Quest Quest: A Graphic Adventure (new download available!)

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Should i use Grayscale?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 20

L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Quest Quest: A Graphic Adventure (new download available!)

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

83+ assembly programming has been around long enough and has seen enough talented programmers to give us a pretty complete cannon of games. There's something good from almost every genera: puzzle games, side-scrollers, shooters, even RPG's. But, in my opinion, what the TI game cannon lacks is a good Graphic Adventure game. (Forgive me if there is one already made, and I have missed it.)

The classic GA's (in case anyone is not familiar with this genera) are 'The Secret of Monkey Island,' 'King's Quest,' 'Day of the Tentacle,' 'Loom,' 'Sam and Max Hit the Raod,' etc. If you haven't played at least one of these games, you simply have not lived. If you have, you'll know what I mean by Graphic Adventure.

I plan to remedy this severe lack. I've already started work on the game... mostly just the scrolling engine and sprite routines. It's getting to the point where I can't go much farther until I have the plot worked out. Sadly, I am at a loss for a good plot. :(

I want something original and comical. Pirates and sci-fi time travel are both already taken by Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle respectivly. I'm at a loss for a good plot... maybe Ninjas or something?

Anyway, any and all suggestions for a plot or plot elements are welcome. You can suggest anything from a theme, to a specific puzzle. Please email ideas to sgware@gmail.com. If anyone is particularly helpful, I will be sure to mention you in the game credits.

-Stephen

EDIT - This poll goes with this thread, where I am discussing and getting opinions for a graphic adventure that I am working on.

Here's a brief description of the project:
1. Screen is a 7 x 5 field of 12 x 12 sprites
2. Program have several fairly large maps
3. Program scrolls with character, in tile scroll mode (not smooth scroll)

Here's a screenshot to give you an idea of how the program works. Do you think grayscale would improve it, or not?

Also, I'd love some input from anyone who understands the inner workings of grayscale. I imagine it is quite a drain on the batteries, right?
Last edited by L4E_WakaMol-King on Tue 22 Nov, 2005 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

I am gonna help you here...*cough* Desolate *cough*.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

How about something like Peasant's Quest?

It's funny, and it would probably be relatively simple to program for the calc.

Here's a preview video of the game. And Here's a trailer for the movie.

Do watch them, even if you don't intend to play the game. :D
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Ahh, a fellow fan of HSR. :) I've played Peasant's Quest before... got all 150 points too. :D

And I did see Desolate too... though I can't play it on my calculator. Even with the interupt level on 0, it runs so slow that every keypress takse a few seconds to register. It looks like a good game, but from what I saw of the screenshots, it looks like it has some action elements to it, and has a serious plot. The game genera I'm working in is comical, and there's also no way to 'die' per se. Everything revolves around using commands like 'Talk to' and 'Use' to interact with your environment and solve puzzles.

Peasant's Quest is a good example of the type of game I have in mind ;).
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

In the TI world, probably Stranded comes closest to your vision:

http://www.df.lth.se/~lft/entertainment ... index.html
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

L4E_WakaMol-King wrote:Ahh, a fellow fan of HSR. :) I've played Peasant's Quest before... got all 150 points too. :D

And I did see Desolate too... though I can't play it on my calculator. Even with the interupt level on 0, it runs so slow that every keypress takse a few seconds to register. It looks like a good game, but from what I saw of the screenshots, it looks like it has some action elements to it, and has a serious plot. The game genera I'm working in is comical, and there's also no way to 'die' per se. Everything revolves around using commands like 'Talk to' and 'Use' to interact with your environment and solve puzzles.

Desolate is slower when the interrupt level is lower, so 6 probably is the fastest.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

L4E_WakaMol-King wrote:Ahh, a fellow fan of HSR. :) I've played Peasant's Quest before... got all 150 points too. :D

Put the interupt on 6, that will speed it up.

I got 151 points in PQ before they released the fixed version :).
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

I tried Desolate out on 6, and it worked fine. :) My compliments to anyone who worked on it. It's a great game, and the grayscale is awesome.

I'm going to try out stranded too. Until then, anyone come up with any suggestions? (This thread has strayed a bit form topic ;))
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Desolate is by Pat Predergast, aka tr1p1ea. He practically lives on these boards, so you should probably see him around here.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

My compliments to Pat, then. That game must have taken you quite a lot of work.

By the way, I just played Stranded. It was amazing :shock:. It was like playing 'Secret of Monkey Island' all over again, only shorter and in black and white. Linus Akesson, I would love to shake your hand!

All this has given me some ideas for my game. They're mostly just single element ideas, though, so if anyone has some good suggestions for over-arching plots, I would still appreciate them.
Last edited by L4E_WakaMol-King on Wed 02 Nov, 2005 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
axcho

Post by axcho »

Hmmm, I never knew about Stranded. Interesting.

How were you thinking of doing the graphics for this graphical adventure game? Would they be scenes like in Stranded, or maybe tiles like in Desolate? If you are using tiles, may I suggest to you my new project, Cellular Automata Tiles? Basically they are a way of generating 8x8 sprites from two bytes. It would be useful if you plan to have a large variety of tiles.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Linus Torvalds is brilliant, although a true nerd. Binary art? Com'on now :D
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

I'll be using tiles, but they will be 12 x 12. Still, I'd love to hear how your program works, just for the sake of learning.
dragon__lance

Post by dragon__lance »

hmm...if u want to go for the comical style, u could try to make a game based off of weird al's song "Alberquerque". :D

or an assasin-type game would be kinda cool :)
axcho

Post by axcho »

I'll be using tiles, but they will be 12 x 12. Still, I'd love to hear how your program works, just for the sake of learning.
Why 12x12? Anyway, you can read about cellular automata here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_automata

My routine uses the one-dimensional binary cellular automata mentioned in the article.

Here is a topic about a version of the program in TI-BASIC:
http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=2727
Here is a topic about the assembly version:
http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=3693