Debate thread (revived)

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

ok...new issue...

If a company is offering a service and calling it free, IMO it most definately should not be trying to trick you into paying without your knowledge. Many sites will bait you with a free service and then 'even' one or more 'trial' subscription(s) to other sites or have a bunch of fifferent services that are nutualy inclusive or confusing in their structure. Often, you will be made to enter a credit card number to sign up. The one could only discover by the small print that should you not cancle your "trials", or do this stipulation, that stipulation, etc. you will be charged large sums for the 'free' service. Having not named any names...have any of you seen or suffered this? (I have just noticed it more times than I'd like to count.)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Arcane WIzard wrote:
CompWiz wrote:the PS3 is having serious problems. Did you know that the cell processor has some serious flaws, and very low yields? It may even be beaten by the Xbox 360 cpu. read about it here.
Uhm, no.. http://www.joystiq.com/2006/06/05/rumor ... nd-broken/
Read the comments on Slashdot concerning the very same article. It is debunked. The supposed "slow and broken" aspects of the Cell and RSX chips are established ways of handling 3D that are pretty regular on PCs already. This isn't anything even remotely wrong in any way, shape, or form.

according to Tom Reeves, VP of semiconductor and technology services at IBM, yields of Cell processors are around 10-20 %. Inquirer wrote up a news story about it, and here's the actual interview where he said that.

I wonder how much it will cost to get a good number of Cell processors with yields that low. In effect, you have to pay for the 80-90% of the processors that didn't work when you buy ones that do work.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

I was poiting out how the local read memory speed, which the "article" you linked to spoke of as a serious flaw, isn't flawed at all and neither are other part's of it's technology seriously flawed in any respect.

The yields are inherently low with high performance console CPUs because they must be of a specific frequency to be viabale for sales, they can't just label it as a couple of megahertz less and sell it for $10 less like AMD and Intel can with their PC CPUs. Add to that the fact that PS3's CPU is pushing the limits and it's perfectly logical that they have low wields from their wavers. Which is the largest reason for the PS3's high price, yes.

But we already knew the PS3 is expensive.

Guess what? The XBox360 also has/had low yields, but Microsoft won't release the figures. ; )

And guess what? Your precious Amd Athlon 64 had yields of ~30%. And that's with the varying frequency for PC CPUs that increases yield like I explained above. That's lower than Cells with redundancy. New GPU yields are even considerably lower than that.

10-20% yields are perfectly fine for new processors, especially console CPUs, and most definately is it fine when an IBM VP says the yields can be doubled with their logic redundancy technique. Which is awesome.

theinquirer.com knows nothing, I recommend common sense and google.