Ender's Game revived once more

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

dysfunction
Calc Master

Ender's Game revived once more

Post by dysfunction »

Well, I've shoved Aura aside a little (the map engine's done) so I figured I'd get back to work on my original project: Ender's Game. For any who don't remember, it's a turn-based strategy game, similar to Advance Wars and its ilk. However, this game has a twist: you're in space. Instead of commanding a unit to move from point A to point B, you control acceleration in multiple directions. The game actually simulates true zero-gee space battles. If you want to stop one of your units, it has to slow down first. So anyways, here's a screenshot of the latest work:

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

WOW, look awesome man! I think it's better in space without the grid and I like how the cursor changes when you select a bigger unit :shockedpuzzled:

I guess the HUD will go in the white areas?

I cant wait for this to be released :)
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Yeah, this thing looks great! Do the ships move yet?
bananas... o.o
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Yeah, the ships move based on their velocity when you end the turn. The HUD will eventually be in the white area, plus a side menu will roll out when you press Y= giving more detailed information on the type of ship selected, etc.

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow that is really fast! I like it!
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

yeah, awesome man! Looks pretty fast too! I like the idea of a scrolling out menu...aw man I cant wait! :D
The Revolution is here...
merthsoft
Extreme Poster

Post by merthsoft »

FINALY!!!! I remember a long time ago when you first announced this on TICalc.org's forum, and then on EPS, great work so far. :worship:
Shaun
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Too bad the parralax scrolling idea didnt worked, if only the sprite location on the sprite sheet in Omnicalc didnt have to be multiple of 8 :( , but it's still cool anyway :)
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
Drak Dragon
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: Ender's Game revived once more

Post by Drak Dragon »

dysfunction wrote:Well, I've shoved Aura aside a little (the map engine's done) so I figured I'd get back to work on my original project: Ender's Game. For any who don't remember, it's a turn-based strategy game, similar to Advance Wars and its ilk. However, this game has a twist: you're in space. Instead of commanding a unit to move from point A to point B, you control acceleration in multiple directions. The game actually simulates true zero-gee space battles. If you want to stop one of your units, it has to slow down first. So anyways, here's a screenshot of the latest work:

is this related to Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars.gba? That game was fucking pimp!
----
Drak
merthsoft
Extreme Poster

Post by merthsoft »

No, it's based off of the book, Enders Game by Orson Scott Card.
Shaun
Dragonwarrior333

Post by Dragonwarrior333 »

I think its awesome that people want to ceate game off of books so there is a story line to follow so you dont just have to make somthing up :D

But then someone who has never read the book might want to read it to find out more about the game or tie in some characters or events with the game!

So think that was a great idea (Even if it was an accident, which Im not saying it was) to create a game based on the book.
Heck if the game is aweosome (Which since it was Dys' game it will be) I might even read the book :o :o :o
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Ender's Game is my second favorite sci-fi book ever, and my third-favorite book of all (my other favorite books are The Lord of the Rings and Hyperion). The book is an incredible story, and I'd highly recommend it to you- it ight even be a good idea if you read up to the point where the game strts before playing, then read along as you go through the campaign mode. The basic plot of the books is about a young boy, Andrew "Ender" Wiggin, who is one of many supergenius children taken to an orbital Battle School to train to be future fleet commanders, as Earth has already been attacked twice by aliens and they are preparing for the next invasion.

Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

I think that Ender's Game is a great good book too- though some of the later Orson Scott Card books are kinda dumb *cough*homecoming*cough*. Ender's Game is definitely his best book. Actually, I have always wanted someone to make that game too- not the one that he plays while in training with the giant and stuff, the real time strategy one that's not really a game where he defeats the 'Buggers.' Since I see spaceships I'm assuming that's what this is. :D This game is going to be great! Good spaceship sprites btw. Also, if you like sci-fi, I recommend Asimov's Foundation books.
bananas... o.o
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I've read the whole foundation series, plus the Robots series, and any other Asimov I can get my hands on.And yes, you are correct in that this game is based on Ender's time on the simulators at Command School, but *ssh* don't spill the secret.

Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

dysfunction wrote:I've read the whole foundation series, plus the Robots series, and any other Asimov I can get my hands on.And yes, you are correct in that this game is based on Ender's time on the simulators at Command School, but *ssh* don't spill the secret.
so did I !
I wish Asimov would have finished the series....
Life is getting better.