Err... Hi?

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Err... Hi?

Post by BetaSword »

I'ma attempt to learn ASM. I have the 28 days guide, but does anyone know of anything else that would be helpful? I have discovered I have many hours to spare at night, and depending on the day, some at work. And a new laptop. So why not. Might as well try to learn something new.

*disappears once again into the shadows*
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

CoBB's guide is great. Good luck! :)
BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by BetaSword »

benryves wrote:CoBB's guide is great. Good luck! :)
Bookmark'd.

Hrmm. Maybe this'll actually lead somewhere

For once.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Yeah, I did the same thing. I tried the 28 days guide, but I just wasn't getting it. So, I tried Cobb's guide, and it seemed better than the 28 days one, at least for me. Good luck with it. :)

So, are you planning to use this to make some of your old projects? :D
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Oh, and SMS Power! host a number of Z80 documents that you might also find useful.
BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by BetaSword »

CompWiz wrote:So, are you planning to use this to make some of your old projects? :D
I can't (and won't) garuntee anything. If everything goes well and perfectly, and I am actually able to keep on track and keep any semblance of motivation for once, then yes, possibly. But I'm not going to make any promises. Already broke enough of those here. I think I'm the only MaxCoderz member that never actually released a finished product of any sort.

At the moment, I'm basically trying to do this for my own satisfaction, my own peace of mind. Even if I can just whip up something small and release it, it'll be something, and I'll have finally contributed to this community that I entered... What? 4? 5 years ago? Maybe more? Can't remember... It was before Hitoshi's first Final Fantasy game was finished, if I recall, back when there was still Alienhead Productions... Before they merged with MaxCoderz. Back when basic was still the big thing, and when basic coders didn't have the assembly help that they have now with xLib and Omnicalc and things like that. Oh, the good old days...

But yeah. Talk about reminiscing... Anyways... Yeah... I need to go back out on the work floor now. Cause I think my break is just about over...
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

BetaSword wrote:Back when basic was still the big thing
Back when some of you still thought Basic was the big thing ;)
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

BetaSword wrote:Back when basic was still the big thing, and when basic coders didn't have the assembly help that they have now with xLib and Omnicalc and things like that.
Isn't basic still a big thing then?
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

I'm not even going to try to comprehend that statement...
I think, therefore iMac
BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by BetaSword »

Err... Well, I'm going from my point of view. Back then, everyone was doing basic. But then again, I'm going mainly from a school standpoint, with people making their llittle DopeWars ripoffs and such forth. And back when Alienhead was still around. Alienhead was all basic... Psh, I didn't even know then that there was a way to make all those crazy ASM games. But times have changed. Both basic and ASM have changed greatly since then. Back then, if you'd asked someone about greyscale in a calc game, they'd have laughed. Or some other such thing. Not anymore. I mean, sure, the greyscale stuff isn't used very widely, but it's still possible now. And that's what matters. I think.

But yeah. Uhh... Less rambling, more learning for me.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Yeah, that's true. No one though that true music and sound could be played until Jime's RealSound came out. In the time frame you were talking about there were some asm games out, but certainly nothing near the variety available today. And there was "greyscale", in the sense of grey things flashing black and white quite noticably(like in lemmings83)
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

CompWiz wrote:Yeah, that's true. No one though that true music and sound could be played until Jime's RealSound came out.
PWM sound had existed for a long time beforehand. Jim e's routines offer a significant increase in quality, though. As in, it actually sounds like something now, not a scratchy mess. ;)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

There is a nice sticky in the Programming Help section which outlines some good sources for learning both basic and asm.

http://kvince83.tengun.net/maxboard/vie ... 70&start=0
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

good luck! If you have time, Then you will succeed. if you don't, then you will fail.
Life is getting better.