The Da Vinci Code - The movie

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

L4E_WakaMol-King wrote:Yeah, we Catholics didn't do ourselves any favors by banning the book. It makes it look like we are trying to cover something up, which I believe is one of the big premises of the book.

As I said before, intelligent people will realize why it was banned, and not mistake it for a truthful account. However, there are a lot of unintelligent people.

I would be interested to hear Arcane WIzard's personal position on faith.
Why does it need to be banned? It's fiction. It's not classified under non-fiction, it's a story. It's not true. It's purpose is not to make people doubt their faith, it's to make money and to entertain peole with a nice fictional story. Why are so many people reacting to this like he was trying to overthrow the church? He wrote a story, classified it under fiction, of course, and everyone is going crazy because it doesn't agree with the Bible. Have they noticed how many other books also don't agree with the Bible? Why haven't they banned Decipher? It was an international bestseller. I just finished reading it. It's a good book, speaks with (false of course) authority that could make some weak minded people believe it, but they would have to be extremely weak minded. But it goes against the Bible, refutes it directly, in fact. No ban? why is that?
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

Calm down... I'm not saying it should be banned. I think banned books in general are a bad idea. I'm just saying that informed people will realize that it was banned because the Church found it offensive, not because it is trying to hide some kind of conspiracy theory that Dan Brown uncovered.
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

L4E_WakaMol-King wrote:Calm down... I'm not saying it should be banned. I think banned books in general are a bad idea. I'm just saying that informed people will realize that it was banned because the Church found it offensive, not because it is trying to hide some kind of conspiracy theory that Dan Brown uncovered.
I don't think there is any conspiracy like there was in the book, but why single out this book? As I've pointed out earlier, there have been plenty of top-selling books similar to this that have refuted the Bible.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Timendus wrote:Why are you so surprised? Don't you know many people around the world prayed yesterday because it was the sixth of the sixth of the sixth? You know, the number of the devil. Don't you know many people around the world killed children that were born on that day because they feared to have given birth to the devil's child? And that's just because of some number.
Actually, I am suprised by that. it's 6-6-2006, not 6-6-6 :) they "made" those numbers "up". Further more; just because next year is 7-7-2007, doesn't mean your baby is going to be lucky for all his life when born on that day...
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Okay then, now you know that people can be that stupid, does it STILL surprise you that they make such a fuss about that book?
CompWiz wrote:I think that the reason the Catholic chuch is so worried is because they think that the DaVinci code will be able to sway the beliefs of some of the Catholics who do not read their Bible very much.
Timendus wrote:That said; reading the Bible on a regular interval doesn't make you smarter or less gullible either, only better at reading and perhaps remembering those specific texts, as reading it regularly counts as practice.
Rome isn't stupid you know. They know perfectly well that this has nothing to do with reading the damn Bible. I think they're just using the book to get their faith back in the spotlights. The book and the movie raise questions. They try to win souls by answering some questions. I think that's pretty much all there is to it.
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

kv83 wrote:Actually, I am suprised by that. it's 6-6-2006, not 6-6-6 :) they "made" those numbers "up". Further more; just because next year is 7-7-2007, doesn't mean your baby is going to be lucky for all his life when born on that day...
Remember programs that store only the last two digits of the year? :P And also there are sane, big-endian date notations like ours, where it is 2006-06-06. Not that it matters anyway. 666 itself is a fairly uninteresting number.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Timendus wrote:Okay then, now you know that people can be that stupid, does it STILL surprise you that they make such a fuss about that book?
CompWiz wrote:I think that the reason the Catholic chuch is so worried is because they think that the DaVinci code will be able to sway the beliefs of some of the Catholics who do not read their Bible very much.
Timendus wrote:That said; reading the Bible on a regular interval doesn't make you smarter or less gullible either, only better at reading and perhaps remembering those specific texts, as reading it regularly counts as practice.
Rome isn't stupid you know. They know perfectly well that this has nothing to do with reading the damn Bible. I think they're just using the book to get their faith back in the spotlights. The book and the movie raise questions. They try to win souls by answering some questions. I think that's pretty much all there is to it.
But people who read the bible regualarly are less likely to throw away their faith for a fictional story.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Why..?

