Favorite Video Games and Why

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Favorite Video Games and Why

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

Since we're all in the game development business, I thought it would be helpful to post and discuss out favorite non-calc video games and what makes them so great. Feel free to post as many or as few as you want, and how you think we as programmers might learn from them.

Side Scroller
I just finished playing Mega Man X all the way through for like the 5th time this year. This is my favorite ss ever. The game is so simple, and yet there are cool weapons, neat abilities (wall jump, power up), and even a plot. I love the in-game cut scenes with Zero. I haven't played TI Mega Man... is it any good?

Graphic Adventure Game
The Secret of Monkey Island. Funny, challenging, good game play. I play this game about once a year, and it's still almost a fun as the first time. I'm making an adventure game for the TI right now. Also, Stranded is a good TI graphic adventure.

Action/Adventure Game
Any of the Gameboy Zelda's. I love Zelda in 2d (although the N64 ones were quite good too). I also love the simple, yet very expressive sprites. Looks like the best TI Zelda ever is in the works right now.

Flight Simulator
The original X-Wing for DOS. It had awesome graphics for its time. I loved it because it was a flight simulator with a plot... and by that I mean you didn't just fly around and shoot stuff. You actually had to disable ships, or capture them, or escord them, or a combination of the above, all in the same mission. I don't know of any good flight sims for calculators... do you?

RPG
Pokemon. Say what you want, but I love that game! By 'that game' I mean red and blue... and gold and silver weren't bad either. It just never got old. I always though it would make a really good MMORPG... wish I could just plug my Gameboy right into the internet and play it online. I loved the strategy and the simple, yet addictive battle mode. This is probably the game I've poured the most hours into.

Well, post your thoughts. :)
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Pokemon Firered and Leafgreen are remakes of the original story and the original monsters. Its fun too.

As for RPGs, I like Grandia and Chrono Trigger.

Action games: Megaman legends is perfect. I also like Unreal 1 (not tournament, just "Unreal") and the Spyro series.

Flight Simulator: Microsoft Excel's Easter Egg flight simulator.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

C64: Impossible Mission I-II for the challenge. Creatures for its aesthetic appeal. Turrican I-III for their extremely big and beautifully drawn levels and creatures. Stunt Car Racer for its unique gameplay on the platform. Mechanicus for being an excellent pinball game in every respect. Forbidden Forest for being the first on many accounts. Lode Runner for its hidden strategic aspect. Test Drive I-II for their monumentality. Street Rod for its uniqueness. Skate or Die for being lots of excellent games in one. Wizard of Wor II... that needs no explanation for a true C64er.

PC: Dune I for the audiovisual aesthetic appeal. Dune II and Master of Orion I for the strategy. Quake I for gameplay. Stunts for customisability. Civilisation I for the mood. Another World for its finely chiselled parallel universe. Flashback ditto. Death Rally for the overall game experience. Jetpack for getting the lode runner concept right and augmenting it.

There are many others that I could bring up for some notable feature, but I think the pattern is obvious.
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Silver - action adventure rpg. It's like FF made for the PC with a great story and great graphics and action.

Half-Life 2 - the combination of the physics, graphics and the story.

Summoner - best PC RPG ever.

Diablo - for the gameplay/addiction.

C&C - gameplay and mood.

Heroes of Might&Magic - addictiveness and mood.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Side Scroller: Yoshi's Island. What do you need more than Yoshi's Island? :) I believe it shocked everyone in the SNES days.

RPG
Yeh Pokemon here too. I don't know what about it that's so addicting, but it sure keeps me more entertained than having the same characters over and over again ... oh yaeh I think that's it! You can control your party and are not limited to 3-4 characters. Maybe that's why I like it. It keeps me occupied on those 18 hour long plane rides

I really wish they'd do a remake of Gold/Silver... that was probably the BEST pokemon game i've ever played...

RTS
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders
Okay, bad voice acting but man this is great. Controls are easy to follow but I gotta tell ya: Micro Micro Micro! Micro is KEY in KUF:TC. Units interdepend on each other (archers can take down calvary easily, while infantry can protect archers for example).

FPS
They're all the same but... i'd say Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. CoD was great too, especially the satisfying gun sounds but i'd like to play just one side of the story.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

NOLF - Cheesy good fun, whacky characters, varying missions, wonderful background music, a very long storyline... Just perfect :)

Total Annihilation - Complete hardcore RTS.

LucasArts adventures - Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Indiana Jones, Grim Fandango... Never gonna happen again.

Quake games - Had rock-solid 3D engines that have helped many hobby programmers :wink:

Abuse - Action-packed side-scroller.

