angband-esque game

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

well, I have made a lot of changes...I have killed off classes and simplified magic, and items no longer exist on screen (exception being the rare treasure chest) and I am adding some science fiction elements inspired by FMA...like "implants" for your character (sound like auto-mail?) and I slowly progressing...
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

This is great to hear, so can we get a ss soon :D. Keep it up man I can't wait to see those graphics!
axcho

Post by axcho »

I am also trying to design a calculator RPG with randomly generated maps. Maybe we could help each other in some way? I am going to be using a variant of Arcane Wizard's people sprites to generate a random person from two bytes. I am also going to use CATs for the terrain. I'm not sure how to do the items though. For them I might do something similar with the way I generate people. To design the encoding method, I'm planning on writing a program like Sprite Lab on the computer except for evolving encoding methods - a kind of Meta Sprite Lab.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to generate interesting random maps, especially with the problem of using random tiles. I thought of maybe using a 1D reversible cellular automata to generate the next row of tiles when you go off the screen, but I don't know how well that would work. Hmmm, second order cellular automata look very promising. What would be nice is if every map could be generated from only a few bytes and look good. If I get that, this RPG should have almost infinitely varied worlds.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

OT ALERT:
Axcho, do these maps guarantee that there is a path through them while still being random? I could use something like that.

On Topic:
Sounds like fun. Implants are always fun to use. Boosting up your character mechanically sounds more fun than magically.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

axcho wrote:I am also trying to design a calculator RPG with randomly generated maps. Maybe we could help each other in some way? I am going to be using a variant of Arcane Wizard's people sprites to generate a random person from two bytes. I am also going to use CATs for the terrain. I'm not sure how to do the items though. For them I might do something similar with the way I generate people. To design the encoding method, I'm planning on writing a program like Sprite Lab on the computer except for evolving encoding methods - a kind of Meta Sprite Lab.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to generate interesting random maps, especially with the problem of using random tiles. I thought of maybe using a 1D reversible cellular automata to generate the next row of tiles when you go off the screen, but I don't know how well that would work. Hmmm, second order cellular automata look very promising. What would be nice is if every map could be generated from only a few bytes and look good. If I get that, this RPG should have almost infinitely varied worlds.
randomly generated maps would be a cool RPG element in a strategy/tactical RPG that has very little story line but lots of action.
Image Image Image
axcho

Post by axcho »

Axcho, do these maps guarantee that there is a path through them while still being random? I could use something like that.
Well, I haven't started playing with different algorithms yet, but when I do I'll let you know how it goes. I'm optimistic about it though. :D
randomly generated maps would be a cool RPG element in a strategy/tactical RPG that has very little story line but lots of action.
Okay, thanks for the advice. Obviously my RPG will not have a predetermined storyline with scripted events and dialogue! But there should be a sort of setting that provides the context for the action. Mostly, though, I want to emphasize exploration in the game, because that is what I like the most about RPGs. I think I'll have some strategy and tactics, but that would not be the focus.

What I'm aiming for is a game like Taskmaker, but with more (randomly generated) towns and dungeons and a more open-ended storyline. Unfortunately Taskmaker is almost the only RPG I've played. So I'm planning on reading articles at The Future of RPGs to catch up.
Snake
Location: Currently violently murdering terrorist in a deep jungle somewhere in Tselinoyarsk.

Post by Snake »

i'm currently doing something similar in basic
Rogue for ti-83+
a mix of Nethack and Rogue (i play angband on my psp :P)

it's been some time's since progress has been made (summer...)
but i't advancing toward something clear now...

i wanted to make a random map generation algorythm too, but left the idea somewhere .... it's too much for me :p

i'm only 17years old, don't ask me to do things "a la metroid for ti-83+"
it's only too hard for me right now, and i don't know assembly :p

if you got some idea for a random map generation algorythm (the room have to be connected, and be playable :p) just come in my topic : Nethack/rogue in "announce your project"

by the way, good luck for AngBand! i would be very pleased to play it with sprite (even if i still play the ascii version (i'm an hardcore old school gamer :P) on my ti-83+ :p

i'm also working on a conversion of my rogue program into a Metal Gear type game ^^

byebye
This is Snake, do you read me?