Share your desktops

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Check out this vista. :D

Click for full size. :)

In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Looks like OS X.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

threefingeredguy wrote:Looks like OS X.
I believe that is the point.
ImageImage
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

you know, I kind of noticed that also. Or, more correctly, I noticed that it was kind of similar to how that one guy in that mac ad spoof described it:
I don't feel like I'm operating the mac so much as I'm just there sharing the mac experience. And if I can do something useful while the mac is willing, so much the better.
Vista seems kind of like that to me. It seems like there's less control and and access than previous windows. Of course, this has been happening since DOS, so w/e. In any case, I'm sure after I use it for a while I'll get used to it and figure out how to control it better, and it'll feel natural.

In any case, I'd rather not have to worry about file compatability, and as far as I'm concerned, windows is good enough. When I download some little utility from the internet, or find a great deal on a video game, I'd rather not have my OS tell me that it's not compatable. Also, you would have to be an idiot to spend hundreds more on a machine that's almost identical to a pc one you can buy. I mean, what is that price premium for? Why don't they just make macOS run on any pc and then charge like $500 to $1000 for it? That's basically what they're doing anyway. Then if anyone wants to spend the extra money, and doesn't care if most programs won't run on it, they can go ahead and get it and run it on a nice cheap pc.
[/rant]
Last edited by CompWiz on Sat 30 Sep, 2006 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

CompWiz wrote:Vista seems kind of like that to me. It seems like there's less control and and access than previous windows. Of course, this has been happening since DOS, so w/e.
There's more and more control with every edition, you just need to stop assuming you know what you're talking about and find it. Just like you need to find the control in a graphic nix/bsd environment where not everything is spoon fed to you through the start menu either.

A nice example is "find". In XP there's "findstr" with regex and everything:
Searches for strings in files.

FINDSTR [/B] [/E] [/L] [/R] [/S] [/I] [/X] [/V] [/N] [/M] [/O] [/P] [/F:file]
[/C:string] [/G:file] [/D:dir list] [/A:color attributes] [/OFF[LINE]]
strings [[drive:][path]filename[ ...]]

/B Matches pattern if at the beginning of a line.
/E Matches pattern if at the end of a line.
/L Uses search strings literally.
/R Uses search strings as regular expressions.
/S Searches for matching files in the current directory and all
subdirectories.
/I Specifies that the search is not to be case-sensitive.
/X Prints lines that match exactly.
/V Prints only lines that do not contain a match.
/N Prints the line number before each line that matches.
/M Prints only the filename if a file contains a match.
/O Prints character offset before each matching line.
/P Skip files with non-printable characters.
/OFF[LINE] Do not skip files with offline attribute set.
/A:attr Specifies color attribute with two hex digits. See "color /?"
/F:file Reads file list from the specified file(/ stands for console).
/C:string Uses specified string as a literal search string.
/G:file Gets search strings from the specified file(/ stands for console).
/D:dir Search a semicolon delimited list of directories
strings Text to be searched for.
[drive:][path]filename
Specifies a file or files to search.

Use spaces to separate multiple search strings unless the argument is prefixed
with /C. For example, 'FINDSTR "hello there" x.y' searches for "hello" or
"there" in file x.y. 'FINDSTR /C:"hello there" x.y' searches for
"hello there" in file x.y.

Regular expression quick reference:
. Wildcard: any character
* Repeat: zero or more occurances of previous character or class
^ Line position: beginning of line
$ Line position: end of line
[class] Character class: any one character in set
[^class] Inverse class: any one character not in set
[x-y] Range: any characters within the specified range
\x Escape: literal use of metacharacter x
\<xyz Word position: beginning of word
xyz\> Word position: end of word

For full information on FINDSTR regular expressions refer to the online Command
Reference.
Not to mention group controls, services management, etc.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

CompWiz wrote:Also, you would have to be an idiot to spend hundreds more on a machine that's almost identical to a pc one you can buy.
The new Mac tower: $2500
Dell's price for the exact same parts: $3000

