Newbie Questions - Go here to get a game on your calc

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Newbie Questions - Go here to get a game on your calc

Post by kv83 »

Ok, seeing 5 topics in one night of the same subject, I thought this would make a good addition to the forum...

If you have a question or an answer (or both) which could help a newbie, please post in here! NO NEW TOPICS ABOUT NEWBIE QUESTIONS

Here we go.

1. Q: I am new to the calc world. How do I get a game on my calc?
Phew. I am in luck that there is a whole tutorial for this on ticalc! Here you go:
ticalc.org wrote:INTRODUCTION
Perhaps the most popular aspect of TI's graphing calculators is their easy programmability. The Internet is teeming with calculator programs and games that can be transferred to your calculator from your computer, but first you need a special cable and the proper software. Read on for step-by-step help with everything you need.

GETTING THE RIGHT CABLE
TI's graphing calculators come with short cables to link one calculator to another, but you must obtain a separate cable to connect your calculator to your computer. You can buy such a cable from Texas Instruments. You have two options, TI-Graph Link or TI Connect. Of if you'd like to save money and have the expertise, you can build your own homemade cable.

TI-Graph Link
For most users, the best choice is the TI-Graph Link, Texas Instruments' first official link cable. You will be able to use TI's supported software and be guaranteed that you will be able to transfer data to current and future TI calculators from your PC or Macintosh. For more information on this cable and a list of vendors who can ship you a TI-Graph Link, see Texas Instruments' TI-Graph Link page. TI also sells a "cable only" version of the Graph Link which is cheaper but includes instructions on downloading the required software from the Internet (instead of disks and manuals) and lacks adaptors for Macintosh and 9-pin PC serial ports.

TI Connect
TI Connect was supposed to be the successor of TI's original TI-Graph Link, and in many ways it is. It has a much faster transfer rate than TI-Graph, however it does not support the 82, 85, or the 86 for the Windows version. It is the first USB cable produced by TI. The TI Connectivity Kit comes with cable and computer software, both of which work with your computer, TI handheld, data collection technology and TI-InterActive! The software includes a Data Editor, Screen Capture, OS Downloader, Group Explorer, and the Device Explorer. Most calculators that TI sells today come with this cable and the software you need for all these features. TI Connect is by far a superior cable to TI-Graph Link, but TI Connect has often been disregarded because it is not supported by many emulator software which was developed before TI Connect had been.

Homemade Cables
The more adventurous (and thrifty) may prefer to build a link cable from parts or buy a pre-built homemade cable. Most of these cables are not compatible with the TI-Graph Link and require third-party software, but can suit the needs of most users. Unfortunately, there is no third-party Macintosh link software at this time; Mac users will need to buy an official TI-Graph Link or construct a Graph Link-compatible link cable. Please see the Link Cables area in our Hardware section for help making your own cable.

GETTING THE RIGHT SOFTWARE
While TI's linking software will support a TI-Graph Link under Windows or Macintosh with any TI graphing calculator, homemade link cables require homemade software for transferring data with your calculator. (The serial link is reported to work with TI's software in "black cable" mode, however.) Some of this third-party software supports multiple link cables and calculators, while others are designed specifically for one cable or calculator. Before choosing a homemade link, you should make sure appropriate linking software exists with support for your operating system and calculator.

No matter what cable you choose, we highly recommend you download TI's official Graph Link software for your calculator. Even if you can't use it to transfer data (for example, if you get a parallel cable), it's still useful for ungrouping calculator data files (more on that later) and viewing or editing BASIC programs on your computer.

To get a overview of all programs, go here:
http://www.ticalc.org/basics/linking/software.html

DOWNLOAD PROGRAMS
Once you have your cable and linking software correctly installed, you're ready to start building your collection of calculator programs. A good place to start is our File Archives section.

.ZIP Files

Most files you will download from our site end in ".ZIP". These files actually contain several individual files packaged together for easier downloading. You cannot send ZIP files directly to your calculator; you must first "unzip" them to get the files they contain, and then send those files to your calculator. If you don't already have an unzipper, try WinZip or ZipGenius (for Windows users) or StuffIt Expander (for MacOS users).

Inside ZIP files you'll find the following types of files, which are the actual calculator programs and data files.

Group Files

Typical filenames: file.73g, file.82g, file.83g, file.85g, file.86g, file.89g, file.92g, file.9xg, file.v2g

Group files are similar to ZIP files, but they contain only calculator data files (such as programs and formulas). Unlike ZIP files, group files can be sent to the calculator without being "ungrouped" first. If you want to get at the contents, however (one reason might be to open the program file and read the code), the easiest way to do this is using the TI-Graph Link software for Windows or MacOS. Once you have extracted your group file from the ZIP file you downloaded, open the TI-Graph Link software and choose Ungroup from the File menu. Find the group file on your system and the software will extract any program files and other data from inside.

Calculator Data Files

Typical filenames: file.89i, file.89p, file.89s, file.89z, etc.
(instead of '89' you will also see '73', '82', '83', '85', '86', and '92', corresponding to files for each calculator)

Once you've downloaded a file and unzipped it (if necessary), you'll have one or more of these files, which you will send to your calculator. Use your favorite linking software to transfer all of the necessary files to your calculator, then read below for help running your new programs.

BASIC Programs

Typical filenames: file.73p, file.82p, file.83p, file.85p, file.86p, file.89p, file.92p, file.9xp, file.v2p

Many of the programs in our archives are written in the calculator's built-in, BASIC-like language. After these programs are sent to your calculator, running them is as easy as accessing them from the PRGM menu or typing the program's name in the home screen.