For example; what's the point in reading it regularly if you know it by heart?
For example; what's the point in reading it regularly if you're a faithful, churchgoing, Godloving person why doesn't need the Bible to believe in God?

The fact that you appearently read the Bible doesn't make you any better or wiser than anyone else, mind you.
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Timendus wrote:Why..?

For example; what's the point in reading it regularly if you know it by heart?
For example; what's the point in reading it regularly if you're a faithful, churchgoing, Godloving person why doesn't need the Bible to believe in God?

The fact that you appearently read the Bible doesn't make you any better or wiser than anyone else, mind you.

If you are any one of the things you listed above, then you probably will not be influenced into believing the DaVinci code. However, if you are one of the people that just goes to church on Sundays, doesn't read or know the Bible very well, then wouldn't you agree that this person would be more likely to throw away Christianity for the DaVinci code?
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

CompWiz wrote:If you are any one of the things you listed above, then you probably will not be influenced into believing the DaVinci code. However, if you are one of the people that just goes to church on Sundays, doesn't read or know the Bible very well, then wouldn't you agree that this person would be more likely to throw away Christianity for the DaVinci code?
So what? These people weren't believers in the first place. Therefore, they can't 'throw away' Christianity. And frankly, if someone is so deeply affected by a cheap flick like this one, it doesn't really make a difference...
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

elfprince13 wrote:
faith
in a religious context it is trust, usually in a higher power such as God, without any evidence. I have faith that God exists. I have faith in him that is a god worth serving.
Surely you have evidence in you of how some or many teachings of Christianity are right and just? You don't need evidence for god's excistence for any purpose, but the cool things jesus told people to do and why are practical and realistic enough to have experienced some evidence of. There's more to being a Christian than believing in god. So that's what I mean with it being more than just trusting the bible or whatever holy book one's religion holds. If you have faith in the bible you don't just say that the bible is right, you also try to live by it's values.
Lewis does not propose the argument as a proof of the deity of Christ, but attempts to portray as foolish those who dismiss Jesus as merely a moral teacher.
Interesting, but in my honest opinion portraying those who portray Jesus as "merely" a moral teacher as foolish isn't quite the right approach even though using the term merely isn't quite suitable either. The term "merely" can't apply to being a moral teacher, it's one of the highest, most important, most valuable, things one can be (if you're good at it :P). He was (or at the very least the person described in the story of the bible was) a moral teacher, either as a lord, a liar, or a lunatic. Maybe it would be better if he was lying/delusional about being the son of god, it would confirm the possibility of any normal human being being as cool a dude as he is portrayed to be.
elfprince13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by elfprince13 »

Arcane WIzard wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
faith
in a religious context it is trust, usually in a higher power such as God, without any evidence. I have faith that God exists. I have faith in him that is a god worth serving.
Surely you have evidence in you of how some or many teachings of Christianity are right and just? You don't need evidence for god's excistence for any purpose, but the cool things jesus told people to do and why are practical and realistic enough to have experienced some evidence of. There's more to being a Christian than believing in god. So that's what I mean with it being more than just trusting the bible or whatever holy book one's religion holds. If you have faith in the bible you don't just say that the bible is right, you also try to live by it's values.
Being a christian is not believing that Christ is the son of god, it is choosing to follow his teachings. Which happen to be recorded in the bible. But if you cant trust the bible as an accurate source of information, how do you know thats what he was actually teaching? You can believe in God without liking him or wanting to follow his teachings.
Lewis does not propose the argument as a proof of the deity of Christ, but attempts to portray as foolish those who dismiss Jesus as merely a moral teacher.
Interesting, but in my honest opinion portraying those who portray Jesus as "merely" a moral teacher as foolish isn't quite the right approach even though using the term merely isn't quite suitable either. The term "merely" can't apply to being a moral teacher, it's one of the highest, most important, most valuable, things one can be (if you're good at it :P). He was (or at the very least the person described in the story of the bible was) a moral teacher, either as a lord, a liar, or a lunatic. Maybe it would be better if he was lying/delusional about being the son of god, it would confirm the possibility of any normal human being being as cool a dude as he is portrayed to be.
thats the thing, if he was a liar, than he was one of the highest order and we probably shouldn't be listening to him personally. Telling somebody you will save them from going to hell if you know that you can't is one of the most evil things you could do, especially in a society as religious as the roman empire. And also seems to have had a very keen mind if you look at all the times he outsmarted the Pharisees.
NanoWar
Extreme Poster