$500 dollars more and I have to use Windows? No thanks.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

very odd.. (my computer was only €750 and there's nothing wrong with it, well except the fact i bought it a year ago)
but about being in controll.. we all know the TI OS i think.. its stable but you have absolutely no controll, you cant even lock programs with only the TI OS, soo all kinds of things like libs and apps like MirageOS and Omnicalc and CalcSys are made.. (the TI OS doesnt even let you enable lowercase..)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

threefingeredguy wrote:
CompWiz wrote:Also, you would have to be an idiot to spend hundreds more on a machine that's almost identical to a pc one you can buy.
The new Mac tower: $2500
Dell's price for the exact same parts: $3000

$500 dollars more and I have to use Windows? No thanks.
And you think I'd buy a dell? They're overpriced as well. What are the specs of the apple. I guarantee I could build one for a lot less.

@arcane wizard: about the control, I said it seems like there is less control. I may have incorrectly expressed what I ment. What I mean is that it seems that windows is controlling more what you do. For example, it's a little more difficult to get to the acutal root drive. When you're saving a file, it doesn't show an explorer that lets you get to anything, it gives you a few reccomended locations, and if you want to be able to save it somewhere else, you need to click on a browse button. It's just a little more controlled than XP. I mean, while there is plenty of control, it seems like Windows is attempting to keep the novice user from messing things up. This is probably a good thing, as just that thing probably happens all too often. Like I said, I'm sure I'll get the hang of it in a while. I just posted what my first impression was.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

CompWiz wrote:And you think I'd buy a dell? They're overpriced as well. What are the specs of the apple. I guarantee I could build one for a lot less.
* Mac OS X 10.4.7

... That right there is enough to guarantee you cannot build one for a lot less, since that costs infinty dollars without a Mac.

edit:

My tower. Click for full.

ImageImage
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

notice TFG was saying that dell charges more for a system for the same parts. I'm saying that dell's are overpriced, and I can build a system with the same hardware specs for much less than both dell and apple.

Actually, I could just put a mac theme on windows, as you have, and it'll be better than a mac, while still looking like one. :P

You think macOS is worth infinity dollars? Man, you've been really brainwashed. Maybe you better stop watching those new mac ads, they seem to be really getting to you.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

Not another os x flamewar! Now my turn to get involved...
The premium paid for a mac is worth it. You get tons of software (GarageBand, iTunes, Safari, iChat, iMove, iDVD, etc.), and a really high-quality os. After using OS X for almost a year now, there's no way I'm switching back. There's no annoying registry that programs scramble however they want. Applications don't have a lengthy install process (just mount the dmg and run the program). Everything is polished and smooth, and it feels powerful.
Don't tell me I'm brainwashed; I'm not. All of this is based on my firsthand experience with the OS. This is a very short and abbreviated version of what I have to say, so if you feel like flaming I'll be happy to create a thread for it.
I think, therefore iMac
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

well, yes, they bundle some nice programs, but they kind of have to, as all the freeware won't work on a mac. I'd really hate having to buy special programs at a premium so I can run them on a mac. With windows, almost every program will run on it. If you download something, chances are it'll work. If you buy some program at the store, it's probably a windows program. how can you stand that?
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

split plz
There's no annoying registry that programs scramble however they want.
Come back when you want to change any configuration option that's anywhere in a GUI, without having to do more than click an icon or run a fully automated script (script = easy peasy) that can not only implement the changes but also respond dynamically to other changes in settings from any source.

Want your system to switch it's audio configuration from desktop speakers to headphone when you start a game or teamspeak? Just add the needed registry settings to their start up!

If the programs you install are messing up your registry then yes, you should stay with a Mac.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

CompWiz wrote:well, yes, they bundle some nice programs, but they kind of have to, as all the freeware won't work on a mac. I'd really hate having to buy special programs at a premium so I can run them on a mac. With windows, almost every program will run on it. If you download something, chances are it'll work. If you buy some program at the store, it's probably a windows program. how can you stand that?
And how is this a good thing? It's a plain indicator of the monopoly Microsoft has on the operating system market, outside of the geek/nerd/photographer niche.
ImageImage
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »