Fix to (hopefully) make this forum active again

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

i would rather put a link to my own site in the stuff i make really, sorry ;)

but I wonder if some kind of webring would work? There is alerady the TI-Freakware webring
ImageImageImageImage
JoostinOnline

Post by JoostinOnline »

jimmothy wrote:ya i got here through desolate where it says maxcoderz.com or w/e i figgured it was juust a mistake that it wasnt com/net. i assume there will be alot of people who wouldnt check other net extensions, so i too feel alot of new members are being detered by the changed addresses before they even get here.
I haven't been here very long for that exact reason. When I first started programming about a year ago, I started looking at all the calculator sites. MaxCoderz intrested me b/c of all the cool programs, but whenever I found a link, it would say the site could not be found. Eventually I gave up deciding that it had come to the same end as calc.org did. Only recently did I decide to click on a link to your site, and it brought up your website! Not until now had I relized that I was just clicking on dead links.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

I generally include my Omnimaga link in anything i release, even if its a vid on youtube, so people know the source and can come to download more stuff or get help. Even my staff does it, at least, the ones who doesn't alerady own their own website (those should generally link to their own site)
ImageImageImageImage
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Hey guys just checking in here...I have no idea of how active the general TI83/84 community is at the moment but isn't the cause of inactivity of this forum a decline in interest in these types of calculators?

Ofcourse promotion of this forum on other websites is a really good thing so if you have the chance then do it!
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

At least on my old school, the TI 83+ and 84+ were the only calculator types allowed..
But that is only 1 school, I don't know about the rest
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Yeah the 83+/84+ series calcs are all thats allowed in schools here too. I think its mainly a lack of interest in people as far as programming is concerned. Particularly z80 ASM it seems.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

True, altough last year on Omnimaga half of the staff tried to move to ASM and some succeeded, and with all the BASIC tools around lot of people are programming hybrid now.

But I'm still sure Nintendo DS, PSP, GP2x and PC developpement being more and more easier plays a big role into this.

On another hand I don't think it's gonna go die anytime soon. If it have to die (which is less likely to happen consisdeing lot of new people joins all the time), give it at least 5 or 6 years.

There's also the fact that lot of the games people would want to program are alerady done now.
ImageImageImageImage
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

DJ Omnimaga wrote:There's also the fact that lot of the games people would want to program are alerady done now.
Maybe that's why OS's are popping up everywhere :P
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

yeah, altough it was the same several years ago. See pongOs, DragonOs, CSX and that other OS and Pedrom. THose started back in 2003-2004 IIRC

The fact that the gap between ASM and BASIC difficulty and efficiency are way too huge can pose a problem too. Sure, now people have full of ASM libs to enhance their BASIC games, but it still doesn't help making the jump directly from BASIC to ASM, especially for people who only know BASIC as language and no PC programming language at all. There gotta be something in the middle, like this.
ImageImageImageImage
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Halifax' compiler? Somehow I suspect that the gap between C and BASIC is still a bit big..

And assembly isn't that hard, even I managed to learn it (well define 'learn', when do you know you've learned a language?)

( forgot a word :roll: )
Last edited by King Harold on Tue 18 Sep, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

I only know BASIC and it's the only language I programmed for 6 years. I've tried to learn C for 68k calcs, and i could manage to make a small (altough pointless) program with it, and it was quite easy to understand. However, i tried to learn assembly 3 times and I couldn't never get what all this stuff means, even after re-reading assembly in 28 days all the time and checking people source code.

I guess it depends of your point of view. Of course I know anyone who understand asm will say that it isn't that hard, because he managed to understand it, but not everyone have IQ of 200 or more like you asm programmers so I find this as elitist attitude
ImageImageImageImage
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Take into consideration that from this point of the year it is slow, until the end (for ticalcs POTY)...
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

DJ Omnimaga wrote:people have full of ASM libs
Ahh, so genuinely French Canadian! :mrgreen: Sorry, my inner language nerd woke up for a moment, don’t even pay attention. ;)
DJ Omnimaga wrote:I've tried to learn C for 68k calcs, and i could manage to make a small (altough pointless) program with it, and it was quite easy to understand. However, i tried to learn assembly 3 times and I couldn't never get what all this stuff means, even after re-reading assembly in 28 days all the time and checking people source code.
But C is already quite close to assembly. I just can’t imagine someone understanding one of them but not the other. :?
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

I guess it depends of your point of view. Of course I know anyone who understand asm will say that it isn't that hard, because he managed to understand it, but not everyone have IQ of 200 or more like you asm programmers so I find this as elitist attitude
Oh I see..
Well, C then :)
But if that's so easy, then why would people come here for C?
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

I kinda agree about the line that most of the games are already being made. It seems that every time I come up with a genuine idea that hasn't been made for the calc before, someone beats me to it or I find out that it was already made awhile ago (sometimes the games are even made on different sites and I don't notice them until I get curious one day). Finding out your idea isn't too original can sort of crush your mood to programming it.

Another fact that is to be taken into consideration is that most kids usually try to work hard in the beginning of the school year to get into a good habit of homework or studying (all I have been able to do with programming so far, cause I am really concentrated on doing well in school, is a bunch of math programs for shortcuts in my homework :)). I am sure that most programming will pick up again later in the year.

On a little side note with the languages, I have been trying to get into ASM, but I also always start to fail later in the tutorials when the coding gets more complicated. I would learn FastRPL, but the tutorials are in French, and the translators I have been using haven't been turning out good translations for me to understand (if anyone can help me with this, I would gladly appreciate it!). And with C, it can be just as bad as ASM sometimes when I look at it.
Main Projects:
Zombie Attack: 20%

Side Projects:
???-25%

Staff member of Hikaru Rakuen Programming.