coding. What I say about it might be completely wrong):
I understand the problem that it takes up more space to check more buttons, but I am not sure about the speed. I think that a slow responding real number pad is faster to use than a fast responding virtual number pad. And those extra keys can not be checked when they are not needed.w
leofox
Calc Master

Re: User Interface

Post by leofox »

RedNifre wrote:1. Entering door codes is very complicated in Desolate 1. You have to press left and right to move a virtual finger over a virtual keypad. Didn't you notice, that there's a REAL number pad on your TI83? :wink:
Serious, it would be a lot more comfortable if you could enter the codes on a real key pad.
I agree, i totally freaked out because i had to enter the codes 'manually' all the time. Because the game reacted a bit slow, i always pushed a button twice, or filled in the wrong number... I wouldn't mind if it'd be slow, i just want to use the numpad...
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

OMG I know! That irritated me greatly. I always had to enter the codes at least twice before I got the right one. >_<
bananas... o.o
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

lol guys its not such a huge problem you know...But I agree with the idea of "start checking th keypreesses on the door part " :lol:
Life is getting better.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Suggestions noted :).

Although i never really had a problem with the door codes, lots of people did. I dont think there will even be door codes in the sequel ... o_o.

Although a sequel is in fact planned, it wont happen for a long time. I guess this can be a brainstorming thread :).

My coding has been kind of slow recently, and now that my machine is kind of out of action ... its ever worse. Ill get back to coding asap, i have another project im working on that i have decided to start over with (well for the most part).

And welcome to the boards RedNifre :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

Since this is a brain storm thread:
-dark areas where you can only see with a flash light that lights only part of the screen
-Intelligent but slower enemies that can follow you into other screens
-more guns with consumable clips and a melee weapon (maybe with weapon upgrades like RE4 had...that would be cool)
-block puzles
-make the text appear all at once
-specific save points
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well i originally had plans for block puzzles and other puzzlkes where you needed to shoot things in certain combinations to get past ... as well as covering up holes in the floor etc.

I also wanted to implement a feature which allowed to go skip the text scrolling letter by letter ... but i never got around to it.

Hopefully if the sequel eventuates, such things can be included :).
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

and up above, about the monster's...I was meaning that enemies would like dodge and intelligently atack instead of quikly bounce around
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

Hmm...I know you have been busy with xlib, but I do hope we see a desolate 2 in the future. Some more suggestions
-have scrolling maps
-have npcs
-have terain like rocks and dirt and such
-make it a flash app
-give it a level editor
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well, if there is to a be a sequel you can rest assured that most of those features will be included :).