Virus

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

If anyone wants me to backup their personal info, just e-mail me it.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

roflwtflolomfg?!
I think, therefore iMac
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

threefingeredguy wrote:Plus for every five of us that sign up, CompWiz gets a free PS3!
:lol: I wish.
I looked around, and really, this is the cheapest way to back up large volumes of data. I think I first read about it on the Inquirer. And yes, all your information is encrypted, so it is secure. I did look around a bit to verify that this wasn't some shady service. For example, Cnet's download.com gave carbonite a nice review and a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. And yes, the link I posted does give me 2-3 months of free service if you sign up using it, but, as I stated, it will also give you a free month. Seems like a win-win situation to me.

@arcanewizard: unfortunately, google doesn't allow you to attatch 1TB to emails. :P
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

Actually, sending it to me is cheaper, because it's free!

If you don't have a 1Tbps connection or can't send e-mails large enough to cover your whole data collection, don't worry! Request info on how to set up your computer so I can do your backups for you!

I'll even encrrypt it so I'd have to decrypt it before being able to see your data! Secure!

Free!
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Yeah, but unlike Carbonite, you are not exactly a trustworthy data storage facility.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

oh, and don't forget sensitive data, like your credit card and social security number. You wouldn't want it to fall into the wrong hands.
I think, therefore iMac
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

I think that with this service, the data is encrypted twice. Once before leaving your computer, and once more when the company stores the copy. It seems it's about as secure as any online backup can be, without costing exorbitant amounts of money.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

The whole idea of online backups is idiotic. Even more so when you don't own the third party you send your data to. They can say then encrypt it all they want.

Oh and good luck downloading your x TB of backups. While you're doing that I'll have my backups in place in a couple of seconds and continue actually working and earning money instead of losing it. Oh, I guess those costs don't show up on their product page.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I wonder how they back up their data.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Arcane WIzard wrote:Oh and good luck downloading your x TB of backups. While you're doing that I'll have my backups in place in a couple of seconds and continue actually working and earning money instead of losing it. Oh, I guess those costs don't show up on their product page.
Well, seing as how my data is distributed across multiple hard drives, if any one fails, I only have to download that much to restore the data. It's not like I have a 1TB drive or anything. And I really doubt that losing one of my hard drives is going to cause me to be unable to work. And if any file is vital, I can just choose to download that one first.

It would take years for the small subscription cost to add up to the amount neccesary to buy backup hard drives. And then, those could fail, and I might have to buy more, adding further to the cost. Also, if I buy another hard drive, that one would also be backed up. It's nice having unlimited backup. Do remember, I'm quite the cheapskate. This is the most cost effective way to back up your data, and it's very easy as well. If there is a better way, post it.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

This cost effectiveness of sending your data elsewhere also applies to installing spyware on your computer or emailing your backups to your own google webmail account. In fact, that's free. In fact, you could just get that virtual google drive software and use however many google webmail accounts you need to backup data more intuitively than this silly thing you're advertising now.

Admit it, you where caught by their trustworthy looking website and helpfully marketed approach to backing up data, and you don't want to be wrong about that especially since you could've easily thought of cheaper and better alternatives yourself.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Hmm, let's see, doesn't Gmail have a 10mb limit? As it is, I have the firefox extension for the gmail virtual drive. I use it to move small files around. But for backup it's useless, unless you want to spend all of your time putting your large files into split archives.

And no, I didn't just look at the site and accept, I looked around at other reviews. Don't you think cnet's downloads.com is a good place for reviews? They thought it was a good service. As did the Inquirer. In fact, I did google searches on various terms including cabonite and scam. Guess what? No one has had a problem, and many people say that it's very nice. Why do you think it's bad?

Once again, if you have an altenative, post it. Gmail virtual drive won't backup any files over 10mb, making it useless. Is that the only alternative?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

CompWiz wrote:Hmm, let's see, doesn't Gmail have a 10mb limit?
Not GMail, email in general. It's typically limited to 10MB, and even if one server allows larger emails another server along the way might not.
What makes this a problem is that when sending binary data it is usually base64 encoded, which bloats it up a further 33%, giving you a maximum attachment size of about 7.5MB.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Arcane seems a bit paranoid. :P
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

CompWiz wrote:Hmm, let's see, doesn't Gmail have a 10mb limit? As it is, I have the firefox extension for the gmail virtual drive. I use it to move small files around. But for backup it's useless, unless you want to spend all of your time putting your large files into split archives.

And no, I didn't just look at the site and accept, I looked around at other reviews. Don't you think cnet's downloads.com is a good place for reviews? They thought it was a good service. As did the Inquirer. In fact, I did google searches on various terms including cabonite and scam. Guess what? No one has had a problem, and many people say that it's very nice. Why do you think it's bad?

Once again, if you have an altenative, post it. Gmail virtual drive won't backup any files over 10mb, making it useless. Is that the only alternative?
it wouldn't be too hard to write a little program that can split large programs in 10MB rar files (probably already exists) and upload it to google. If you do it right, you can let it run overnight, like we used to do with tapes.