This RPG

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

babyboy

This RPG

Post by babyboy »

hia, i would like some comments on my project here, what i need to ultimatly know is if i should continue on it or not

http://babyboy.unitedti.org/FFBETA.8xp

?
i like girls, so much so that i almost am one, almost ;)
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

hello

i would say ya, if your not working on any other projects. However, i see that you are trying to use graphix with line( and pt-on(. you may want to utilize pics or try out the newly release infamous xLib. If your new to prgming, an RPG is a great place to start ;)
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I thought this game was fimilar! Yeah this looks great for pure basic. I am glad you are still around, but as crzyrbl said there is a new Lib that will help alot on graphics if you choose to use it. xLIB. I hope you stay around and if you need any help with your game let us know and we will help you.
babyboy

Post by babyboy »

thankyou for the offer, ive been working on this game for 5 years, when i started programming. there are like 1 er 2 different things that someone might want from this game code wise, like the start menu or the graphics engine (its like 10 lines) .

as for the lines and stuff, i :x HATE :x those RPGs you download that have 15 sub programs with them and make you delete all of your pics </vent>. my goal here is to make a game with only 1 program and 1 list, and be graphical.

my ultimate goal is not a working/finished RPG, but a full load of routines that can be used in real games.
gangsta
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by gangsta »

xlib is 1 program, and it can manipul8 sprites n tilemps...
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

yeah thats why I quitted calc programming, my rpgs were like 50 programs or more and used all pics, and even if 4 of them got featured it doesnt means they are easy to install, i quitted because I prefer big rpg with full hours of game play but since I can count on my hand how many can even play them... ppl were always complaining and flaming me because my games had more than 15-20 programs near the end. that just made me lose motivation *sighs*
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

kevin, you just need to use basic builder
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

*pats xlibman on the back* I liked them all :) screw people who don't like to install something epic
ImageImage
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Kevin did you ever see how many people downloaded your games? And the fact they are awsome!

@babyboy: xLIB doesn't mean you have to have 20 subprograms, in my games atm Res uses 7 programs and 3 pics. My remake of chips uses 6 programs and 1 pic. It all depends on how you make you game.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

necro wrote:kevin, you just need to use basic builder
*sighs* I'm not gonna repeat again why I cant use BASIC Builder for my games, I told alerady 50 TIMES why it wont work with my previous games, so STFF, I am sick to death of repeating myself and awnsering this question over and over... Will I need to post a topic exclusively about this and have to ask Kv83 to put a link to this topic directly on the forum front page and the Maxcoderz website?
babyboy

Post by babyboy »

ok, ok, thats fine

if i use Xlib, the game wont be totally in basic, and thats like... cheating
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

why does it matter if the game is created in basic, asm lib + basic, ASM, 68k C, etc? Why judging games on the language they were programmed in? I will just as well ask Jman on #tcpa to delete all my files made after Illusiat 12 if thats really cheating... anyway I'm done replying to this topic, as it seems to be only unconstructive comments against RPGs that are worth the space spent (unlike some old text based ones or graphical ones that last 20 mins)

I have no problems with someone not wanting to use libs in their basic games, in fact it proves BASIC can do good stuff without relying on ASM, but with those comments I see on IRC and on some posts it almost seems like using libs is a crime, like programming in BASIC 3 years ago
Loki
Extreme Poster
Location: My world is in grayscale, but if i stand still long enough, i see it in black and white.

Post by Loki »

Kevin makes a good point. It doesn't matter what language(s) a game is programmed in, only that the game is fun. When look for a game, I dont discriminate against the language used to make it, i judge on the gameplay. Using xLib or any other lib to make games better isn't "cheating". I myself used HEX in my BASIC games. Does that mean I cheated? No, it just means that my BASIC wasnt good enough to make things as fast as i' have liked them to be. I can understand why someone would want to use a lib or anything. pure BASIC, if done right, can produce amazing things (look at DarkAuron's pure TI-le and Tankies). But those who choose not to use libs shouldnt criticize those who do. To each their own, right? The same goes for people who use libs or ASM. They shouldnt look down on people who use pure BASIC. </rant> Anyway, looks good babyboy! keep up the good work!
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

@kevin: I do know strait ports are not possible, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible at all to make em (at least large PARTS of em) in Basic Builder...and you don't have to do it but don't claim it is completely impossible. We aren't trying to force you, we just think itd be far more fun to play a game if you could install it in less than a few hours.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Not to sound mean, but NEVER say "manipul8" again. Using 8 for ate is a very big pet peeve for me, and makes you sound dumber.

Now guys, if he wants to use pure BASIC, let him. I know I have had messed up games when a game I downloaded overwrote my pictures.