Post by NanoWar »

I don't interest in history, but the film was good.
I really liked the riddle stuff.
Revolution Software
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

So, maybe they should read the Bible and what it says about the antichrist instead of just fearing the number 666. In fact, the only time the date was really that was in the year 6, at which time people didn't even use our current numbering system for years. And the Bible doesn't say that 666 is the date of the antichrist, it's the number. Obviously if thousands of people are born on that day, they can't all be the antichrist, and if only one was, it woudn't make much sense. If anyone killed their child, they're stupid, and very much unchristian. They do know that killing is a definite no, right?
Actually, 666 isnt the number of the antichrist. it's the number of the beast. Actually, writing out the word 666 is Hebrew numbers, spells out NRWNQSR, neron Caesar. The roman emperor Nero prosecuted christians, so they'd hate him.
And it's believed that it's actually 616, which spells out NRWQSR. A little translation error would make that 666.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

elfprince13 wrote:Being a christian is not believing that Christ is the son of god, it is choosing to follow his teachings. Which happen to be recorded in the bible. But if you cant trust the bible as an accurate source of information, how do you know thats what he was actually teaching? You can believe in God without liking him or wanting to follow his teachings.
The teachings are still in there, regardless of historical accuracy. Not recognizing that and only believing it because of historical accuracy is not faith. Thus this movie should not cause one the slightest bit of doubt in those teachings, if one really has faith.

In my opinion religion is just a silly politics thing that messes up and distracts people from what really matters. This is what movies like this one, and various scientific topics like evolution, stirs. They cause doubt when faith is built on a game of the ego enforced by parties only seeking control over the reality outside their minds through rules and threats instead of honest feeling, faith, or wisdom

The honesty of those elements in life do not rely on the historical accuracy of a book or going to heaven or hell depending on if you follow someone's rules so Jesus lieing about that bit or not is essentially unrelevant in our lives. His teachings about life itself hold value during life. Anything he lied about won't become apparant untill it's over, if at all. Even if he lied, you'll still have lived the way you, in my opinion should, have wanted to. Thus Jesus was a cool dude in most of what he said, in my opinion, no matter how you twist or turn the context his actions where supposedly in.

In my opinion the things he supposedly taught are true enough in their own way and everything else in the bible is just filler written by men that can be misinterpreted by anyone. Which is exactly what happened resulting in various flavors of the religion potrayed within it. I carry the same stance on Buddhism. It's teachings are what I value, not wether or not a Buddha actually lived and did what they claimed he did. Though Buddhism carries less of that politics game towards trying to control everybody who reads it's literal teachings as far as I know so I personally like the story a little bit better. And, incidently, the Bible was in many places _literally_ copied from those scriptures from Buddhism (forgot what they where called) and other religion's scriptures.

Now, if that was in the Davinci Code, it might be worth all the hype, but of course that's only dealt with in some movie potraying scientific work that didn't recieve as much marketing attention. Oh.. and you can watch it here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4402873027
leofox wrote:
So, maybe they should read the Bible and what it says about the antichrist instead of just fearing the number 666. In fact, the only time the date was really that was in the year 6, at which time people didn't even use our current numbering system for years. And the Bible doesn't say that 666 is the date of the antichrist, it's the number. Obviously if thousands of people are born on that day, they can't all be the antichrist, and if only one was, it woudn't make much sense. If anyone killed their child, they're stupid, and very much unchristian. They do know that killing is a definite no, right?
Actually, 666 isnt the number of the antichrist. it's the number of the beast. Actually, writing out the word 666 is Hebrew numbers, spells out NRWNQSR, neron Caesar. The roman emperor Nero prosecuted christians, so they'd hate him.
And it's believed that it's actually 616, which spells out NRWQSR. A little translation error would make that 666.
Many hold that the beast == the antichrist. "yep" to the rest of your post.