Assembly Programs

Typical filenames: file.82p, file.83p, file.85s, file.86p, file.89z, file.92p, file.9xz, file.v2z

If you downloaded a program from an "asm" folder in our file archives, you downloaded what's called an assembly program. Unlike BASIC programs, which can be typed directly into the calculator, assembly programs are normally written on a computer and are more difficult to program, but run much faster on the calculator.

If you downloaded assembly programs for your TI-83, TI-83 Plus, TI-86, TI-89, TI-92 Plus, or Voyage 200, you probably will not have to do anything special to run these programs (follow the BASIC instructions above). These calculators have built-in assembly ability; that is, the calculator was made with running assembly programs in mind.

If you are trying to run an assembly program for your TI-82, TI-85, or TI-92, you will need an assembly "shell" first. Since these calculators weren't intended to support assembly programs, it's only possible by using a loophole which allows you to run the shell program, which in turn presents a menu to allow you to run other assembly programs on your calculator. Determine which shell your program requires, then download and send it to your calculator first before you can use other assembly programs.
It's also a good idea to read the included readme. In the most cases (especially all Maxcoderz games) there is a instruction included how to get the game on the calculator!

Don't ask questions if you didn't read the readme and the tutorial above!!!
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Damn fine idea kv83 :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

all those 5 posts were created by one person. That wasnt me :)
Life is getting better.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Re: Newbe Questions - Go here to get a game on your calc

Post by Andy_J »

kv83 wrote:Don't ask questions if you didn't read the readme and the tutorial above!!!
Or ..... what? Or you get banned? :P
ImageImage
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: Newbe Questions - Go here to get a game on your calc

Post by kv83 »

AndySoft wrote:
kv83 wrote:Don't ask questions if you didn't read the readme and the tutorial above!!!
Or ..... what? Or you get banned? :P
Or your topic will get lock, and we won't answer your question :)
artemis

:\

Post by artemis »

I'm a newbie at anything doing with calculators, and i just got a TI-84 Plus SE for my Trig and algebra 2 classes. I can't get any of the games to play on my calc. Many of them tell me I need to use TI-Grap-Link, but there isn't one for my calculator that I know of. (i've looked) I have TI Connect, but I don't understand how to do archived files. Only way I can figure to do it is download one file at a time, but then it doesn't work.

So, the only games I can download and use are stupid games with either no graphics, or something like tic-tac-toe, which I could make my self if I spent the time to learn how to program :x

Any/All help is much appr.

[edit]BTW, yes I did read that quoted post at the begging. More than once. :\
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Hit[2nd] then hit [+]. A menu should appear. Hit [2] [Enter]. There should be a list of programs. Hit enter to archive/unarchive a file. If there is a star next to the name then it is archived. Also, to play most games, you need ion or mirage os. They can both be downloaded on almost any TI calculator website, but I prefer ticalc.org. Ffollow the installation instructions for ion then run prgmA or download Mirage OS to your calculator and hit [Apps] and go to mirage os. A list of the games you have should appear (a folder instead of a list in mirageos) and use the arrows and enter keys to select a game. I recommend many games from many different authors, but my favorites are Desolate, Blockdude, Marc the Superkid (with legend of legaia battle system yeah!), mars patrol, fast tunnel, gemini, jezzball, mario, and the verdante forest. Get them. If you have anybmore problems, feel free to ask us here.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Is there a way to recover from a bad crash? Like is there a was to reset the os or something? This is what happened:
Ok this sucks, my calc just crashed badly. I was using the run archived program command and I did:

Code: Select all

real(10,2,0 ;removes all xtemp0XX programs
real(10,0,11
prgmXTEMP011
Well the problem was that the Ans wasn't updated with the program name. So after exucution it had a few dots on the home screen. So I backed up everything and then I did a full archive and ram reset. When I turned it back on it had garbage everywhere and the cursur was split into 4 (the blinking curser). Any thing I can do, I have all the batteries removed includeing the backup and I am going to let it stay like that for 23 hours? I did try just reinserting the batteries and it was even worse on the screen. This really sucks, because finals are coming up next week :x . Just wanted to let you know tr1p. about the crash, although it itsn't xlibs fault really :(.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I think there is something like removing a battery while holding On and Delete or some other combination of keys. Andy knows, I've seen him say it tomorrow.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

This is what the screen looks like:

but worse.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Yes, pressing on+del or something while inserting a battery should make it accept an OS transfer... That should do the trick.
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Timendus wrote:Yes, pressing on+del or something while inserting a battery should make it accept an OS transfer... That should do the trick.
So I do this then what, send it via ticonnect?
gangsta
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by gangsta »

exactly...but in that case, good luck!
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Well I resent the OS and it didn't do any good.
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

even though i havent had the situation that you are in, i have had similar problems. Try getting rid of the problem program, do a full calc reset, reinstall the os. its what i did, but im not sure it works all the time. if it doesnt, just send a troubleshoot file to texas instruments, then after they send you restart procedures, if they dont work, just reply the email back, and either they will send you more info to restart it, or ask for stuff to replace your calc.

Edit: maybe the problem was is that with xlib, your calc hadn't disabled it when you refreshed it, thus causing it to just corrupt the calc's memory
Main Projects:
Zombie Attack: 20%

Side Projects:
???-25%

Staff member of Hikaru Rakuen Programming.