Games from the early to mid 90s - PC game ideas blossomed and CDs from computer magazines were a joy to browse through.
tokijnct

Post by tokijnct »

Super Mario RPG from the days of SNES 8)

Grandia II from Dreamcast. Liked the battle system in how after you use a command, your character needs to run towards the enemy to attack and you can disable enemy actions by attacking at the right time. Nice semi-real time.

Tales of Symphonia - "80 hours of gameplay!" - according to box :p = more like 40 hours.

SNES Yoshi Island - spend so much time trying to get all perfect 100s

Super Smash Bros - So much imagination for scenarios

Super Smash Bros Melee (bet you didn't see this one coming :p) Hurray for Stamina mode and the many characters!
Projects:
Phantasy Star Dark Millenia - Put aside for the moment...

UnitedTI BASIC Competition
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

WHAT?!?! NO-ONE LISTED ZELDA AS THEIR FAVORITE RPG!?!?!

Pokeman was good, but Zelda Ocarina of time and Majora's Mask are the total best

Side scroller... hmmm... has anyone played "Day of the Tentacle" for the PC (it's for the 95) that is the coolest unique game that's a side scroller, more of an RPG though.
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Many people don't consider Zelda an RPG. It's really hard to put that game into a genre. Kind of puzzle/rpg/adventure game. :)

For me it goes like so:
FPS Battlefield 2 (PC)
Adventure Zelda (all)
Platform The Hobbit (PC)
Racing F-Zero X (n64)
Flight Simulator Falcon 4.0 (PC)
bananas... o.o
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: Favorite Video Games and Why

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

Homestar wrote:WHAT?!?! NO-ONE LISTED ZELDA AS THEIR FAVORITE RPG!?!?!
L4E_WakaMol-King wrote:Action/Adventure Game
Any of the Gameboy Zelda's.
*ahem*
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Spengo wrote:Many people don't consider Zelda an RPG. It's really hard to put that game into a genre. Kind of puzzle/rpg/adventure game. :)

For me it goes like so:
FPS Battlefield 2 (PC)
Adventure Zelda (all)
Platform The Hobbit (PC)
Racing F-Zero X (n64)
Flight Simulator Falcon 4.0 (PC)
Dang, Battlefield 2 lags too much on my Pentium M 1.6GHz. So I can only play it with everything set to low :cry: if I set lighting to medium ... watch it lag.
I really hate EA
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Er yeah, a 1.6 GHz isn't going to run bf2 very well. :o 'Tis very hard on the processor. 2.0 GHz at least.

Hope you do the multiplayer! I know a few people who say bf2 really sucks, and it took me awhile to figure out why they thought this. They were like, the gfx are pretty, but the game is boring and the maps are small. :? Now, it the maps are small part is what tipped me off. Battlefield two is a game that pretty much requires a broadband internet connection because the single player is teh suxorz. :roll: The maps are ginormous, but they scale depending on the # of players. (the combat zone expands and more checkpoints are added) The single player mode seems to me to be made solely for practice for the actual game so you don't embaress yourself in front of other players when you first try to fly a helicoptor and so you don't decimate your score. Only the 16 player size maps are available for single player. :P I have only played the single player once, for about 10 minutes, until it bored me. :lol: The multiplayer is AWESOME though! 64 player battles on humongous maps with tank shells flying every which way, artillery strikes raining death upon bases, and lots of fps goodness! And don't forget the rts (when playing as commander) and mmorpg aspects of the game too. Right now, I am 90% of the way towards getting the next rank (sergeant) and a new weapon unlock. Pretty much, anyone who doesn't like BF2 doesn't like HL2 either 'cause of that damned steam thing.
bananas... o.o
Stickmanofdoom

Post by Stickmanofdoom »

My favorite platformer has to be the Commander Keen series, mainly because I was brought up on them. It also doesnt hurt that the games are still tons of fun to play. In close second is Super Mario 3, because it's SMB3 :)
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

I have to admit, I haven't found a single non-RPG game that I can never get bored of. It just seems to me that non-RPG games, with the exception of Zelda games, just get repetetive after awhile. I'd have to say my favorite game is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, partly because I haven't gotten bored of it. In fact, I got all side tracked with all the storyline and character creation stuff that I haven't beaten the game. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

edit: Metroid Zero mission is my favorite GBA game.
Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town is my favorite GBA i guess RPG. Pokemon's not bad but once I found out about EVs and IVs and all the hidden math, I felt sick of playing it.

For some reason, GBA is my favorite system.
Last edited by Liazon on Tue 15 Nov, 2005 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

I really liked Rome:Total war. And not just because of the cool battles with thousands upon thousands of soldiers fighting, flaming arrows flying overhead, and siege weapons flinging their thundering doom onto the battlefield, *ahem*, actually, when I first played Medieval: Total war, my old computer froze on the battles, so I played the whole game from the gameboard mode. It was a lot of fun. The better battles in Rome: total war did add a lot, though.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image