New Planned z80 OS

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I agree with dys. about making the plugins as apps and keeping the OS very small, and with the basic maybe we could make it use FastRPL? That would be really nice.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

Would it be possible to include a better language than basic? Possibly a language that had much more access to the operating system than the current TI basic? Or simply expand on BASIC and add that kind of functionality.
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

thegamefreak0134 wrote:Would it be possible to include a better language than basic? Possibly a language that had much more access to the operating system than the current TI basic? Or simply expand on BASIC and add that kind of functionality.
FastRPL is just that, but right now it's an app that is huge (like4-5 pages) though it is fast!
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Hey, that's a pretty good idea, to use FastRPL :) It's been under development for a while, so it's less work to implement it, and it would seem an improvement over Ti-Basic.
dysfunction wrote:So say you start out with nothing more than a file browser, BASIC program executor, executor for nostub assembly programs, and the basic math functions.
Make that a FAT, a CLI, the FastRPL thingy and some REALLY basic math things (just rip a few from the API to make the command line calculate things like "45*24+4"). Executing assembly programs is no work at all, unless you want to support the old programs, then you'd have to make them execute from progstart ($926.. something?) and put all the old romcalls in place :(

But I think that could be done...
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
Brazucs

Post by Brazucs »

dysfunction wrote:Yes, I very much agree. I know you are intending on a lightweight OS, but I like the idea of plugins. Perhaps you could use Apps as these plugins, but within the OS allow Apps to integrate with the OS to a far greater degree than the TI-OS. This way you can have a lightweight base (think the linux base kernel) but be able to add on as extra features and functionality as you want (think mainstream linux distros). So say you start out with nothing more than a file browser, BASIC program executor, executor for nostub assembly programs, and the basic math functions. But then you could add in plugins for a BASIC editor, advanced math suites, office suites, a package of extra BASIC commands, the assembly API, Ion/Mirage compatibility, assembly dev suites, etc.
Now we're getting somewhere! We're calling that Core Design Principle, although I believe I've heard the phrase before somewhere.

Actually, we don't even need a BASIC and nostub executor. IMHO, that should also be a plugin. That way, a person could choose if they want TI-BASIC, NewBasic (or whatever it'll be called), or any user-made languages. Libraries might also come into play.

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

It's just that the size of it is HUGE, for a 83+ so I thought it would be cool to have but w/e.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

I am not sure how much I like the idea...getting a os ressent was a bitch, how hard will it be to keep sending feature updates and all.
Brazucs

Post by Brazucs »

Hopefully as easy as sending normal progs and restarting the calc.

pacHa
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by pacHa »

Yes, as I have written in the discussion about NewBASIC, integrating fastRPL might be a good thing since it is already usable and quite impressive :) It would also avoid re-inventing the wheel once again
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

Is tios-basic not a read only part of the calc...as in, can the basic be removed and/or fiddled wth?
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

Theoretically (as TI would like us to think) no; in actuality, yes.
Image Image Image
Brazucs

Post by Brazucs »

I just noticed .su.cx causes problems in IE6 sometimes, so I changed the link in the first post:
http://brazucs.unitedti.org/wiki/

necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

how much memory is devoted to it and all? 512K?
Last edited by necro on Thu 02 Feb, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

From this and your previous post, I don't think you understand, this is an entire OS. No semblence of TI-OS will remain.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

I have realised this after a little reading, I had been under the false assumption parts of the OS were hard written and I did not know that everything could be wiped out.