Fix to (hopefully) make this forum active again

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DJ_O
Calc King

Fix to (hopefully) make this forum active again

Post by DJ_O »

Ok, i know this is summer, but I think something could be done to make MC more active again, besides more active staff.

Actually, lot of the members in the past got to the site from ticalc.org archives (FFTOM for example) and other sites that linked to MaxCoderz. They also stayed because of all the awesome programs on the front page, especially FFTOM and some of the projects here back then.

However, afterward, the site moved to maxcoderz.net, then both domain names went down and it moved to maxcoderz.org. Since lot of program readmes still shows www.maxcoderz.com or kingmastate.nl/maxcoderz , the newbies probably think the site no longer exists. Recently I saw an xLIB update and another game by tr1p1ea on ticalc.org (which looked awesome btw). But, the readme file doesn't EVEN link to maxcoderz website. Not EVEN the MaxCoderz 5 year anniversary program readme does!! Sometimes, people may download the game but not play it and visit the site to see if there's more games.

Now that it's said, when the site moved to MaxCoderz 4.0 (that mamboo page), why did all the stuff made before the forum hacking in late 2004 didn't got added to the front page (I mean, Final Fantasy TOM 1 and 2, Parasite EVE mercenary, Gemini 3D, Shattered oasis demos, Gundam wing, stardust, dark star, etc). Only the new programs did. And now it moved again to something we would call MaxCoderz 5.0 maybe and it doesn't have a download section anymore at all.

I know working on a website is hard, but this is just a suggestion to make it active again. I think the new programs released by MC staff should at least include the maxcoderz URL in their readme, this would make the site more known again.

just my 2 bananas
ImageImageImageImage
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

I agree completely.
If tr1p hadn't told me about MaxCoderz.org I wouldn't have found it.
Delnar_Ersike
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Delnar_Ersike »

I, too, agree. However, there is also the fact that most of the MaxCoderz staff aren't working on a project, and if they are then there hasn't been any news release of those projects outside the MaxCoderz site. Patori hasn't posted any progress news of Calc Wars in quite a long time, benryves isn't getting a lot of free time to finish Latenite, Brass, and EarlyMorning and also release them on ticalc.org, there hasn't been news about Loom for a very, very long time, Metroid is locked and dead (though a couple of staff still have it's source code *cough*tr1p1ea*cough*), benryves posted that he doesn't want to finish Nostromo anytime soon, tr1p is keeping silent about Smash Bros' progress, Tankies is in a worse state than Loom when it comes to progress, and xLib... well, xLib still isn't finished yet and still hasn't proved to be a complete replacement for Omnicalc (plus, iirc, the xlib readme does mention the MaxCoderz community). Most Staff Side Projects are stale (aka haven't had any progress news in quite a long time), and Desolate 2 is still mostly made up of ideas (if I were to quote tr1p).

To summarize: Not only does the MaxCoderz staff need to mention the MaxCoderz site in the readmes of their programs, but also need to work on and possibly finish their projects.
jimmothy

Post by jimmothy »

ya i got here through desolate where it says maxcoderz.com or w/e i figgured it was juust a mistake that it wasnt com/net. i assume there will be alot of people who wouldnt check other net extensions, so i too feel alot of new members are being detered by the changed addresses before they even get here.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

it's summer time though, which may be why some of the staff be inactive. See Omnimaga and UnitedTI, lot of projects here barely get any updates either. Since not much can be done about this, i think the adding of the mc url to readme to advertise it is a nice idea.
ImageImageImageImage
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

benryves isn't getting a lot of free time to finish Latenite, Brass, and EarlyMorning
Actually, EarlyMorning is my project. :)

Also note that this ain't our job. I'm quite busy with my own job, programming there already ~36 hours a week.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

there are 168 hours in a week though, even if you slept half of it you would have 48 hours left ((7*24)/2)-36 = 48 though you can't be programming all the time of course (you have to eat and travel to/from your job too)

This summer, I think I've programmed almost all the time (when I wasn't sleeping/eating/playing Overlord) that I was at home (I went on vacation to the Azores as well), I am aware that I didn't release anything though but usually my code is not fit for release

Not saying the staff has as much time as I do though, they probably have other stuff to do

But, that does not remove the need for fixing every broken MaxCoderz link
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

kh, if you think that i'm sitting all my time behind my pc, you got it wrong. i'm not 16 anymore!

* Girlfriend
* Fitness / Squash
* Work
* Relax time (like just hanging on the sofa)
* Time for friends/family
* etc.
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

Well, maybe you can add a note to the readme saying that if the above link is incorrect to search for maxcoderz with google

Anyway, I'm still working on Puzzle Action, but I have way less time then I imagined, and thus I'm still working on Blox :(, to make things worse or better (whatever you'd like to see it) I'm going to university this year, wich means that I won't have a lot of time to work on my game... But don't worry (if anyone cares...) I will finish it no matter what!
Last edited by driesguldolf on Mon 27 Aug, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

kv, I'm not 16 either, but (not in any order):
* Computer
* University
* Eat
* Sleep

When I was 16 it was more like:
* Computer
* School
(note the absence of 'sleep' and 'eat', they can both be done at school)

wow my priorities are way crazy..
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

king harold: if kv83 is busy, he's busy, I am myself busy sometimes (altough not as much as kv)
ImageImageImageImage
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

wow kv83, you have a lot of things to do, I can understand that after all that, there's little to no time left for programming... Not that that is too bad in your case :D

KH: okay, my list of things is a little bit larger than that :P
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Especially his etc will take time
But indeed, if he's busy then he is.. unfortunately (wouldn't it just be cool if he had loads of time and did loads of cool projects?)

Is it terribly illegal and against rules etc to put a link to MaxCoderz.org in everything you make so as to attract active members? Can only the MC staff do that?
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

You can advertise MC all you want, that would actually be a good thing :).

I hadnt noticed that i forgot the link in my readme's since i usually put it in the program itself and in the description on ticalc.org. Ill have to update things.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

King Harold: Haha I totally agree with you. During school I always sleep and do my homework in study halls, so that I can just come home and stay on the computer until I have to go back to school. Or I go out with friends on the weekends. Either way that is the best way to live!