Which Should i get it?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Shuffle, h10, or sen micro

Ipod Shuffle
11%
Zen Micro
67%
H10
22%

Total votes: 9

kalan_vod
Calc King

Which Should i get it?

Post by kalan_vod »

well i have a 20g ipod 3rd generation and i wanted to get a zen micro and also get a ipod shuffle. with the warianty at best buy(where i had bought it) i could exchange it for the zen and shuffle, but that policy is different for expensive stuff, like a ipod.....
so i opened the case and broke the hold button to stay on hold and so i went to best buy to find out that the policy was that they will try to fix it first and then if its unfixable i get a new ipod. so i have to wait up to 6 weeks. :(
well its been 1 week and i want to get a zen micro or a shuffle.

I do a good bit of running and i would like the screen and 5g of the mico but its a hard drive and it isn't good to shake a hd up asnd down so i want a shuffle for that reason.

which should i get?
also i do like the h10 iriver

btw its the 1g shuffle
micro
http://www.creative.com/products/produc ... 0795&nav=0

shuffle
http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/

h10
http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/hd/h10_silver.aspx
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

You're paying a premium for the iPod shuffle. Thus $149.99 for 1 Gig of space isn't really that appealing. Plus there's no screen on it. It's just a pure (hard drive? I think it was a memory based player) player.
If you like simplicity go ahead, but I tihnk you could get it lost/stolen more easily than an iRiver or Creative player.
I would choose the iRiver, because i've heard a lot of positive comments about their players.
But the thing with the creative one is that you can also backup your data which might come in handy.
I'd say the iRiver and the Creative devices are a tie. There's nothing different between them too, or not that much really.
although the shuffle is cheaper and smaller, you do pay a premium for apple brands. $149.99 is asking too much, hell i'd rather just go get an Xbox/PS2/Gamecube/ or DS instead of getting that.

Size... it's nearly the same except that the iRiver is slightly (3mm) thinner, but 3mm... not gonna make that much of a difference :roll:
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

iPod Shuffle is stupid, basically its exactly the same as any other solid-state mp3 player.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

well i was wondering b/c it is cheap and simple

btw i would use this for running. harddrive and running isnt good right?
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

I don't think that's good. I would go for the shuffle because it's simple and small, you use it for running nothing more.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
shadowing

Post by shadowing »

Go Zen Micro. Creative needs a moment of fame.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

The Ipod shuffle still isn't that good a deal. you can get a 5gb mp3 player for around $170 (usd), ipod shuffle 1gb for $140.

2.5" harddrive are designed more durable than the big 3.5" which tend to last only 3-7yrs and the slightest of shakes can cause problems. I have a 7yr old laptop harddrive in my pc now becuase I had drop the laptop destroying it, but the harddrive survived perfectly.

Ofcourse memory will usually be safer for lots of movment, but unless your taking you mp3 player into a paint mixer I'd think it be ok.
koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Post by koolmansam375 »

why about the rio carbon? its bigger (storage wise) than the iPod mini, cheaper, plays more formats (wma,mp3,dunno bout ogg, no acc(or aac) :D ), and sleeker.

Pongwars shall live!

blog is down atm. :-(
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

It depends what you're looking for.
If you're looking for sexy, cool player loaded with tons of features and the best sound quality for a mainstream player, a Nomad Zen player is your best choice.
If you want a player that has flash memory (for running),

http://www.nomadworld.com/products/muvo_Micron200/

The new Micro Micro N200 has up to 1GB storage. Oh, and something Apple forgot - a screen. That's Creative's closest player to the shuffle.

Creative have been making sound cards for years. They know their stuff when it comes to digital audio. :wink:
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

What is all that cool about 5GB of music? If you have 1 GB it takes some days to listen to them all and you can change your music every day. I think 5GB is silly.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

hehe, once again, I'll stick up for apple again. I think the shuffle is great, and would totally recommend it. I don't understand why people complain about the price, bc I think it's totally fair. A year or two ago I bought a Creative nomad muvo, and that was 150$ for a 128 mb player. I haven't really shopped around for other players, but I always love what apple produces. The best thing about it is how well it works with iTunes. With the old player I had to drag and drop what songs I wanted to listen to. You can still do that with the shuffle, but you can also use autofill, which picks random songs from a playlist you make (or your whole library). All in all, I would totally recommend it. I use it much more on a day to day basis then I ever did with my 40gb player. And it's sooo much better to run and work out with, because you don't have to worry about dropping it. :)
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Kozak wrote:What is all that cool about 5GB of music? If you have 1 GB it takes some days to listen to them all and you can change your music every day. I think 5GB is silly.
I have 13.14GB of music - that's 3093 tracks, 216:22:14. I like having it all in one device.

@blueskies: I think the problem people have here is that the shuffle isn't "great" or "amazing" or "revolutionary" - it's just a bog-standard run-of-the-mill player that's being pushed once again with Apple's grip on the advertising world. (as tr1p1ea pointed out). When I bought my 30GB Zen Xtra it was £225 - a 15GB iPod would have set me back £255. Compare the audio quality of the players and you'll see that it's a bit silly to spend a huge amount of money on something that's trendy. The iPod isn't a BAD product, and neither is the shuffle - it does have, however, an extraordinary amount of unjustified hype surrounding it.

"With the old player I had to drag and drop what songs I wanted to listen to. You can still do that with the shuffle, but you can also use autofill, which picks random songs from a playlist you make (or your whole library)."

Is that a bit like WMP's Auto Playlists? I'm boring with my player - I've set up Notmad to just make sure that the music library is the same on my PC and on my Xtra. I remember having to select tracks when I had my Soulmate - a 48MB RAM-based player. It only worked with MusicMatch 4 and was awfully slow. :D

At the end of the day, it's up to you. All I can say is that at my last school 90% of people had iPods when I was there. After I bought my Xtra and showed it to a few people there are now a surprisingly large number of Creative converts. :wink:

Oh, and let's not forget - that pinnacle of cool, Mr. William Gates (the 3rd) owns a Zen. Knowing him, he's probably got the whole set :)
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

No ipod. Ipods have the most retarded thing- when the battery dies, there is no way to replace the battery. You have to buy a whole new Ipod.
bananas... o.o
solitaire710

Creative

Post by solitaire710 »

I would go with the Creative Zen Micro.
Also if you need more storage than the standard 5gb [on the zen] you can buy a standard notebook harddrive and with a screwdriver a computer and an hour or two you can have a whopping however big you want zen micro (note you need a computer for the zen to hook up to in safe mode after you plug in the new harddrive so it [the player] can reformat)
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Try the Archos Gmini XS200, cheaper than iPod Mini, same size, holds 20 gb. Archos.com

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"