Software Not Made by TI, But Teachers Use.

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

kalan_vod
Calc King

Software Not Made by TI, But Teachers Use.

Post by kalan_vod »

Well I never thought that people would know much about ticalc.org (other than us cool people ^_^), but at my college they have VTI on all the math lab computers. I think it is cool and funny!
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

why don't you inform them about the far superior PindurTI? :mrgreen:

I wish the teachers at my school knew more about the calcs than math functions.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Well PTI is great and all, but they need a visual representation of a calc (though CoBB is working on that). That's just in the Lab though, as the classes have a projector type of camera called Elmo2? Idk, but they are hooked up to a projector on the ceiling and the computer, and of course it works as a t.v. also!
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

kalan_vod wrote:Well PTI is great and all, but they need a visual representation of a calc (though CoBB is working on that). That's just in the Lab though, as the classes have a projector type of camera called Elmo2? Idk, but they are hooked up to a projector on the ceiling and the computer, and of course it works as a t.v. also!
true, that keyboard is usefull, and being able to realistically display grayscale probably isn't high on their priority list.

In my school ti-connect is installed on some of the computers, but when you plug the cable in, it doesn't install the drivers because you're not an admin.

For showing the calc screen at my school, they have that see-through screen that plugs into a calc, and they put it on top of an overhead projector. I always wondered, what would happen if you ran one of the blue-screen programs while hooked up to that display screen. :twisted:
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

It would display a black screen :D. Yeah my highschool had that.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

kalan, do they have ROM images for VTI to use? If so, they're being very illegal unless a calculator is chained to the computer.
ImageImage
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

They have the ROMs in the VTI folder, I could've done anything to them if I wanted. And the thing is they are all like 1.12 for 83+ and what not. Maybe they have a deal with TI?
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

If they have that many actual calculators (which they probably do- check the chemistry lab) it isn't illegal. We do the same thing for unreal tournament 2004 in my computer club. We bought enough copies to be legal, installed it once and copied the image to all the machines.
bananas... o.o
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

kalan_vod wrote:They have the ROMs in the VTI folder, I could've done anything to them if I wanted. And the thing is they are all like 1.12 for 83+ and what not. Maybe they have a deal with TI?
Because VTI doesn't work with anything after 1.12....
Spengo wrote:If they have that many actual calculators (which they probably do- check the chemistry lab) it isn't illegal. We do the same thing for unreal tournament 2004 in my computer club. We bought enough copies to be legal, installed it once and copied the image to all the machines.
In all likelyhood, different departments would own them, so it's still illegal. kalan, I would tell your lab assistant to tell his higherups to consult a lawyer before TI comes around here and pokes over their way.
ImageImage
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

AndySoft wrote:In all likelyhood, different departments would own them, so it's still illegal. kalan, I would tell your lab assistant to tell his higherups to consult a lawyer before TI comes around here and pokes over their way.
I really doubt that TI is going to come and give them legal trouble. If the school owns as many calculators as they have emulators, then they really couldn't get into legal trouble, at least not easily. Even if TI found out about it, which I doubt they would, they probably wouldn't have much reason to go after the school legally.
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

Especially considering just about every school does that.
Image Image Image
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

That's what the last school to get busted said.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]