Aura

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

dysfunction
Calc Master

Aura

Post by dysfunction »

Well, this has been kindof on a back burner for a while: I was planning to wait until I had better command of asm, but I don't seem to be able to hold my interest in it. Now, however, I think I have the skills to do most of what I wanted to do in Basic. So here's my latest project, (Ender's Game is also still in development), Aura. It's a sci-fi rpg with a real-time battle system (like in Tales of Phantasia, not like in Zelda- separate engine from the overworld), vast, varied landscapes to explore, from under water to deep caves to crashed massive alien spacecraft- all in all, it'll be a Tales of Phanatsia-like rpg with a plot like that of Perfect Dark, Halo and Deus Ex, but completely orignal. This will be for all models of 83+ and 84, no regular 83 version (requires Omnicalc and large amounts of archive). Anyways, I have some animated screenshots in avi format (I used a video screen capture program to capture Flash Debugger, as VTI has no app support).
ftp://dysfunction@earthforge.com@ftp.ea ... RAANI1.AVI
ftp://dysfunction@earthforge.com@ftp.ea ... RAANI2.AVI

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

It's asking for a password for the ftp site.

funny...firefox asks for a password, internet explorer just gives an error page. :)
CrimsonCasio

Post by CrimsonCasio »

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow, those GFX are very nice ... have you thought about going grayscale?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
ISUCK
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by ISUCK »

Man... this is ushering a new era for basic!!!

BTW, it's a bit graphics intensive, but SWEET!
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

This looks extremely good. How did you manage masked sprites? The pixel art looks amazing. I like the dark ambiance.
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Simply amazing man! Truely another achievement! I see nothing but good things coming from that EPS group! :wink:
The Revolution is here...
CrimsonCasio

Post by CrimsonCasio »

we're trying to live up to our name ;)

and dysfunction is a great 2-bit artist (hehe) ;)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

He certainly is, like most people i cant wait to see this game unravel.

*side note* - could you please register if you are going to be posting often :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Hmmm... unlike other's I don't like those GFX to be honest... The calc's LCD is too blurry to make those sprites and background looking good, and I am afraid you won't see your 'character' and enemy's as you should
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

With all those pixels, it's very hard to see what is what. If you want things dark and gloomy, think about making things in silhouette; add shadows and make some areas almost all white (pretty much like the table with the computer on it). The tree looked nice, but again, it was kinda tricky to see where it really was. I've never touched grayscale, so I shouldn't comment on that.
Looks great for Basic anyway, but... Well, you know, Basic :) It's all positive criticism.
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Best basic game (in graphix ofcourse) I've ever seen. It looks amazing, it reminds me a bit of Desolate with high detail environments.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

kv83 wrote:Hmmm... unlike other's I don't like those GFX to be honest... The calc's LCD is too blurry to make those sprites and background looking good, and I am afraid you won't see your 'character' and enemy's as you should
Yeah that's true. I Noticed that it's also difficult to see the character, almost everything is blackish.
CrimsonCasio

Post by CrimsonCasio »

mabey if the character were made whiter...
Mortal-God

Post by Mortal-God »

CrimsonCasio wrote:mabey if the character were made whiter...
So what, the main character can only be white! Just messin'

but yeah maybe if there was a white boarder around him, or if the ground tiles weren't so dark the main character would show up better. Personally I like the graphics maybe a little touching up. But it is definately a graphics style that I can't rememeber seeing on a z80 calc yet. And the view is really close up. I think its great kinda reminds me of King's Quest.