[TI ASM] Controlling the link port on 83+

Got questions? Got answers? Go here for both.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Timendus
Calc King

[TI ASM] Controlling the link port on 83+

Post by Timendus »

Hello people,

I've never really given a damn about compatibility with 83+(SE)/84 calcs, since the good old Ti-83 pwnz them all anyway, but I'm afraid I kinda need it this time.. :(

I'm working with a few kids from Belgium who are making their own calculator robot, solar powered and the lot. They rock in hardware, but they didn't have any expertise about the calculator, so they e-mailed me, of course 8):wink:

Anyway, I wrote them their driver software, but it only works on my good old Ti-83, and not on their Ti-83+'s... Which kinda sucks for them...

To get to the point of all of this: I fear that the link port stuff is model dependant. Like I said; I never really gave a damn, so I didn't look into that a few years ago when I wrote my linkport tutorial and stuff. So does anybody know if this is true, and what the difference is exactely? Or are there any serious 83+ tutorials about linking by now? I haven't checked for a while :D

This works for Ti-83:

Code: Select all

ld a,$D1			; pull tip low
     out (0),a
loop:
     in a,(0)			; wait for ring to go low
     bit 3,a
     jp nz,loop
     ret

etc...
I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance!
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Protocol should be the same for all models.
But, I don't think bit 3 does anything for the 83+s.
BIt 0&1 are whats on the lines, and, I think, bit 4&5 are what you sent to port 0. the other bits I forget if they do any thing at all.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Hmm, according to a tutorial I just found you are right... That would comply with the testresults... I'll send my Belgian friends a new version, see if that works :wink:
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

By the way, if I get everything to work properly, I'm thinking about releasing an adapted version of the include file I made for this project. You could use it as an 83/83+ compatible library to send and receive bytes and to synchronize two devices. And if you ask me really nicely, maybe I'll throw in a routine for sending over blocks of data as well ;). Would anyone find such a library useful?
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

What I am more intrest in, is an more detailed description of the whole project? :P
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Yeah, I'll tell you the full story some time, but it's not entirely clear to me yet what the robot will look like in the end... :)

It's not easy to work on a project with people you've never met, and having to send over every shred of code you want tested, including a description of the tests you want, in the hope that they'll understand it all... :roll:
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

lol

Post by the_unknown_one »

What i'm interested in is info about the kids :D As i live in Belgium... Maybe i know them? LOL
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Do you know anyone from Leuven? This is their school:
http://www.vti-leuven.be/

And this is the competition they are building a robot for:
http://www.solarteam.be/solarolympics/
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

While I'm at it anyway... I'll slap in some more compatibility...

I've found information on the Ti-82, Ti-85 and Ti-86 link ports (the last two being identical :P), so I think including those shouldn't really be a problem. Although I don't own any of these calcs, so testing is gonna be a pain in the ass :D.

But does anybody know something about the link port on the Ti-73 or Ti-84? I know that the '73 shell neccessary to run asm programs in the first place is still under construction, but I like to be ahead of things :D. And I also know that people will probably prefer to use the USB link on '84 calcs (or isn't that possible from calc to calc..?), but I'd hate to leave it out ;).

I kinda expect the Ti-84 link port control to be identical to the Ti-83+'s... Who agrees with me..?
CalcKing

Post by CalcKing »

The I/O port is compatible with the 83+ port. I don't think anyone (other than TI) knows how to operate the USB port though...
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

We just need to figure out which BCalls to use. :)
ImageImage
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

lol

Post by the_unknown_one »

Yes i know people from Leuven, but i dont think i know them :p Thx for the info ;) And i hope ya can make the code work, and that they can get the robot work :D
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Thanks, so do I ;)
CalcKing wrote:I don't think anyone (other than TI) knows how to operate the USB port though...
Hmm, I have a feeling that's going to be a matter of time :D

I'm starting to think that 73 & 82, 83+ & 84, and 85 & 86 have compatible link port control. That would make the Ti-83 unique 8):D
Kalimero

Post by Kalimero »

I wouldn't count on that. There aren't that many if any in the community that know how a usb stack works. There are interrupts involved and a lot of ports. Actually it would be nice if somebody could open up his calc and lookup some chips. Maybe there are some specs online.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Hmm, don't you think it has a seperate controller on a port to handle the USB port? Like how it controls the display? Either way, I think it would be more efficient to find some romcalls, to use or to disassemble ;)